Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
West Yellowstone to Andrews AFB, Clinton, MA

Plan to take 2 weeks (Aug 22 to Sep 9) to make this drive. Any recommendations on routes/POIs? Should toll roads be a concern? Thanks!
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Correction. Andrews AFB is in Clinton, Maryland!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #3

You could see the Black Hills area, lots of attractions -Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Deadwood, Wall Drug etc. Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City has a decent Fam Camp.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydu View Post
Plan to take 2 weeks (Aug 22 to Sep 9) to make this drive. Any recommendations on routes/POIs? Should toll roads be a concern? Thanks!
Hi, Lloyd
There's plenty to see along this route, but when you want to cover ground you can, as the entire thing is convenient Interstate.

I agree with Melvo.... from West Yellowstone you're closest to the I-90 corridor, and having driven I-90, I-80, and I-70,...... I'd suggest 90. His list of POIs is fine, in fact we'll be going through that way roughly the same time. We missed the Devil's Tower last time, but will hit it this year. I would add the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. to complement Wall Drug. Both are kitschy, but cool, and Mitchell is a nice little town. We stayed a few nights in Mitchell in 2012, at the Dakota Campground, not far from Exit 330.

When leaving Wall, go south on Rt 240. This is a loop road through the Badlands Nat Park, about 35-40 miles or so, and well worth the drive. It brings you back onto I-90 about 22 miles east of Wall. There's a National Park campground called Cedar Pass near the east end of the Badlands Loop where we stayed a night. No res, no hookups, no trees, no charge. Just a free place to stay, with wide open scenery.

Ultimately, to go to the DC area, you're going to have to cut south onto I-70. I-80 is a tollroad through a good part of eastern IL, all of IN and OH. I-80 through PA is good road, but too far north for your purposes, and I-76, the PA Turnpike, is heavily tolled and has a great deal of construction.

Options are many. If you specifically want to visit Chicago just stay on I-90. If not, give Chicago a wide berth. There will always be traffic and construction through Chicago on I-90. Always. You may be able to skate by the southern edge on I-80, but its a crapshoot. If you don't want Chicago, I wouldn't go any farther east on I-90 than Rockford. From there, I-39 to pick up I-74 in Bloomington, then east to catch I-70 at Indianapolis. Or, you could cut south sooner. The Interstates are all fine, and many of the US Highways in farm country are full double-barrelled freeways, as good as any Interstate. One route we've used: from I-90 go south on I-35 from Albert Lea to US 18 to US 218 near Charles City, then US 218 to I-380 to I-80 in Iowa City. About 60 miles east, near Davenport, you can get I-74 southeastward to intersect I-70 in Indianapolis. I-70 has no tolls that I know of east of the Mississippi.

When I-70 brings you into PA south of Pittsburgh, it joins the PA Turnpike. To avoid this, take I-79 south to Morgantown, then I-68 east toward Hagerstown. You'll rejoin I-70 west of Hagerstown, and stay on it to Frederick, where you will split onto I-270 toward Gaithersburg and Washington.

Now, I hate to tell you this, but to get to Andrews you're going to have to deal with the Beltway. It doesn't have to be bad, as long as you're not right in the middle of rush hour. Unfortunately, with all the staggered start/end times between the government, private sector, and military, Washington rush hours are almost endless. I would suggest trying to hit this area between about 11AM and 2PM.

As you get close to the Beltway there'll be a major split in the road. You want to stay about in the center, so you can take I-270 (not "I-270 Spur") to I-495 for Silver Spring and College Park. This will put you on the Beltway such that you will be going southward down the east side of the city. You'll go about 25-30 miles, then exit somewhere around exits 7 to 11, depending on how you want to enter Andrews.

Enjoy the trip!! When you're leaving to go to Sevierville, you'll need to deal with the Beltway again to get to I-66. Check with some local folks there about how the Wilson Bridge is doing. [It's been really bad for the last few years.] That will determine your best route.

Sorry we won't get a chance to meet at Hoots II! We had a great time last year, but can't make it this year. We'll be in Boston, awaiting our first grandchild!! Enjoy!

John
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Melvo, John,
Many thanks for the helpful tips. DW and I saw many of the sights Melvo suggested during our trip to Gillette, WY last year for the FMCA and Escapees rallies.
Planning to do an iRV2 NW regional @ Canyonville, OR; Monaco International preFMCA @ Coos Bay, FMCA @ Redmond; Yellowstone; overnight at Ellsworth AFB, do a Newmar Factory tour @ Nappanee, IN; DC ( 5 nights); Williamsburg (2 nights); iRV2 rally @ Myrtle Beach, NC; Newmar Hoots II @ Sevierville, TN; Branson, MO; Kansas City; Balloon Fest @ Albuqueque, Vegas, Brice/Zion, then back home @ Portland, OR. Whew! 😜
What route would you suggest for the Ellsworth>Nappanee run (hopefully avoiding toll roads if $$$ feasible {5 axles w/ toad})?
Thanks in advance.
John, sorry you can't join us at Hoots II. Sounds like a lot of fun with some fine people.
Aloha,
Lloyd
Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.........What route would you suggest for the Ellsworth>Nappanee run (hopefully avoiding toll roads if $$$ feasible {5 axles w/ toad})?
That's quite an itinerary! By the time you get back to Portland, you'll need a vacation!

As far as RAP-Nappanee, you'll already be on I-90..... just cut south to get on I-80 using any of the interstate or US Highway methods mentioned above. Without question the most direct route for you is I-80 to the South Bend / Elkhart area, then south on Rt 19 to Nappanee. When we went to Nappanee last summer a) we left LaSalle, IL, late morning, and rolled right through the Chicago area on I-80 with minimal delays; and b) we cut south to take US 6 all the way into Nappanee, but found a lot of the local roads around Nappanee (US 6, etc) with lots of rough spots and construction.

As I mentioned before, I-80 is tolled through much of suburban Chicago and all of Indiana. Once you get into Indiana- past the Gary/Hammond area- you could cut south to US 30 for your easting. This is good, double-barreled road but will leave you about 20 miles south of Nappanee.

To be frank, I think you ought to post a query in the Newmar Owners section, either in the Hoots thread, or the Camp Newmar sticky thread, simply asking for the best way to get into Nappanee coming east on I-80. Many of the Hoots have been there several times, know all the roads, and the great restaurants (and ice cream shops), and certainly won't steer you wrong.

Travel safe!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

Quote:
I hope that you have reservations at Andrews AFB as they are booked up a long time in advance. We tried before we left Fl in May and they said they were booked through July...Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
I hope that you have reservations at Andrews AFB as they are booked up a long time in advance. We tried before we left Fl in May and they said they were booked through July...Alan
We are booked.....in 6 Jul, out 12 Jul.
thanks for your concern.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
That's quite an itinerary! By the time you get back to Portland, you'll need a vacation!

As far as RAP-Nappanee, you'll already be on I-90..... just cut south to get on I-80 using any of the interstate or US Highway methods mentioned above. Without question the most direct route for you is I-80 to the South Bend / Elkhart area, then south on Rt 19 to Nappanee. When we went to Nappanee last summer a) we left LaSalle, IL, late morning, and rolled right through the Chicago area on I-80 with minimal delays; and b) we cut south to take US 6 all the way into Nappanee, but found a lot of the local roads around Nappanee (US 6, etc) with lots of rough spots and construction.

As I mentioned before, I-80 is tolled through much of suburban Chicago and all of Indiana. Once you get into Indiana- past the Gary/Hammond area- you could cut south to US 30 for your easting. This is good, double-barreled road but will leave you about 20 miles south of Nappanee.

To be frank, I think you ought to post a query in the Newmar Owners section, either in the Hoots thread, or the Camp Newmar sticky thread, simply asking for the best way to get into Nappanee coming east on I-80. Many of the Hoots have been there several times, know all the roads, and the great restaurants (and ice cream shops), and certainly won't steer you wrong.

Travel safe!
John,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will take your suggestion by posting my query on the Newmar Hoots thread.
Aloha,
Lloyd
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
John,
Switch it up to Camp Newmar instead of Hoots II.