RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #15

I agree with the others, that there should be no problem with those roads through Yellowstone. Slow and easy does it while enjoying the scenery, and pulling off the road when possible to let traffic by.

We pulled our 36' camper from Gardiner to West Yellowstone, then West Yellowstone to the south gate last September. The road from Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs was the most difficult, as it was very narrow and twisty. We drove the road to Cody without our 5th wheel, but saw no problems with doing it with a 5th wheel.

I think the only road within the park that is not recommended for RVers is the road from Canyon Village to Tower. Also, the roads outside of the NE gate are not recommended for RVers, If I remember correctly.

This ol' boy from the Appalachian mountains had heard all sorts of scary stories about the roads in the west, but we didn't have any problems there. As long as the OP has enough truck for the trailer, with a good engine brake, and just takes it easy, he should be fine.

MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I think the only road within the park that is not recommended for RVers is the road from Canyon Village to Tower. Also, the roads outside of the NE gate are not recommended for RVers, If I remember correctly.
I agree with MtnGuy on the road from Canyon to Tower Junction. It is passable with your truck and camper but a little hair raising. The 45' Prevost tour buses drive it all the time and I've done it with a motorhome and toad. I just prefer not to!

The roads out of the NE gate need some clarification. I personally wouldn't take my MH and toad over Bear Tooth Pass on US212. My usual route into Yellowstone is to go north from Cody on WY120 to WY296 (Chief Joseph Highway). WY296 to its intersection with US212 then west to the NE gate to Yellowstone. I think this drive is one of the more spectacular drives in the Rocky Mountain West. Yep, it is kinda steep in places but the road is adequately wide and the traffic low.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9439.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	271121  

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I agree with MtnGuy on the road from Canyon to Tower Junction. It is passable with your truck and camper but a little hair raising. The 45' Prevost tour buses drive it all the time and I've done it with a motorhome and toad. I just prefer not to!

The roads out of the NE gate need some clarification. I personally wouldn't take my MH and toad over Bear Tooth Pass on US212. My usual route into Yellowstone is to go north from Cody on WY120 to WY296 (Chief Joseph Highway). WY296 to its intersection with US212 then west to the NE gate to Yellowstone. I think this drive is one of the more spectacular drives in the Rocky Mountain West. Yep, it is kinda steep in places but the road is adequately wide and the traffic low.
Love That Drive,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beartooth  from Chief Joseph.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	271123  
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #18

Thanks for all the info!!
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #19

Use the southern loop route only. I've driven through the park with my CC, LB. dually towing a 40' 5er, the odds of being able to pull off in one of the parking lots to view attractions is very small.
Traffic jams due to animal watchers are frequent, and sometimes long, especially when schools are out. Patience is the word of the day.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Dave & Diane,

I think the route you choose should you go through the park to Cody depends on your objectives when you leave West Yellowstone. If you have not yet visited Old Faithful and West Thumb the southern route makes a lot of sense.

If on the other hand you are finished with the Yellowstone portion of your trip and are seeking the most expeditious route from West Yellowstone to Cody you may want to consider going from West Yellowstone to the junction at Madison then north to Norris and then east to Canyon and then south to Fishing Bridge.

This northern route through the center of the "figure 8" is slightly shorter, is a straighter road and has less grade than the southern route. In addition the country traversed tends to be more open increasing the chance of seeing interesting animal activity. You would also avoid the traffic congestion around Old Faithful and the geyser basins along the Firehole river.

Sounds like a good trip...have lots of fun! Take a picture of a grizzly!

This picture taken just north of Norris Junction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1015629adj&cropped.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	271263  
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #21

Here's a description of all Yellowstone's entrances:

Road to Yellowstone
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #22

Thanks again for the additional info. And yup, by the time we head to Cody we will most likely be done touring Yellowstone because we will have spend 11 days in the area and even though probably not enough time to cover very inch, enough to probably see what we need to.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #23

While it is true that COMMERCIAL THRU PARK TRUCK TRAFFIC is prohibited, just think about it! How do they refill the gas/diesel storage tanks at the stations inside the park- they certainly don’t bring it in in 5 gal Jerry cans by mule train. Then think about the groceries that are sold on a daily basis in the grocery store, fresh foods for the restaurants, souvenirs, etc how about the 40-48 passenger tour buses. Big trucks make local delivery’s every day, if they can negotiate the roads certainly you should be able to do it.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #24

It should be noted that those large delivery trucks are only allowed into the park "after hours" when there is little other traffic on the roads.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
We plan to stay at Henrys Lake State Park or Grizzly in West Yellowstone and from there work our way to Cody. I understand going through Yellowstone with a 40' 5h wheel is not suggested so I imagine taking hwy 191 or hwy 287 back up to I-90 to Columbus and then 310 down to Cody is the best way?
Anything through that stretch worth killing a couple days at because that's 300 miles and more than we normally travel in a day.
Last summer we dispersed camped with buddies for 10 days just a few miles from Henry's Lake SP. It was a great spot for touring the park in our toad.
The usual max speed limit in the park is 45mph. I wish the US and state highways in this country were in as good shape as the park's.
On one of our local side trips we accidentally discovered the Lower Mesa Falls of Henry's Fork. If you pass Harriman State Park on US20 south of Henry's Lake SP take a turn to the east on Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. In a few miles you will come to......

Name:	IMG_20190825_180010057_HDR.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	271846
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Last summer we dispersed camped with buddies for 10 days just a few miles from Henry's Lake SP. It was a great spot for touring the park in our toad.
The usual max speed limit in the park is 45mph. I wish the US and state highways in this country were in as good shape as the park's.
On one of our local side trips we accidentally discovered the Lower Mesa Falls of Henry's Fork. If you pass Harriman State Park on US20 south of Henry's Lake SP take a turn to the east on Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. In a few miles you will come to......
Attachment 271846
I will make a note of that, thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It should be noted that those large delivery trucks are only allowed into the park "after hours" when there is little other traffic on the roads.
On another note, there are dozens and dozens of very LARGE tour busses, big Prevosts and VanHools, that zing around through nearly every part of YNP every day in the summer season. They make most RV’s and most of the delivery trucks look rather small.

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone