Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Question West Yellowstone to Cody Wy

can you take a 40' MH thru park and how bad is the traffic?

40' MH and toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were there last summer. I didn't drive the MH through the park, however I did see some on the road but most were class C. The problem may be getting through when people are stopped while they look at the wildlife. When that happens it is hard to get a car through. The roads through the park are all two lane and somewhat narrow in spots. The traffic otherwise was not too bad. We drove through the park to the Grand Tetons and on to Jackson Hole and back. But like I said we were in our toad.
It is a beautiful area you won't be disappointed.

Have fun and safe travels,

Jim

Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

we have done it several times with a 40 footer and toad no problem as far as the road goes
but the bison might decide to take a stroll down the middle of the highway and traffic will be backed up forever and a bear might be in in a meadow and another traffic jam.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
As stated, "Lookie Loos" will be your biggest problem. Allow lots of time, speed limits are low, 35-45 MPH, with many going slower enjoying the sights.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Not a problem, however in the warm weather season finding campsite is a problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #6

Yes you can, with the exception of the NE quadrant road which is narrow, hilly and lots of curves, no place large enough to pull-out/park if you want to sightsee (it is doable though, one of our members drove the Beartooth highway in his 40'MH from Cooke City, MT all through the park). We've been through from West Yellowstone to Cody and out the South entrance pulling our 40' 5er several times.
Read through the search results for Yellowstone entrance for a wealth of Yellowstone information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #7

Do it. I loved the drive into Cody out the East gate. If you are into boon docking you will find several excellent spots along the way. If you want to stay in Cody you will love the Ponderosa Camp ground. On hook your toad and see the Beartooth hwy and the Chief Joseph hwy. Those memories will stay with me and will be the measure that I compare all other camping trips too.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I did the the reverse direction in a 45' with toad last time we were out that way. No problems at all going through the park on the main road. As I recall there's a choice of which way to go around the center loop, so you might ask the ranger at the entry booth which is preferred. I don't remember which way we went.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have no problems as long as you stay on the main loop road and conecting entrance roads. Dont take Grand Loop Road between Rt 16 and 212. Lots of construction, narrow windy sections and unpaved sections. I did that section in october (car) and the road construction delays were terrible (and not due to sightseers).

Not sure if that section of road work will be done when Yellowstone opens for the 2014 season.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #10

Don't have a 40' ride but have traveled that way three times in a 36' rig with toad. Beautiful between Cody and East gate. Go for it!!

Russell
Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

You can easily make the drive from West Yellostone to Cody. We've done it. If just driving and not siteseeing we would suggest you leave early morning to avoid the big rush. The road is just fine for a 40'. You just can't be in a rush as you never know what kind of critters will be the main attraction of the day.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

Did it last year with 45' towing my Jeep. Left early morning, still had traffic, animals, sightseers, but made it with patience. Not a bad drive at all. Have fun.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

thanks to all. Looking forward to trip
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Do it. I loved the drive into Cody out the East gate. If you are into boon docking you will find several excellent spots along the way. If you want to stay in Cody you will love the Ponderosa Camp ground. On hook your toad and see the Beartooth hwy and the Chief Joseph hwy. Those memories will stay with me and will be the measure that I compare all other camping trips too.
X2 fantastic