Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
West Yellowstone to Colter Bay Village

My RV Garmin says to take 20 south to 32 to 33 to 22 to 191 into Colter Bay. Is taking191 from West Yellowstone through the park towing a toad unadvisable to get to Colter Bay Village. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #2

I wouldn't advise that you take WY 22 (Teton Pass) unless you're really comfortable with a steep mtn. drive with 10% grades.

You can take 33 into Victor, ID but instead of 22 take 31 to Swan Valley and Hwy 26 into Alpine, then north into Jackson and Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

OR....from W. Yellowstone just drive through Yellowstone and south into Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

Both choices are good. If you come in from Jackson, just south of town are a couple big groceries and fuel stations if you need to re-supply.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two gypsies thanks for advise. So I am assuming that I can drive 191 south through the park with no issues to Colter Bay Village? That would be 191 and 89? Is that part of the John D Rockefeller highway? My wife gets a little nervous, so want to take easiest route ! Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As posted earlier, Teton pass is steep but doable. I've done it no problem in my 40' Class A, but I'm fairly used to mountain roads. Trade off going through Yellowstone is generally much slower due to traffic. No problems however with any size rig.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

I never went over Teton Pass to get from W Yellowstone to Colter Bay, just take the main road through the park. Other than the summer tourist traffic stopping in the middle of the road to photograph wildlife, its an easy drive. This time of year traffic is much less. Yes its mostly 191, but sections of it are also labeled 89 or 287 or JD Rockefeller Hwy. Its the only main road from Yellowstone Park to Tetons, as long as you make the right (south) at Madison Junction, past Old Faithful, past West Thumb, past Lewis Lake, you can't miss Colter Bay Village.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

West Yellowstone to Coulter bay through the park is a piece of cake. Good 2 lane paved road. Only hazard are the Bison, they own the road. We did the trip from Coulter to West Yellowstone last year in a 37 ft Bounder pulling a Colorado toad. Just Don't be in a hurry speed limit is 45 I think. It is really a nice drive.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Check Fires

News reports here in Montana yesterday said the south entrance to Yellowstone was closed due to fires. I wasn't listening to specifics, but please check prior to actually taking a route that way.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

The national park web sites always give good updates to any issues - fires or various closings, road construction, etc. Always check them out before entering the parks anywhere. There is a lot of excellent information on other things, too, like campgrounds, things to do, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/conditions.htm Grand Teton Nat'l Park

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm Yellowstone Nat'l Park

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4954/
Fire Info for all states (zoom out/in and click on a fire symbol and it will tell all about the fire and what to expect.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've also driven though Yellowstone from West Yellowstone to get to Grand Teton through Yellowstone's south entrance. We did it early in the morning so we were treated to views of the park's wildlife and steam rising from the geysers into the cool morning air. Great photo ops!

As other said, this is a "piece of cake" route.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote