Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Western PA to Indy - I-70 or alternate route?

Heading from Washington PA (south of Pittsburg) to a campground northeast of Indy. Maps seem to show lots of construction along I-70. Does anyone know the road conditions or if there is a recommended alternate route? I didn't see any obvious alternatives on the map without going many miles out of the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

vawinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
We just did that route last week and it wasn't bad at all. Other than the road itself is awful. but we tracker on a Sunday which may have helped.

2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer - 37'

2005 Honda Pilot
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
There's no other route as fast or safe as I-70. You could get off I-70 and follow U.S. 40 where it still exists, but much of it was absorbed into I-70. Alternate routes have turning cars, cross traffic, stop lights, etc. I've been driving that route since it was under construction in the late 1960's, it's the best route, believe me!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's the most direct route & as long as you plan to not go through Columbus, OH during rush hours, you'll be ok. Last I was through there, the section west of Richmond, IN was horrible with pot holes & patches. I thought we'd blow a tire it was so bad. Just be careful going through there if it's not changed any.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Lori about the road conditions. Also, between Richmond, IN and Indy the road is 2 lanes each way, very flat, and it's the section of the highway I've been trapped behind 18 wheelers that block both lanes of traffic for long stretches. I think it's because there's no grades to make them pull over to the right lane so it's just a wall of trucks for miles on end. In Ohio and other stretches in Illinois, the highway opens up to 3 lanes or more. Just be patient!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
And if your not in a hurrybhow about US30. Its our only route thru that area
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a shame the interstates are in this horrendous condition. With a country that is 20 Trillion in debt and not a cent has hardly been spent on infrastructure, it's just shameful!

Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote