Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Westward Bound, but not sure what route.

Hi everyone.

I'm headed to Alaska this summer; I'm not retired, but did get my work to agree to 3 months unpaid leave. I'm planning to leave around the end of May and have to be in Couer d'Alene on June 11th, as I'm going to be going with a group of people I met through our manufacturer rallies.

So, here's the background and my question. I'm from Spokane, WA--which is basically across the border from Couer d'Alene and one sister still lives there. I currently live in Indianapolis. I've camped in all of the states where i-90 runs with the exception of Illinois. I'm looking to find routes coming and going that are not the same and hit as many places as I can that I've not camped in, though I will say that I adore the Badlands, but I've been there.

Here are the states that I've not camped in, and in no way do I need to hit all of them, I'm just making a list:
Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Oregon. Also, all of Canada.

So, what route would you pick given that I'll have at least 2 weeks prior to needing to meet and about 2 weeks to come back?

I have thought about going north up through Michigan, crossing the bridge to the UP and taking U.S. 2 across (the "High Road").

I've also thought about crossing into Ontario at the Soo and taking the TCH. However, it looks like the TCH from that part of Ontario follows (somewhat) the shore of Lake Superior. While it's probably beautiful, it looks twisty. Not sure how great a road it is?

Finally, a pretty straight forward route would be to go out like I-80 which would help me get several states I've not camped in. If I get to Spokane fairly quickly, I'll dry camp in my sister's very long driveway and hang out with the family until it's time for me to meet the others. Any thoughts on any of these routes or advice? Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdit92 View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm headed to Alaska this summer; I'm not retired, but did get my work to agree to 3 months unpaid leave. I'm planning to leave around the end of May and have to be in Couer d'Alene on June 11th, as I'm going to be going with a group of people I met through our manufacturer rallies.

So, here's the background and my question. I'm from Spokane, WA--which is basically across the border from Couer d'Alene and one sister still lives there. I currently live in Indianapolis. I've camped in all of the states where i-90 runs with the exception of Illinois. I'm looking to find routes coming and going that are not the same and hit as many places as I can that I've not camped in, though I will say that I adore the Badlands, but I've been there.

Here are the states that I've not camped in, and in no way do I need to hit all of them, I'm just making a list:
Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Oregon. Also, all of Canada.

So, what route would you pick given that I'll have at least 2 weeks prior to needing to meet and about 2 weeks to come back?

I have thought about going north up through Michigan, crossing the bridge to the UP and taking U.S. 2 across (the "High Road").

I've also thought about crossing into Ontario at the Soo and taking the TCH. However, it looks like the TCH from that part of Ontario follows (somewhat) the shore of Lake Superior. While it's probably beautiful, it looks twisty. Not sure how great a road it is?

Finally, a pretty straight forward route would be to go out like I-80 which would help me get several states I've not camped in. If I get to Spokane fairly quickly, I'll dry camp in my sister's very long driveway and hang out with the family until it's time for me to meet the others. Any thoughts on any of these routes or advice? Thank you!
I definately recommend US 2 coming or going. We did it from Everett to St Ignace a couple of years ago and really liked it. Roads are good and there are plenty of stops along the way.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
I suggest running I-80 west to Salt Lake, then I-15 south/west to Los Vegas, then take US-95 north to I-80 and follow back east to re-join US 95 north @ Winnemucca, then north to Idaho, continue on US-95 north to Coeur d'Alene, & on to Spokane..
If you have time constraints on the outbound..
Just stay on I-80 in Utah to Nevada to Wells, then north on US-93 thru Idaho and into MT.
Or if really caught short on time, run I-15 north out of Salt Lake to Missoula and then west to WA.

For your return trip I suggest going back using the northern route (US-2/ I-94) to avoid the summer heat..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #4

X2 on US-2

Hate traveling Interstates
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #5

Hwy 2 from Michigan would be our choice. It's a nice drive.

For the second direction take I-90.

… or TCH. It's an easy drive. Midway it's just like crossing the Plains states - open flat prairie.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #6

From a traffic and surface condition, I like I-90 and usually get there via I-39
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We just did the West to East to West trip last Fall. TCH was better than I90 as far as smooth goes. Lots to see both routes IMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #8

If you choose the Mich route into Canada, just plan ahead for higher fuel expense. I prefer US2 when heading West out of N. Mich., but then if you are heading to AK, you will probably see enough remote areas anyway. My wife has a saying in long drives through remote areas,"you seen one tree, you have seen them all".
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take I-80 to Iowa then get on 30 and see America... All the way thru Iowa. Do the "Charles Kuralt" thing until your DW stops you and tells you to get back on the interstate. That's what I do.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip