Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What I need to know on CA, OR and WA

Will be travaling up through CA, OR and WA. What are the things I need to know?
I understand OR charges a deposit on bottles and you can't pump your own fuel. Anything else I should know to plan ahead for?

Anything you can't bring into California such as fruit or food items or drinks?
I recall over 40 years ago having to stop for something going into CA.

Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #2

No really big deal issues in any of the state's.

WA - high gas prices because of state taxes. There may be other thingsvvto consider depending on your destinations and routes (like ferries and toll bridges)

OR - the deposit on bottles has or will increase to .10 per, but you can turn them in for a refund. Yes, they pump your gas but their prices are comparable to Washington prices.

CA - Yes, there is an agricultural check at entry points. It's not a big deal and doesn't take long. Their priority seems to be home grown fruit or vegetables. If you have brand names purchased in a supermarket, you will probably be ok.

The major irritants are the high gas prices and the towing speed limit. The speed is 55 if you are towing anything.

Note on the Ag check: At one check, my wife was driving the car while I drove the MH. At the check point, they asked me about fruits and vegetables. My response was, "I have no idea, ask the lady in the Honda in the next lane." I thought for sure they would do a search but they just grinned and waved me though.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the towing speed limit. I'll have to practice driving that slow. Kind of like that song, "I can't drive, 55".
Old 05-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

Great advice given already, I will add another (as a CA resident). When you shop at the grocery store, bring your own reusable bags. If not, you will either find yourself with a basket load of individual items, or be charged for the store provided bags.

We just completed a trip both North and South the full length of the state. Initially it was frustrating to keep it at 55. At then end of the driving day I hadn't traveled my usual distance, but I was considerably more relaxed...and got better fuel mileage.

As far as AG stops, no big deal. I informed the agent that there were no home grown items onboard. She then inquired about mangos. That was a new one for me.

BTW...you pump your own gas in CA.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just traveled from San Diego to Oregon, then to Boise Idaho.

In CA watch out for I-5 through LA, the road is in awful condition, ruts, potholes, breaking up surface. Once you get N of LA I-5 is not bad. An alternate route through LA would be I-405

Speed limit is 55 only for trucks or vehicles with 3 or more axles or if towing. If you do not have a tag and are not towing a toad 55 does not apply. I was going about 67 until noticing the speed limit for 3 or more axles then slowed down to about 61, that was what truckers were going. Noticed a significant increase in MPG (at least as indicated on the onboard computer) when I slowed down, seems the sweet spot for my rig is about 60-61 at 1650 RPM's.

Was stopped going into CA on the way down and they asked about fruit but when we said fruit we had was purchased at a store they let us go.

Fuel is cheaper in Oregon than CA, especially diesel, even though you can not pump your own.

Have a great and safe trip....
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Just traveled from San Diego to Oregon, then to Boise Idaho.

Speed limit is 55 only for trucks or vehicles with 3 or more axles or if towing. If you do not have a tag and are not towing a toad 55 does not apply. I was going about 67 until noticing the speed limit for 3 or more axles then slowed down to about 61, that was what truckers were going. Noticed a significant increase in MPG (at least as indicated on the onboard computer) when I slowed down, seems the sweet spot for my rig is about 60-61 at 1650 RPM's.

Disclaimer: I am not now or ever was a member of law enforcement. Nor am I an expert in vehicular law in CA.

There are generally three signs on the right when entering a highway/freeway in CA. On posts the max speed in general. The next posts the max speed (55) for trucks with 3 axles or more, the final sign indicates a 55 max speed limit for all vehicles towing another vehicle/trailer, etc. It is this third sign that regulates us when we tow our Jeep. My observation is that this law is infrequently (or rarely) enforced. That said, I choose to obey the law. I travel the CA highways at 55 when towing. In the flats, I put the tranny in economy mode. This alters the Allison shift pattern and allows me to travel in 6th gear.

To the OP, after leaving LA northbound, we decided to continue to Oregon on I-99 (at least as far as Red Bluff, CA...thereafter we were on I-5). Southbound, we again drove I-99. Instead of pulling the Grapevine again, we took a left turn at Bakersfield and drove the Tehachapi over toward I-15 via the 138 into Lancaster/Palmdale.

Safe travels
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a California escapee, but I lived in California for many years. The general rule of thumb seemed to be posted plus 20. While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, I've seldom seen anyone pulled over by CHP unless they were going significantly over the speed limit and being an idiot about it such as making frequent lane changes while going much faster than general traffic.

I-5 after you clear LA still can be a very stressful drive. I've driven it lots and lots of times. Speed limit is typically 70, but much of the traffic moves at 80-85, with more than few nuts weaving in and out of traffic at 90 (those are the guys the CHP are looking for). I don't miss it at all. Weekends are horrible. Middle of the week is not so bad.

Perhaps the scariest part of a weekend I-5 drive is when traffic in the left lane comes to a halt or significant slow down (like down to 20) when a truck pulls out around an RV doing 55. The main traffic flow backs up behind the truck. I've had times where traffic went from 80 to stopped in a very short distance.

I've never driven the 5 in an RV, but I would keep up with the trucks and not become an obstacle for them. I'd do 60-65 and tuck in behind a truck and stay there. Also be ready for the above mentioned idiots to pull in front of you if they think they can gain 50 ft. Doing 55 is really dangerous on the 5.

I found the 5 to be so stressful, that often we would take the 99 through Bakersfield, Fresno, Merced, etc. Traffic is generally slower and while it takes longer, you are much less worried about the guy in the Mercedes or 7 Series BMW who considers the road all his. Just watch out for local agricultural traffic as large parts 99 have cross traffic.

North of Sacramento, things aren't quite a crazy on the 5. Been a long time since I did the 5 in Oregon, but at the time it was far more sane than in California.

Washington on the 5 can be one big speed trap so observe the posted speed limits. You might get 5 MPH grace, but might not too. The last ticket I got (long, long ago) was on the 5 just outside of Everett. Getting through Seattle is just slow. The 405 around Seattle is no prize either and is as bad as the 5 at rush hour.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

I will add one more thing about Kalifornia.
If you are travelling with firearms there are numerous restrictions that you need to be aware of.
Research them before heading that way.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

While you cannot pump gasoline, you most certainally CAN pump your own diesel. But there is no discount for doing so, so let the pump jockeys do it for you. Oregon is a widely diverse state, so visiting can depend on your likes. Coase, best viewed north to south. Valley, lots of traffic and basically I5. Central, 97 is a fantastic drive thru mostly pine forests. Eastern, mostly high desert sparsely polulated. Washington is basically the same.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
To the OP, after leaving LA northbound, we decided to continue to Oregon on I-99 (at least as far as Red Bluff, CA...thereafter we were on I-5). Southbound, we again drove I-99. Instead of pulling the Grapevine again, we took a left turn at Bakersfield and drove the Tehachapi over toward I-15 via the 138 into Lancaster/Palmdale.
Actually, if you make a left in Bakersfield (going south) you will turn on CA-58 and go over the Tehachapi's to Hwy 14 to Palmdale and then to Hwy 138 to I-15.

Quote:
Fuel is cheaper in Oregon than CA, especially diesel, even though you can not pump your own.
Yes, fuel is a little cheaper in Oregon but not by much. And no, your can't pump your own "gas" but you can pump your own "diesel".

Both CA and OR have the 55mph speed limits, but most trucks and others that are suppose to be obeying this law usually are trucking along between 60 and 65. I usually find a trucker (or two) that are going my speed (62) and follow them.

Where ever you enter California, just be prepared to stop at the the inspection station. I will remove my sun glasses and open my window to be able to speak to them. With my CA plates, I very seldom ever have to stop, but I've noticed that those with out of state plates will have to. A BIG no-no is firewood! Never haul whatever firewood you have left over. Get new at your next stop.

Good luck and enjoy our beautiful western states.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

My fuel capacity is 130 gallons.
I can go from Yuma to San Diego to the Northern California border on that. Fuel up before and after.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #12

I-5 south of SAC was just terrible earlier this year. Broken up sections of asphalt just beat the heck out of us. Hope this situation is turned around.....

I'll go through Nevada next Feb when going to Death Valley.

If you have a boat, be ready to have it inspected going into CA, OR, WA or ID for invasive species. If you are from AZ, you will get you boat inspected, sprayed and washed to avoid shellfish who tag along.
Oregon RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post

Where ever you enter California, just be prepared to stop at the the inspection station. I will remove my sun glasses and open my window to be able to speak to them. With my CA plates, I very seldom ever have to stop, but I've noticed that those with out of state plates will have to. A BIG no-no is firewood! Never haul whatever firewood you have left over. Get new at your next stop.

Good luck and enjoy our beautiful western states.

Ron
Firewood seems to be the new go to for the "bug stations" in Cali. It's a definite no no. Last time through the newly remodeled station on 50 in So Tahoe all RV's are directed to enter the inspection lane by a new electronic sign. No mention of fruits or vegetables, just " where have you been" and " do you have any firewood.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #14

Good advice above. I would reinforce the awful highways in CA - 99 is slightly better than I5. Highway 101 is in better shape than both and is a much prettier drive up past the redwoods. Oregon roads were in good shape and the state parks are really nice with most having large sites with power and water. Drive the coast of all three states north to south for ease of pull off and better views.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote