Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is 65 like to drive from Little Rock to Branson

Heading to Branson for a stopover a few days on way to Omaha from Fl and have a question. What is 65 like to drive from Little Rock to Branson? Is there a better way from Fl? we are in a 34 ft gasser? First long trip for us. Good Sam trip planner takes us from Jax to ATL to Birmingham and then up through Memphis. (might stop at Graceland if time permits) We are on a little bit of a schedule and limited time. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #2

I took this route once, last March. Got off of I40 at Little Rock, onto 65 going north. Some spots had some road resufacing going on then, which left very little room to pass through. Some spots before you get to Harrison were hilly and curvy. Once you go through Harrison, it's a regular four lane highway into Branson. For what its worth, take your time and you should do fine. You didn't say exactly when, so check the weather reports. Sometimes the Arkansas area can get some nasty ice storms.

Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lanny
Thanks for the info. We will be traveling Mid April.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We drove it two years ago March. Lots of hills that are steep and on the downhill a 40 mph curve at the bottom with a bridge is normal. My wife refused to look out the window.

Spent a lot of time going 40mph uphill and downhill with a string of cars behind me. Once in a while there are passing lanes on the uphills.

The road itself was smooth and the views were magnificent. Just don't be in a hurry and make sure your brakes are good. You'll need them.

And correct, the last few miles are four lane highway which is very nice.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend of mine who is a flat lander told me he drove it in a class C with his wife on the floor with a migraine, crying. She was terrified.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bobgio,
I've driven it several times. 40' DP towing a car. While the road is up down and around, I did not think it was as bad a the previous posters. The bottom line is based on coming from the south, it is your only choice. Just take your time, watch the road signs. Tell the wife to enjoy:
1. the scenery
2. phone or IPad games
3. texting/communicating
4. assuming you have internet available, have her go to https://www.bransonshows.com/activit...0J4aAhuh8P8HAQ and determine what shows she would like to see. That will take most of the trip.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 AM   #7

Have driven it many times. Piece of cake. I can't imagine anybody being scared enough to not look out the window. It's just a plain old 2 lane each direction highway. Nothing steep, nothing curvy. Maybe a little road construction, but not enough to even slow you down.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the input folks! Looking forward to our adventure!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Have driven it many times. Piece of cake. I can't imagine anybody being scared enough to not look out the window. It's just a plain old 2 lane each direction highway. Nothing steep, nothing curvy. Maybe a little road construction, but not enough to even slow you down.
Don't know what US 65 you were on, but the one the OP inquired about is VERY hilly with numerous curves, some 180 degree, between Conway Arkansas and Harrison Arkansas.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

I have driven Hwy 65 from Conway to Branson with return trips. Do not let the above posters scare you because it is a good two lane road. If this road scared them that much then they better never try the Rockies. Yes there are some good hills and if driven correctly you will use your transmission to assist with speed control on several downhills. A few downhills are steep but short and safely driven daily by MH's and Big Trucks. Actually it is a very pretty drive.

I have done 3 round trips with a 44' DP with toad.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with osok. 65 is a decent road with some interesting scenery. Have done that trip several times in a 43 ft DP plus toad. I think some of the posters on here have overstated their memories. It is not nearly as challenging as Branson city traffic!