Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

What is a good route from Phoenix, Az to Cresent City, Ca ?

By a good route I mean one that would miss big city traffic and avoid extreme climbing.

Good places to stop along the way?

Is Tahoe worth a stop? (We will have a canoe)

Any comments will be valued!

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

Tahoe, will put you going up some of the worst climbs. JMHO.
One route into Tahoe from Nevada , even recommends against trailers.
I've run many of the routes from Parker trough California in the past 10 years, and can't thing of any good roads that don't have climbs getting from Phoenix into the central valley. Then from say Redding over to the coast road has a pretty big pull or two on it too.
Are you looking for a quick trip ? Planning to travel on a week day or weekend ? Trough the summer or after the kids are back in school ?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

I live in Oregon about 40 miles NE of Crescent City and have property near Kingman, AZ. Coming home we often go through Las Vegas and up 93 through Reno area to Susanville and across to I-5 on 44 & 89 (I think). So I'd suggest that route to I-5 and up to Grants Pass and down 199 to Crescent City. Much or most of this is two lane highway so if you prefer freeways this route is not for you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

We are planning a trip to the Oregon/Washington Coast in a couple of weeks ourselves. We live just north of Prescott. We have been to the N. CA and Oregon Coast two time in the past. We came back via the Susanville, Reno, Las Vegas route and also up 395 and 97 corridor and up CA 1 and US 101 from LA. It has been a while so I don't remember all the details except there was not a favorite route (Well maybe the coast route, over three months, but the CA Coast is not our goal this time)! We don't know which route we are going to take this time. May not decide until we pull out of the driveway.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We traveled from Texas to CA then to Crescent City and up Hwy 199.

We took I-10 to CA, then picked up Hwy 101N all the way to Crescent City, with stops at CG's along the way. I was driving a 40 ft DP pulling a toad and had no problems, even going up Hwy 199, which was definitely a ride especially for DW sitting in the passenger seat looking "down." You may be able to pick up 101 further up than we had to coming off of I-10. That would avoid some of the LA traffic but we did it around 9-10 in the a.m. and had no problems.

I did take I-8 one time and found the grades a little steep.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Doners Pass in California is the highest elevation in the country. Incline 40 miles up and 40 miles down. Tahoe is on the way down. Not a good ride. Our bus handled it well but hard on the nerves for such a long stretch. Now when we go to California from Phoenix we go Hwy 10 and up California on 5.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

Orbit, if you do go through Susanville, Eagle Lake would be a great place to plan a stop ; if you have time. It's been a number of years since I was there, but friends from CA. say it is still one of their favorite spots.
It's in the mountains , so late in the season it would get cold.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Parrett1002. Donner pass highest elevation in country? Donner pass elevation 7,057 ft. Eisenhower tunnel elevation on I-70 in Colo. 11,013.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
Parrett1002. Donner pass highest elevation in country? Donner pass elevation 7,057 ft. Eisenhower tunnel elevation on I-70 in Colo. 11,013.
x2!!!!!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Thanks,
We are going the second week in August are will allow 5-6 days to get there...thinking about stops along the way that might be interesting