Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

What is the best route between Memphis and Atlanta

We have a 37ft Class A with a toad. I am concern aped about road conditions and low bridges. What is the least troublesome route between Memphis and Atlanta? The shortest is the 78/22 through Birmingham. The longer, but all interstate (and most likely more suitable for my rig) is I-40 to just short of Nashville, then taking the 24 to the 75. Is State 78 to I-22 to Birmingham then I-20 to Atlanta. This is happening very soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
78/22 is mostly interstate now. Just before you hit Birmingham you will find some construction on 78/22 but it won't be any problem.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
78/22 is mostly interstate now. Just before you hit Birmingham you will find some construction on 78/22 but it won't be any problem.

Jon
I think as long as it is not this week, you will be fine.

Multiple lane closures and rolling roadblocks at I-22 interchange construction zone this week | AL.com

Oh, and keep plenty of distance on I 20 between Leeds and pell city, alabama
Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #4

This is a lot easier now that 22 ends at Coalburg road (it does not connect to 65 directly yet) so stay on 22 until the very end when you have to get off (do not get off at 78).

Go right at the top of the off ramp (south) on Coalburg for about a mile or so, and then left (east) at the first light which is Daniel Payne Road, which leads you to 65 which is less than a 1/2 mile.

There is a Flying J where Daniel Payne mets 65 if you need a stop / fuel.

The 65 south / 20 east interchange is tricky, and if I remember correctly you have to be in the left lanes on 65 south to make the transition to 20 east. And 20 in downtown Birmingham is tight and very busy, and you need to pay close attention to speed and lanes.

20 from Birmingham to Atlanta is very heavy with big rigs during the week, so it's not a fun drive either, so if you can do it on a weekend it is a much less stressful drive.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Thanks to all for the quick and comprehensive responses. This forum is awesome!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
....The 65 south / 20 east interchange is tricky, and if I remember correctly you have to be in the left lanes on 65 south to make the transition to 20 east. And 20 in downtown Birmingham is tight and very busy, and you need to pay close attention to speed and lanes.

When you see the signs for 20 East, you want to get in the 2nd lane from the left. The two left lanes exit to 20 and the far left merges into the right lane after exiting.