Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What length class A to purchase for state parks??

We are currently looking to purchase a class A. I've heard that if I purchase a unit that is 36 foot max ( some say 34) that I'll be able to get into most or at least many more campgrounds than I would with say a 40 footer. We will be staying in mostly State Parks and Army Corps. of engineers campgrounds. I've been checking out many of them and really haven't found that many that don't have at least some sites to handle a 40 footer. However many of the campgrounds appear to only have a very limited number of the larger sites. Is that limited number of sites in each campground the reason I should get a 34 or 36 footer?
Many Thanks, Confused

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

This is a question I've asked to. It seem the general feeling is get the coach you're most comfortable with and you can deal with the size issue if it comes into play. I think most owners of the bigger rigs will tell you that if a CG won't accept your size rig, you can find one nearby that will.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

We have stayed and a great many state parks and most of them have spaces that will handle the bigger rigs. A lot depends on how old the campground is. I've been to some that I'd be hesitant to take my 31 footer. I've also seen a lot of sites that you'd have to bring along a chord of 2x6's to level up a motorhome, and various other issue. It is true that the smaller units will find spaces they fit better than the big ones. The ting is you have to call ahead or take a good look at the campground map, website to make sure the spot you are assigned can handle your MH.

Having said all of the above, anything in the 33-36 ft range should be fine (most of the time).
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've stayed in a fair number of state parks, and have not found our 40 ft length to have been a problem. Frankly, our most consistent difficulty with State Parks has been the scarcity of 50A power and sewer connections. Not a big, big deal for an overnight, but a problem for longer stays.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There's one close by that we've stayed in with our 40' Dutch Star DP, but they did have a whole section for large RV's. We also stayed in that same park in our 17' Type B MH in the forested loops.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #6

The issue we've had is not a lot of 50 amp electric, sewer hook ups and low hanging tree branches. When I've talked to the Rangers about the trees they acknowledge the problem, but a lot of state budgets don't have the dollars for maintenance.
A lot of these parks are real gems but deferred maintenance is really beginning to show. I do understand there is a finite amount of dollars and everything cannot be fully funded. Just my view from the drivers seat.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

I travel in a 42 foot MH and have found that many, if not most, state parks in the eastern part of the US can accommodate my rig. Out west it seems to be just the opposite where 35-36 foot is the max. Lots and lots of state and federal parks and lands have tha 35 ft max.
However we have alway found campgrounds near those places that we can fit into easily. We are headed out west again this year.
If you plan on going out west and want to stay in state and national parks I'd look at coaches 36 ft or less.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree a larger coach can be a problem, but if a 34-35' can be accommodated, usually so can a 40'. And if not, there is something nearby that can. And the problems are not only length but room for multiple slides, trees at the site and road to the site, etc., which these problems can be applicable to most any length coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Get on line try reservations, without making any, at the state/places YOU might stay at and add the time of year and see what is available. Many parks have sites but are already reserved months ahead. So the smaller clubs have an advantage. You can try with several size coach's. Think you will find yes they have large sites but not for you.

LEN
Old 05-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

I guess it depends on the state and the parks. Many state and national parks we've visited in the west are very small, dirt roads, not accessible at all for our 35' fifth wheel.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I travel in a 42 foot MH and have found that many, if not most, state parks in the eastern part of the US can accommodate my rig. Out west it seems to be just the opposite where 35-36 foot is the max. Lots and lots of state and federal parks and lands have tha 35 ft max.
However we have alway found campgrounds near those places that we can fit into easily. We are headed out west again this year.
If you plan on going out west and want to stay in state and national parks I'd look at coaches 36 ft or less.
We full-timed and used public parks 90% of our time. I can assure you that in the Western states a 40' will fit in the majority of parks. No, you won't fit in the majority of California state parks but there are many good or better options.

We've fit in many national parks such as Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce and others. I'll also note that we don't do reservations. We also fit in national forest campgrounds and city and county parks.

Again, you won't fit in EVERY park but you will fit in the majority. Even a 30' won't fit in EVERY park.

Also, I fail to see why one really needs 50A or full hookup.

OP: I'd suggest that you check out the parks that you're likely to visit and go from there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Its not a particular length, but definitely anything over even 25' and you start having fewer options at state parks. We're 40', and even if a park accommodates us, there will be fewer options than, say, 35'. I have found 35' is a fairly common length limitation for individual sites. What is useful is many parks on their reservation page (especially if with reserveamerica) show pictures of the site, and you can often figure out the site layout with google maps (satellite view). I agree with earlier posters about other limitations for motorhome, especially tree limbs.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
We've stayed in state parks all over the country in our 40' coach with no problems..... We even pull a Mini Cooper and still have no issues.....
Old 06-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

It's going to vary by park & by state . We have s 36 ft & have found we have fewer options than when we had s 34 ft

Tags
class a, purchase