Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We will be doing a 10day to 2 week trip to the New England states in June. The general thought right now is to over to Boston area, then up to Bar Harbor, over to White Mountains, then towards Burlington and finally down to Lake George. What do we want to see in those area's and how long should we allow for places like Bar Harbor? Are there better places to go to in any of those states? Should we be going lower in New Hampshire or Vermont for example? All suggestions appreciated.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We will be doing a 10day to 2 week trip to the New England states in June. The general thought right now is to over to Boston area, then up to Bar Harbor, over to White Mountains, then towards Burlington and finally down to Lake George. What do we want to see in those area's and how long should we allow for places like Bar Harbor? Are there better places to go to in any of those states? Should we be going lower in New Hampshire or Vermont for example? All suggestions appreciated.
Mike
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #3

How I envy you! That is where I was born and grew up. We are looking forward to retirement when we can travel there. What to see and do depends on your likes and dislikes. Having grown up near Plymouth, I would tell you Plimoth Plantation is a great place to visit. Plymouth also has a historical wax museum and the Mayflower. If you don't mind traffic, Cape Cod is also a great place to visit, as well as Martha's Vineyard. Your other choices are great ones. New England has so many great back roads especially in New Hampshire and Vermont. Others will come along and offer advice, but my best advice is to do your homework and stay off the main roads where you can.

www.plimoth.org

2001 Ford F250 Diesel
RoyandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #4

Boston area campgrounds that are close enough to the city are few and far between. My favorite is Normandy Farms, never stayed here ,but good reviewsMinuteman campground.I live in this area,feel free to call me if needed,or if you need an overnight , I am at the juction of 95 and 495 at the NH border.Bar Harbor is a sight to behold,mt. desert narrows resort is at the begining of acadia ,resort type campground. There is a lot more within 15 miles of park. The White Mountains is vast area,we like N.Conway area,lots of things to see and some great campgrounds.I have stayed at a lot in this area ,so do a search at http://ucampnh.com/ and let me know what you are interested in I will comment.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks for the tips so far. Keep them coming.
I know it is hard for people to suggest places to go when they dont know what people like. The first thing we all like is scenery. That includes the mountains, lakes, wildlife, whale watching (Bar harbor). Then in no set order would be kids stuff and of course shopping. Although museums are real big on our favorites, things like recreated towns are.
Mike
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Baxter State park (Appalachian Trail ends on Mt. Katadin there)

Moosehead Lake and the nearby town

Camden, Maine - Movie Peyton Place filmed there.
Waterfront area is very interesting.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #7

I would spend at least a couple of days in Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park is beautiful and the whale watching is good. The KOA just over the bridge on the right is the best KOA we've stayed in. We had a spot right on the ocean. There are a couple of lobster pounds just before the bridge. Get a couple cooked and bring them back to your site.

On the way to Bar Harbor you could consider stopping at Freeport. LLBean is there along with lots of other stores.

I would head from Bar Harbor to North Conway, NH via Gray, Me exit from rt 95 to rt 202 to rt 302. North Conway is a beautiful town at the foot of the white mountains. Just north of Conway are Jackson and Mount Washington. Mt Washington is the highest mountain on the east coast and has a vertical drop rivaling colorado. Take your car to the top if it's a good day.

Campgrounds abound in New England. From Mt Washington go rt 3 to rt 93, the scenery and parks are beautiful. You can stop where the old man of the mountain used to be.

I would head south to the lakes region and visit meredith, wolfeboro and laconia. Take a ride on the Mount Washington, a 300 foot ship. Stay at Elacoya state park on the shores of Winnipesaukee. You won't be disappointed. From the lakes region go south to Concord, NH and take rt 89 to Vermont. There's a very nice campground in or near Woodstock, Vt. I would head north to Burlington. The Cabot Cheese factory is worth a visit. Burlington itself has lots of nice restaurants and sits on the shore of beautiful lake Champlain. I think we stayed at Lonely Pines? campground which was great. See the museum in Shelbourne and the Teddy Bear factory. Then head south to Glens Falls area. Lake George is the highlight of that area.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We are planning on taking our time up Rt 1 from Plymouth towards Bar Harbor with an overnight stop someplace. Maybe the Freeport area or would you recommend someplace else? Then we were thinking about leaving Bar Harbor after a couple of days and going to Lubec. What do you think of that? Then we want to get to the White Mtns. Our thoughts were to stay in the Twin lakes area and go by car to the adjoining area like Conway and the Kan highway etc. Would you suggest N. Conway over Twin Lakes as the place to stay? Which place can we get to easier from either Bar harbor or Lubec- Twin Mtns. or N. Conway? We want to leave there and get over to Stow and then onto Burlington and then Lake Placid as easily as possible. Which would be better to leave from, N. Conway or Twin Mts?
Where to you suggest staying at Lake Placid and is there a place around Stow or towards Burlington?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On edit, we wonder what is the overall best way to get from the Portsmouth NH area up to Bar Harbor. We want to see some of the coastal scenery without being on I95 the whole way plus dont want to deal the high tolls. Don't mind staying overnight between the two locations but want to be able to get into Bar Harbor by about noon the next day.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #10

There is a KOA north of Lake Placid, NY. This is the nicest KOA I have ever stayed in (nor am I a fan of them generally). Has full hookups, pull-through sites. This campground is heavily wooded with great hiking along the Ausable river. Easy drive to Lake Placid.

It is in Wilmington, NY, home of Whiteface Mountain. About 10 miles north-east of Lake Placid. You won't be disappointed.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanks Don. Any suggestion for the Stow area?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #12

I've ski'd at Stowe numerous times (in my younger years) but never been there with the motorhome.

Let us know where you end up. It's a beautiful area.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
How is Rt2 from Maine over to the White Mountain NH. area for motorhome and toad travel?
Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #14

I can only comment on RTE 2 in NH. Very scenic ,lots of turns and hills but very doable.There is a nice campground in shelburne ,nh on the right when you are heading west.Nice pull thrus and price was very reasonable.http://www.whitebirchescampingpark.c....asp?file=Home $27.00 a night ,great for this area.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote