Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

What's the BEST Trip Planner App?

Trying to plan a round trip lasting about 30 days. What's the best route planning app out there that will also help you find a place to park your RV. Ideally we'd like a park with hookups where we can stay 3-4 days at each stop. Is there an app out there that plans the route and helps to find RV parks?
DG8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club

Everyone has their personal favorites. I use a combination of apps.

Microsoft Streets and Trips (now discontinued), used to plan the route.

RVParky, used to find places to stay

Microsoft Excel (on trips over about 45 days), because I load data on leg miles, total miles, whether I"m staying at CG or 'on the fly', CG specifics (water/sewer/power), reservation numbers, site numbers, how much put down as deposit, and details of things to do and stops to make on each leg, etc

This topic has been discussed numerous times before. Do a little searching, you can read for hours.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

My wife (The best navigator on the team) Uses multiple tools.

Pre-trip planning is done with a Macintosh app Road Trip Planner and Google on my laptop. This provides only a general path +/- 500 miles each side.

Daily paths are formed with a combination of Google Maps and Apple Maps and Trucker Path pro.

Food is generally located as we drive with Google, Apple, Yelp, Trip advisor, etc web sites.

Fuel is located as needed on the fly with an iPad app Trucker Path Pro. Enter the route and it will show food, rest stops, truck stops, Walmarts and other feature along the route.

Camp grounds are located on the fly with Good Sam, KOA, and campjellystone.com web sites and checked with aerial views from Google maps. We also have iPad app for public camps in the US and Canada from the same people that sell Road Trip Planner.

We also have a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS that we use for planning occasionally.

As a backup we also carry the Good Sam, KOA directories and a trucker atlas as well as the state maps and local materials for each state we pick up at the welcome station as we enter each state.

Please note that we do not make any advance reservations with the exception of major attraction and on holidays and even then it is an exception if the reservations are more that 2 weeks out. Most overnight reservations are made the morning of the same day. Some times this means we spend the night in a truck stop but we are OK with that. We really love the freedom to change plans daily, as we learn new things about an area.

Overkill - Probably, but it makes her happy. I learned early on if momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy. :-)
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used Good Sam trip planner. Just finished laying out a 4500+ mile trip starting this June. I worked on this trip for six month doing research on what's to see along our route. Located camp grounds (Good Sam, KOA and private) for the trip. Added a stop for each and place notes for things to do and sites to see at each location. It is much easier for me than Garmin basecamp, which I'm working my way through the learning process. I did input the information into basecamp as a double check for the motorhome requirements and that takes a little time. I also used Google earth as another verification process. I also made an Excel spread sheet with all the information. Now it is all loaded in the Garmin RV 760LTM. Overkill I’m sure but I think I got it worked out and we shall see come June.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2X on the Good Sam Trip Planner which is accessible if you are a GS member. The free version that is pretty much the same without the campgrounds (you have to search by name to put them on the map) is the Rand McNally Tripmaker Rand McNally - TripMaker I also use Google a lot you can zoom in on an area you think you'd like to stay and in the search box put "campgrounds and rv parks" and they all show up. Then you can click on them to go their website. I do a 30 day trip each summer and have found that one tool or website does not do it all. I end up with several tabs open in the browser going back and forth - checking Satellite view of the parks to see what it really looks like and street view for the roads leading up to it. Changing routes to add or subtract time or distance. I usually start the day I end the last trip in thinking about where to go next year and then research the forums, look for festivals, attractions, etc. then create a trip first by adding must see locations as stops and then fill in the rest along the route. Planning is the fun part and I think makes for a better trip - at least for me it does.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We use a combination of Google maps, Co-Pilot app, RVParky app, RV park reviews, and our Garmin 760LMT. Aerial photos can be very misleading, as some of them are years old.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #8

Good Sam Trip planner is the one I use.
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
As others have said... multiple resources. My primary is "My Scenic Drives"... https://www.myscenicdrives.com

The it is liberal use of Google Maps & campgroundreviews.com.

I always check TripAdvisor.com for "Things To Do" in the areas I am interested in.

Of course there is also iRV2.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy a truck road atlas for the truck routes; those roads will be OK for a 40+" RV and toad too. AAA tour guides provide info about the area you are interested in.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
2X on the Good Sam Trip Planner which is accessible if you are a GS member. The free version that is pretty much the same without the campgrounds (you have to search by name to put them on the map) is the Rand McNally Tripmaker Rand McNally - TripMaker I also use Google a lot you can zoom in on an area you think you'd like to stay and in the search box put "campgrounds and rv parks" and they all show up. Then you can click on them to go their website. I do a 30 day trip each summer and have found that one tool or website does not do it all. I end up with several tabs open in the browser going back and forth - checking Satellite view of the parks to see what it really looks like and street view for the roads leading up to it. Changing routes to add or subtract time or distance. I usually start the day I end the last trip in thinking about where to go next year and then research the forums, look for festivals, attractions, etc. then create a trip first by adding must see locations as stops and then fill in the rest along the route. Planning is the fun part and I think makes for a better trip - at least for me it does.

Just started using this app. Love it. Thank you.