Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #1

Where to stop in NJ?

We will be heading up to Long Island for a class reunion after a stop to visit DC. I want to stop someplace fairly close to the GW Bridge on a Thursday so I would have only about 2 hours left to get out to Long Island. I didn't see any campgrounds that interested me, but not averse to stopping at a Walmart. The best I can see is a Walmart in Edision, NJ on Rte 27.

Any ideas on a stopping point would be appreciated.

Peace,
Rich
Roaming America with Rich and Diane Emond
We leave for the sake of leaving
And without knowing why
We always say, "we must go.".....Baudelaire
Retired2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Which road are you driving? If you are looking at Edison, you are probably driving on I-287 or the NJ Turnpike? There are other Walmart's further north depending on the road you on.

You are correct, there are no CG's in the area of the GW Bridge. In fact I don't know of any in Northeast Jersey at all.

If you are driving the Turnpike, you can call the NJ Turnpike Authority at (732) 750-5300 to check on overnight parking rules in the rest areas. There area a number of rest areas and I see trucks parked there while drivers sleep. Don't know about RV's. The rest area near exit 16 is about the closest that I know of to the GWB.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
In that area! Do yourself a favor stay in Pa or north west Jersey if you stay in nw jersey ask ahead of time if they can handle the size of your rv. Edison area, Middlesex county, Essex and Union County ARE NOT rv friendly.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

We'll be coming from DC so we'll be on the NJ Tpke. Going to PA or NW NJ seems to be going way out of the way. We used to live in the Hudson Valley and always go up I-81 and across I-84. This will be the first time we'll be in the NYC area. I may decide to leave the motorhome someplace and just drive the car to LI for the reunion weekend.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The rest area may be your best bet. If you don't stop in NJ, you might as well go right into L.I. and find a place to stop.

You may also want to jump over to the Northeast group forum. There are a lot of them from North Jersey who may have a better idea.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Rich,

You may want to stay at the Liberty RV park in Jersey City and then drive your toad to "lon-Guy-land' (as the locals say it...).

Driving in northern NJ is not much different than driving in NY City. If you're on the NJ Turnpike with your coach you can:
- take the George Washington bridge (UPPER LEVEL)
- to the Cross Bronx EXPRESSWAY (DO NOT take a PARKWAY in NY state!!!! they are made for cars only and the overpasses are too low)
- follow the Cross Bronx to the Throgs Neck Bridge
- take the Clearview EXPRESSWAY to the Long Island EXPRESSWAY (LIE)
- the LIE will take you anywhere you need to go on Long Island

You may want to check if you can park your coach at your reunion location.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

I appreciate the inputs.

K-Star: DC to Port Jefferson on the island is too far a drive. My plan is to put us someplace in NJ and then leave after the main rush hour the next day. We'll get off the island on that Sunday before the Jones Beach traffic heads back to the city. I grew up in Levittown up to graduation day and then moved to Newburgh.

RVTHERE: Thanks for the route. That matches what I had in mind. Sure is an expensive route to get to the LI. I already have permission to park the rig in the hotel parking lot. I opted to stay in the hotel with other HS alumni. This is a big one - 50th. Hard to believe it has been 50 years.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

My first plan was to go across the Narrows bridge but was told that was not the way to go and GW bridge is the way to go. Thought I'd throw that in here for comments. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2000 View Post
We will be heading up to Long Island for a class reunion after a stop to visit DC. I want to stop someplace fairly close to the GW Bridge on a Thursday so I would have only about 2 hours left to get out to Long Island. I didn't see any campgrounds that interested me, but not averse to stopping at a Walmart. The best I can see is a Walmart in Edision, NJ on Rte 27.

Any ideas on a stopping point would be appreciated.

Peace,
Rich
Roaming America with Rich and Diane Emond
We leave for the sake of leaving
And without knowing why
We always say, "we must go.".....Baudelaire
check this free website out for overnight parking info.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Taking the Narrows Bridge would force you to cross Staten Island (always a construction nightmare) and then take the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE) which is another mess that seems to have a rush hour 24/7.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

Thanks RVTHERE. That corresponds with what a cousin who lives on LI told me. We'll do the GW Bridge. It makes it more expensive because it involves another toll (round trip) on the Throggs Neck bridge.

My buddy Norm Payne went over the GW in 09 and said it took an hour and was almost white knuckle driving. Norm was a fulltimer for 10 years and is a very experienced driver. We've been on the road for 11 years so I don't get white knuckles anymore. They do, however, may get pale every now and then. :-)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out Smith Point Campground on Long Island,,its on the beach, not sure if its a county or state park
Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We crossed the GW Bridge about three Saturdays ago shortly after noon. We were going south and it was very heavy traffic but not the worst traffic I've ever seen. Slow but not stop and go. (LA rush hour was worse)
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote