Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For folks who have driven either or both routes, which is the quickest and easiest, I15 to I80 or I15/I70/I76?

I have driven the 80/15 going east to west so I have knowledge of that route.

However, a friend recommended the 15/70/76/80. He said it was faster by 4-6 hours. According to the mileage taken from AAA maps the difference is only 41 miles. That's nowhere near 4-6 hours.

The 15/80 has some ups and downs across from Salt Lake City across Wyoming but the other way has some heavy duty climbing up to about 10000+.

I don't mind mountain driving but I'm primarily looking for the quickest and easiest way and climbing those grades will definitely slow me down. I'm not looking for a scenic trip this time.

Any and all opinions cheerfully accepted.

Thank you ahead of time.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For folks who have driven either or both routes, which is the quickest and easiest, I15 to I80 or I15/I70/I76?

However, a friend recommended the 15/70/76/80. He said it was faster by 4-6 hours. According to the mileage taken from AAA maps the difference is only 41 miles. That's nowhere near 4-6 hours.

The 15/80 has some ups and downs across from Salt Lake City across Wyoming but the other way has some heavy duty climbing up to about 10000+.

I don't mind mountain driving but I'm primarily looking for the quickest and easiest way and climbing those grades will definitely slow me down. I'm not looking for a scenic trip this time.

Any and all opinions cheerfully accepted.

Thank you ahead of time.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #3

I-15 to I 80 and east to Nebraska. On 76 you will have two real good grades to pull. The grade from Vail going east is quite long and also the grade from Glenwood Springs is scenic but steep.

I don't know how you could shave 4-6 hours off by going that way.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If I were making that trip and not interested in scenery, just covering miles, I'd do I-15/80. The grades are less severe and last year I found I-76 Eastbound to be rather bumpy for stretches due to uneven expansion joints in the concrete pavement.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
JRP

skipsor,

this is a choice where "quickest" and "easiest" yield different answers. I15 to I70/76 is actually quicker, but only by about 45 miles or 1 hour. In my opinion I15 to I80 is an easier drive and worth the extra hour, not having to deal with the steep climbs, poor road conditions, heavier traffic and driving through the middle of Denver by using I70.

one caution to add on my preferred route; Provo Canyon, the short cut from I15 to I80 (via 40) is still under construction widening the roadway and subject to delays, especially after hours.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skipsor:

However, a friend recommended the 15/70/76/80. He said it was faster by 4-6 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skipsor,
I've not driven the route at all, so that's my disclaimer. I put the route information into Microsoft Streets & Trips to see what it had to say about "quickest" vs "shortest."

I15/I80 is 901 miles and takes 1 day, 5 hrs, 19 min. driving at "average" speeds.

I15/I70/I76 is 839 miles and take 1 day, 5 hrs, 40 min. That is 62 miles shorter, but it takes 21 min. longer. Since this route takes you through downtown Denver, that probably accounts for the time difference!!! HA!

Personally, I'd stick with the route you are familiar with since you seem to be interested in "gettin' there" rather than scenic.

JMHO

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I appreciate the responses and I thank you for them

I talked with my friend who told me that the 15/80 route is 4-6 hours longer. His reply was unintelligible which means he was way wrong. Oh well, it looks like the 15/80 is the way to go.

Thanks again.