Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which TX road is better?

I, along with two other motorhoming friends are planning a trip from Gulf Shores, AL to Corpus Christi TX. We want to go to Beaumont, then south to Galveston, then cross the ferry (still free?) to Freeport. Is 3005 a toll road & how much is the toll for a MH w/ toad? From Freeport, how is 521 compared to 35?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

I traveled orange beach took 10 not bad yes the ferry is there turn off propane took 10 basically to San Antonio I think it was 37 into corpus fishing is good under the Oslo causeway

Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FM-3005 is also called "The Blue Water Highway," and it has a toll crossing the bridge at San Luis Pass. Cars used to be $2. I don't know what an RV towing will be. I just don't remember what we paid each time, but it wasn't much.

The ferry doesn't go to Freeport just from the Bolivar Peninsular to Galveston. You may wish to check the tide schedules and make the trip at or near high tide. The ramp can be pretty steep during slack tide. The ferry is free. There really isn't much to see coming down to the Bolivar Peninsular. Ike wiped everything out, and it is rebuilding, but lots of open space.

Consider The alternative and a little more to see of coming almost to Baytown then taking Highway 99s. Highway 99 is a proposed toll, and the Northern side is toll but I have been on the South side of I-10 in the past few months and the toll booths were not active. Another way would be to come into Baytown and take Highway 146S. Nice little towns, a few red lights, but not a bad experience at all. Two lane roads both directions. When you get to the Texas City Wye there is a bridge warning of 13' 6" and there is a turn around. I don't expect your MH's will be that tall unless one of the million dollar ones.

The Bluewater Highway is one lane each direction. The white line on the side of the road, in many places, is the shoulder except for maybe 4-6 inches more. I have traveled The Blue Water, 521 and 35 in both a 5th wheel and my present MH and I would do it again without apprehension. One just has to drive sensibly. Highway 521 and 332 run together in Freeport for a little while. Then it picks up 35s.

Personally, unless you just "want" to take the ferry, I'd go through Baytown and 99 or 146. Oh! 99 comes comes out on Bus-146 just before the Hartman bridge. it is a long and high bridge. There are so many different routes that can be taken to get to where you are going. If you give me your specific desires, i can direct you with the less traffic. Just remember that all traffic in the metropolitan Houston area triples at the beginning of the work day, and the end of the work day. Around here that is 7-9 a.m., and 3-6 p.m., but it really only adds 15 minutes to any travel time unless there is a major accident.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wayne, I believe 99 is now an active tollway with electronic toll collection. I'd say SH146 is the best bet from I-10 down to Texas City.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Wayne, if I were coming down SH146 from Baytown to Galveston, where would I camp to be able to visit the sights like Kemah boardwalk or NASA and where to eat to get good fresh seafood?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Wayne, if I were coming down SH146 from Baytown to Galveston, where would I camp to be able to visit the sights like Kemah boardwalk or NASA and where to eat to get good fresh seafood?

ronspradley

Wow! Put me on the spot, hey?

There are so many CG's around here and there are a few I would not stay in so I will not recommend them.

Here is a list of some that I have personally rode through in the TOAD that I could suggest as place to explore from. Just remember that this whole area in and around Metropolitan Houston is refinery country and there are a lot of permanent residents. When I speak of that I have to mention that they get up early to go to work. This is Texas, and they have trucks. Personally. I just roll over and go back to sleep. And also remember that in Texas, people drive from Houston to Austin, about 150 miles, just for a night on the town. Distance doesn't mean much to us running around in our cars/trucks.

Green Caye RV Park
2401 Owens Drive, Dickinson, TX
(281) 337-0289 ‎ greencayervpark.com

Green Caye is the first one that I suggest to people. If you plan on staying a month I believe the prices is $370 and that includes FHU. It is about 5-8 minutes ride up to the Kemah Boardwalk, and about 22-25 miles to Galveston. It has easy access to all kinds of shopping and eating establishments. Sites vary with pull through and back-ins. If you can get a Wagon-Wheel site I think they have a little more room.

Marina Bay RV Resorts
925 Marina Bay Dr, Kemah, TX
(281) 334-9944 ‎ marinabayrvresort.com

This is more expensive and staying long periods requires you to pay your own electric. Think location, location, location, as it is about 1/2 mile or less to the Boardwalk. Still convenient for exploring the area.

Galveston Bay RV Resort
10000 San Leon Drive, Dickinson, TX
(281) 339-5550 ‎ rvresortmarina.com

This park is very nice as evidenced by the pictures if you go to their web site, but they are pricey. If you like being real close to the bayou water, this is the place. The last stretch of the road, about 1/4 mile or so can be a little rough, but go slow and there will be no problem. The CG itself has nice roads and pads.

Palms RV Park
2705 Dickinson Avenue, Dickinson, TX
(281) 957-5533 ‎ palmsrvpark.com

This a a smaller CG on FM-1266. Not bad, and has an on-site restaurant but I have not eaten there. Price is right at $150 a week.

Those are my choices and there are others in the area. If you have a particular one in mind holler at me and I'll ride out and check it out.

Of course, Galveston has some, and some newer (rebuilt after Ike) ones, like Sandpiper, Dellanera, and then some down The Blue Water Highway - Galveston State Park, Jamaica Beach RV park. The latter two are a far piece down the highway, but that depends on your perspective. There is also Tiki Tom's as you come into Galveston just after the bridge. I don't know about it but it is right off of I-45 and I'd think traffic noise would be high. There is another one that does not show up on the map and I'm not sure if it is in RV Park Reviews yet and that is Louie's Bait Camp on Highway 6 close to Bayou Vista. Sites are close together. Restaurant on-site.

Let me know.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #7

If you'll be doing much driving in Texas, you may want to contact txdot.com and get yourself a toll road sticker. Deposit money in your account, and you go through the toll sections without having to stop or find change.

Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

GL Arnold
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

On Tiki Toms I stay there 3 weeks a year about &45 a night the road noise is not bad but a train will come thru early morning good people they have 2 private fishing piers
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Wayne for the campground suggestions. I will be coming to area this weekend to visit friends and family. Home base is Houston with adopted brother, then Friday visit brother in LaPorte to help with bathroom remodel. Then Saturday to visit friends in Dickinson. Maybe I will be able to hit SH146 Saturday before or after visit. Thanks again for the suggestions. I know this will be helpful to the OP on their visit thru the area.

ronspradley
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the SandPiper in Galveston. It is right on the beach has a great pool and hot tub. Lots to do in Galveston and still close to Kema etc. The Blue Hwy is pretty, Freeport not so much.

If you are not in a hurry and if you like Birding and the coast, from Freeport take hwy 36 into West Columbia and then hwy 35 South all the way down the coast to Aransas pass and Corpus.

This is not the fastest route but is a good route with lots of Texas coastal towns along the way. You can pick up a birding map off the internet and you will find many places to stop and enjoy nature.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ron,
Give a holler if you get to one of the CG's mentioned. Take no time at all to sit and have a cup of whatever somewhere.

What do you charge for bathroom remodeling. Hee hee!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Wayne, thanks for the coffee invite. I just now saw that offer, had computer off since my last post. I only have internet access at the S&B, Saturday I looked at Palms and they looked full, did not stop and talk to them. Also saw Green Caye and drove in and looked. Would certainly be willing to stay there but I told them I was looking at early to mid February for a week and they said they were booked but could take my name for a waiting list. Next went to Galveston Bay RV Resort. Of all three, I liked the looks of this one the most. (I like water). They were also full but said they thought they would have spaces available and to call and see. Had a nice look at the area and know I will be back there soon. Thanks again for the help.

ronspradley
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
I know its not your preference but another option.

We are at Lilys by the bay. Basic 50amp full hookups with good wifi and el. incl. Getting ready to leave as it has rained pretty much every day since we got here 23dec. Great spot away from the coast and served us well for a 1 week port cruise out of Galveston, and Huston/NASA trips. $405 for the month = pull thru. Pool not heated or cleaned off season now. Concrete pads and roads. 1/2 permanents/longtermers with no shenanagans. Came here from Aransas Pass up the shoreline, great scenic good roads trip.

7610 2nd Street, Hitchcock, TX 77563
LILY'S BY THE BAY RV RESORT
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We drove through Lily's just this past week as we were cruising around in the DW 's car. We were impressed with Lily's. Nice and clean, nice store, friendly desk person, and helpful. Sites looked as level as can be. Not really near any water, but good enough for touring the area or parking for cruise times. Another on my list of suggested places.

Ron, there are a couple on FM-517 East. I don't remember the names. Out of the way and worth a look. Galveston bay is nice - pricey, but nice.

Holler if you get back to the area.