Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Which way --I40 or I70???

We are heading to Palm Springs ,CA next month from the NY Catskills taking the RV with Toad.

I was looking at I88 to I81 down to Virginia and I40 the rest of the way for some scenery but an alternative route could be I80 to I71 to I70 in Ohio through Colorado to pick up I15 down through Las Vegas and cut through the Mojave Desert.

I know that I71 in Ohio most always has heavy traffic.

The Mojave portion we have done with a SUV and the two lane road is in great condition and practically traffic free in fact downright lonely!

Biggest concern is about traffic and road construction/conditions along the Interstates.

Any recommendations as to which would be the best/better route to take?

Thanks in advance!

the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #2

I81 to I40 thru Virginia and west on 40 is a nice drive. We just made the trip out to Oklahoma last month. Traffic was tough on I40 west of Memphis thru Arkansas due to construction. They were close to finishing, so may be done by now.

If you need an overnight stop, Delta Ridge in Forrest City, Arkansas is $25.00 a night with full hook ups, pull thru sites and easy access to I40.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks TomandGloria !
That was our first choice but I was curious about actual conditions.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, I-40 would likely be my choice. I-80 is not bad, and I-90 is a nice ride, but they're too far north for you. I-70 through the Colorado Rockies is probably the most scenic highway in America, but the price is that you have to drive through 800 miles of Missouri and Kansas to get there. You could take I-80 to Ogallala, then I-76 to Denver, then I-70 to I-15 as you mentioned before. Just another option. Of course, any later than a few weeks from now and the CO Rockies can get unpredictable.

Good Luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I70 through the Rockies is only a dozen miles from my S&B and I avoid it like the plague. Loads of trucks and congestion and construction. I would vote for any route OTHER THAN I70 (especially during ski season and/or during holiday weekends). I80 and I40 have already been mentioned -- I like those two routes, too. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess I would add that I70 between Columbus, OH, and Indianapolis, IN, is possibly the worst section of road I have ever driven. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Protestors are planning on shutting down I-70 in St Louis on Sept 10th.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Protestors are planning on shutting down I-70 in St Louis on Sept 10th.
Why? Did someone offend them?
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Why? Did someone offend them?
I think it was originally scheduled for Labor Day weekend then changed to Sept 10th.

Protesters hoping to stop traffic on highways around St. Louis | FOX2now.com
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm on I81 right now heading your way. We picked up 81 from i40 from Tennessee and it has been a LOVELY drive!!

Now that being said, I've taken i40 the other way from Texasish to California, and not so much. I found i40 that way to be pretty torn up, rough. regardless, this is the route you should take.

Be aware when going through the mountains near flagstaff - there are some steep grades (6 to 7%) and a long down hill, twisty, rock walled downgrade of about 22 miles. I did it in the dark (whoops). And another at the Tehachapi pass, not as bad though cause it has a nice big shoulder. The shoulder in the mountains of AZ feel like they are an inch wide. They are probably really more like 2 feet wide Plus that part of the road in the right lane is torn up - so make sure your tires are in good shape, your engine brake works, and everything inside is bolted down good. I had to velcro the dogs down!

So plan accordingly. You don't want to hit that area tired. Also, you gotta climb before you go down, so prepare for a slow ascent. We chugged up most of it at around 35, sometimes 45 with a lot of 18 wheelers at 25 mph. Use your flashers when you slow down.

Coming through Virginia is pretty hilly too, with a high traffic load of trucks and cars. Can be a little tiring.

Kingman Arizona is a great stopping point. We stayed a few days there to rest up a minute.

After that the road gets really rough and turns to yuck into California. I mean chewed up. The start of california was described to me once as being like the surface of the moon... he wasn't wrong.

And don't forget to sing on your way through Winslow "I was standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see. It's a girl in flat bed ford slowing down ..."
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Protesters come in two flavors,, The folks who set up a protest only one, OFFENDED, the ones who make seen.. Some of them are genuine aggrieved (Offended) or for other reasons supportive of the cause.. Others are trouble makers who ... are there to make trouble. Alas.. we need to get rid of those types.

To the question: Next month is October, Can not really advise but I took the north route at thanksgiving one year... Only one minor disaster (Stopped in Wyoming for the night, weather forcast was +19, turned out -6 was the low I encountered.. Kind of froze things, cost me less than 10 bucks to fix when I got to warmer weather, thankfully Ice Maker solenoid was still air-charged just in cuss) .

October anything can happen.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also assume you will take I15 south to San Berdino and back track on I-10 to Palm Spring. Smart move there. You can take the outer loop of San Berdino backwards to Palm Spring with no problem. Don't hit it at rush hour 10am or 2pm are perfect times.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
also, just curious, will this be your first cross country in an RV, or are you a seasoned veteran RV pilot?
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I also assume you will take I15 south to San Berdino and back track on I-10 to Palm Spring. Smart move there. You can take the outer loop of San Berdino backwards to Palm Spring with no problem. Don't hit it at rush hour 10am or 2pm are perfect times.
Don't go all the way to San Bernardino on the 15, take rt 247 out of Barstow then take 62 at Yucca Valley and its nice drive