Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Willits Ca. to Yosemite N.P.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback about a route my wife and I are planning on taking from Willits , Ca. to Yosemite N.P. We are planning on taking rt. 20 east to I-5 south to rt. 50 east to rt. 120 east. We are in a 36' Bounder pulling a Jeep. I was also wondering whether or not it is possible to travel through the park on rt. 20. We would like to pick-up rt. 395 on the other side of the park and head south to Joshua Tree N.P. Any cons or advice to this route would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance, Bruc.
bruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I was wondering the same thing about Yosemite to 395 Mono Lake. I will be going west thru Yosemite. Maybe someone will know and chime in.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
rt 50 East does not connect to rt 120 East. From Sacramento you need to either stay on I-5 South or take rt 50 to rt 199 South until you reach Manteca. At Manteca you can catch rt 120 East to Yosemite. Make sure you don't take the old Priest Grade road. There's lot of warning signs to make sure you don't cause it's extremely steep even for a car!!

You can drive rt 120 through Yosemite NP to rt 395 (Mono Lake, etc) BUT you'll need to be very careful. We did it about a year ago with a Winnebago Vista 26P towing a Jeep but the DW said we will NEVER do that again!!! Most of the road is narrow, with lots of sharp curves, and very few guard rails. Just take your time and you should be OK. I saw some big units coming across and they made it fine but many sections barely had enough space for 2 RVs traveling in different directions. It's OK ... just drive slow.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done that drive several times (YNP east to 395 on 120) and enjoy it. My wife, not so much. You will climb to 10,000 feet to get through Tioga pass and the downside is steep and twisty, go slow. The views are spectacular.

Fuel stops are few once you leave YNP

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

you have advice on the route,but if you go directly from 120 to 395 you will NOT see Yosemite Valley ( Half Dome- Glacier Point). You might consider parking the RV and driving the toad to the Valley...probably about 35-40 miles one way. The drive to 395 takes you thru Toulmne Meadows.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

One thing I don't think was mentioned that there will be very few places to stop on 120. There are a couple of areas where the parking along the road will let you stop a coach, but there's no guarantee that there won't be cars parked precisely in the right places that keep a big enough gap from existing.

Steve