Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
We were traveling west on I-70 a few years ago going from Kansas to Colorado. I don't know how high the side winds were, but when my husband started seeing the fifth wheel move in the side mirrors, we got off the road and spent the night in an RV park!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I spent my working lifetime driving with two trailers behind me. They would have varying amounts loaded into them depending on the trip. So the weight would vary each time. Of course when the load was heavy and the load was on the bottom and forward the way the trailer handled the wind would be best. However, when the wind was on the side and above 55mph it did not matter how heavy the load was, I would start to see the wheels on the opposite side of the wind come off the ground on the back trailer. That does not mean that I had complete control of the tractor in less wind. Part of that depended on how tight the steering was on the tractor.
When to decide to pull over because of the wind will vary on many things from your comfort and ability as well as the comfort of your spouse. Don't let the habits or opinions of others decide when is the best time to be safe! If you are questioning when, you maybe should have already made the decision earlier!
We used to call the doubles "Wiggle Wagons" when you checked them with the mirrors, depending on the conditions, you would find them wiggling all over the place. As a new driver this could at times stand your hair on end until you learned how they handled. Many would say the best way was to not look in the mirror!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

This may need a new thread but you guys have reminded me of a similar question. What is the best way to ride out a wind storm in the park? Sitting on the levelers (I would think more stable), or air out on the ground(sitting lower and less area for wind to get under).

I haven't been in very high winds yet but sitting in Florida with ugly black skys, and a tin can is a little unsettling....
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
This may need a new thread but you guys have reminded me of a similar question. What is the best way to ride out a wind storm in the park? Sitting on the levelers (I would think more stable), or air out on the ground(sitting lower and less area for wind to get under).

I haven't been in very high winds yet but sitting in Florida with ugly black skys, and a tin can is a little unsettling....
See this thread for some answers to your question

What would you do in a bad storm?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #19

If you have a smart phone get a weather app and stay tuned. If you see semi trailers leaning away from the wind it's time to pull off. If it feels bad to you, it's time to pull off. Park so the wind is fore and aft of the unit rather than across the unit. Have a beer, or whatever else floats yer boat.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote