Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Wind?

DH would like to know when one should leave the road and seek shelter when windy.

Last year - our first long trip - we left Desert Hot Springs two days before the winds were so severe along Rt 10 and in the adjacent areas, that several RVs blew over. We heard about it via e-mail from those who remianed after we left.

Is there a particular wind forecast other than tornado warnings that would cause you to leave the highways? and if so - what do you do?
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
begete, one gauge to use as to whether or not to brave the wind is to see if the National Weather Service has issued a High Wind Warning. Generally, they only issue a high wind "advisory" if the winds are not forecast to be dangerous for high profile vehicles. I'm not a weather techie but live in Utah where we often get high wind warnings and advisories. The warnings come with warnings about it being dangerous high profile vehicles. If my memory serves me correctly (and that's asking a lot of it these days!!) it seems like that generally means gusts of 70mph plus. You might want to check with the NWS and get the info direct from the horses mouth. Hope this helps.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

wind

we have been in the winds at times and i look at what is still on the road,trucks,other rvs ect. I slow down but if i can't stay in my lane i'll pull over. Don
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've been on the road with a 53' flatbed, loaded 14' high with light foam insulation board...OMG was that a scary trip. Many times looking in the mirror and seeing air under the trailer tires!

I think the best way to look at this is comfort. When you feel uncomfortable, park it. If you feel that the wind is getting dangerous, find a large parking lot and put your tail to the wind. Yes, I learned this the hard way...sand will do a real number on your front paint, chrome and windshields.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might be my imagination but when it is windy I keep the fresh water tank full and try to keep at least a half tank of gas for the extra weight that is down low. We traveled across I-40 from Memphis to Las Vegas during high winds and didn't have any problems.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
That's a fairly difficult question to answer. A lot depends on the type of RV you have since some are more stable in cross winds than others. The more overhang there is behind the rear axle the harder it is to steer as wind velocity increases and tandem axles are the most stable.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I've been driving RVs, mostly TTs behind pickup trucks, for a little over thirty years now in all kinds of weather. My best advice to you is the same as in nearly any hobby or job where personal danger can be experienced: If you don't feel safe, don't do it! For a real rush, pull a trailer on black ice some time.

Happy New Year!
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

I leave the road when the wind requires me to put two hands on the wheel....just kidding. It is a personal confort decision and I think it depends on how each rig handles in the cross wind. But great advise if you do pull off for the day or night to park so the wind is hitting your rear end. Been in some very strong thunder storms with high winds and am always glad I parked in this fashion.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

All great advice. Look at what else is still on the road... keep an ear on the weather advisories... and just don't drive the rig if you are not feeling completely comfortable and in control. Follow your gut and common sense and you'll be fine.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by begete View Post
DH would like to know when one should leave the road and seek shelter when windy.

Last year - our first long trip - we left Desert Hot Springs two days before the winds were so severe along Rt 10 and in the adjacent areas, that several RVs blew over. We heard about it via e-mail from those who remained after we left.
Being familiar with that particular stretch of I-10 near the Palm Springs area, I have seen dangerous winds 3-4 days per week in the Spring time. I've driven cars through there many times and felt quite lucky the high profile vehicles didn't crash into me. Cars tend to stay in their lanes HPV's don't.
If you wait until the worst of the winds to exit, your vehicle will be prepped for new paint and glass (sand blasted )

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
I've been on the road with a 53' flatbed, loaded 14' high with light foam insulation board...OMG was that a scary trip. Many times looking in the mirror and seeing air under the trailer tires!

I think the best way to look at this is comfort. When you feel uncomfortable, park it. If you feel that the wind is getting dangerous, find a large parking lot and put your tail to the wind. Yes, I learned this the hard way...sand will do a real number on your front paint, chrome and windshields.
Yours is about the best advice one can receive. Many times though a man's testosterone gets him in trouble when he ignores his gut feeling. I remember one trip through IA, East of Des Moines, the wind turned bad quickly. I was following a MH towing a Jeep CJ, who was following a semi. We all slowed to about 45mph and suddenly the Jeep was outside the white berm marker, the MH was sideways a little, had the driver not known what to do he would have crashed. When we got to a truck stop we all pulled in. Only then did I discover the wind had blown a bedroom window out of our 5er. I estimated that South wind at near 50-60 mph.
Somewhere on irv2.com , about 4-5 years ago, someone calculated the straight side-wind speed required to blow HIS 5er over at 85 mph.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Also keep in mind possible wind damage to the coach. Several members (myself included) have had cross winds rip the patio awning up and out. A very scary noise when it happens. Also very difficult laying on top the coach on the side of the interstate in 50 mph cross winds rolling the awning back in by hand and tying it down. And for thsoe that say it can't happen on an electric awning, mine was an electric Carefree of Colorado Awning. $4000.00 to the insurance company.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a trip to Alaska in the Yukon towing a tandom trailer a thunderstorm came up while on a steep downward hill with no place to pull over, the wind had the trailer sideways and traveling side to side, as well as pulling the car as well with it. I did manage to get it under control but it has stuck in my mind for many years. I pay attention to the wind and road conditions and pull over and never give it a second thought. I was very lucky and it was only luck.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is a personal judgement call. Use good common sense and exercise due caution. Besides speed, wind direction, road conditions, traffic, location, etc are just a few factors to take into consideration.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote