Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Wind!

Traveling on I-40 from Kingman AZ, heading west through Oklahoma City..Geesh predicting S to SW winds 15-20 mph gusting to nearly 30 mph all along the route this week.. They ramp up by mid morning.. I hate wind.. what's your wind mph limit when traveling?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

When the freeway reader boards say freeway closed due to high winds.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
When the freeway reader boards say freeway closed due to high winds.....

You have a high wind tolerance Bob. Have you driven your 5er in 40 mph gusts?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Yes sir, I have.....4 trips across US, 10 trips from here to Mexican boarder, and various other shorter trips
Old 09-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
east bound thru EL Paso last febuary, wind was so bad we witnessed several RVS that had their awnings billowing over and out on the interstate! Dust was terrible. Traffic was moving very slow. There was no place to escape the wind. Its hard to hide a motorhome towing a car. I don't know what the speeds of the wind were but the warnings were posted. Would have got off but couldn't hide, we would be in the wind no matter where.definitly woudnt have started day had we known.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
50 mph gusts over Raton pass was not fun. I carry Velcro straps for the slide toppers when they start to deploy on their own.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Faced high winds near Cortez Co also. But in another vein, we’re leaving Albuquerque for Pomona CA, in a few days. How are winds on I40vs I10?? Also road conditions if anyone knows. Fighting high winds as well as dodging potholes is never fun!
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One year while traveling thru Williston N.D. The wind was so bad that the slide out topper was billowing and actually pulling out my slideout about 6 inches and it would slam back in. Talk about changing underwear
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
east bound thru EL Paso last febuary, wind was so bad we witnessed several RVS that had their awnings billowing over and out on the interstate! Dust was terrible. Traffic was moving very slow. There was no place to escape the wind. Its hard to hide a motorhome towing a car. I don't know what the speeds of the wind were but the warnings were posted. Would have got off but couldn't hide, we would be in the wind no matter where.definitly woudnt have started day had we known.

Yes, we don't move when high winds are predicted. It is rare that NOAA wouldn't be able to forecast the winds along your route the before, certainly the day of. It is our go to site for travel. We don't move if we don't like what we see. Another great app is "Windy". Very intuitive. Brings up a map of the US with wind speeds and direction by the hour. You move the map along your route, change the day/time, and it will show the forecast.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
50 mph gusts over Raton pass was not fun. I carry Velcro straps for the slide toppers when they start to deploy on their own.

How do you install them? Any pictures?

Sorry for being slightly off topic.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
Yes, we don't move when high winds are predicted. It is rare that NOAA wouldn't be able to forecast the winds along your route the before, certainly the day of. It is our go to site for travel. We don't move if we don't like what we see. Another great app is "Windy". Very intuitive. Brings up a map of the US with wind speeds and direction by the hour. You move the map along your route, change the day/time, and it will show the forecast.

thanks for the heads up on that app.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #12

Also installed it....will play with it this weekend
Old 09-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
How do you install them? Any pictures?

Sorry for being slightly off topic.
I have the same question.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Been there