Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

Winter route Denver to Vegas to Tracy CA - winter?

We plan to leave 3/26 in our 23ft Class C (V-10) but we don't know if we'll be able to go through CO on I-70 (due to possible snow) then head south to Vegas & up to Tracy OR maybe head straight to Albuquerque NM then west to Vegas & up to Tracy. Is even that semi-southern route a crazy thought this time of year? Would like to stay at Walmarts if possible but the main thing is dealing with weather. Only have a week for the round trip... visiting mom in the nursing home. Thanks for advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd just check the weather shortly before u go. Either route could get snow or be dry roads. It seemed like I-40 took a lot longer than I-70 if I remember right.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Routing ?

I always check the Highway cam's (State) the day b4 I go on a trip. Have a local Radio Staion on. They like to keep the good and bad weather out for the listeners

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperdon View Post
We plan to leave 3/26 in our 23ft Class C (V-10) but we don't know if we'll be able to go through CO on I-70 (due to possible snow) then head south to Vegas & up to Tracy OR maybe head straight to Albuquerque NM then west to Vegas & up to Tracy. Is even that semi-southern route a crazy thought this time of year? Would like to stay at Walmarts if possible but the main thing is dealing with weather. Only have a week for the round trip... visiting mom in the nursing home. Thanks for advice!
this website is free to use and is updated by the users. i always ask management or security for permission and where to park at walmarts.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #5

We did the drive to see Mom in her Sun City CA Nursing Home and always took I-70. Yes, it's shorter, but it's much more direct for us out of Denver. Also, north NM and south CO on I-25 around Raton Pass can be REALLY dicey, depending on how Storms move through.

Moving out to CO >35 years ago, we hit severe ICE around Flagstaff. Cars in the Ditch; Gas Stations became 'outposts' for stranded folks; really a 1st Class mess. So, as mentioned above, check that weather and pick a route. I trust Weather Underground, or other services, to be pretty accurate starting about 3 days prior to travel. I load important Phone Numbers into my Phone, or print them out and carry them. Then, nothing bad happens cuz I'm prepared [at least the way I like to be prepared].

I check in advance on Vail CO, Salina UT and Beaver UT or St. George UT. West of Salina before teeing off on I-15 can be nasty in the Mountain range there. A Good Samaritan was just killed in that stretch by a Car careening off the Ice while the fellow was helping a couple whose Vehicle had just careened and flipped off the same Ice.

Vail and the Eisenhower Tunnel can be seen on Cameras here:

CO Highway Cameras

Weather Underground

NOAA.gov

I use the free Voice Portal 'Tell Me' on my Phone, too: 1.800.555.TELL. Being Voice Rec, the background environment needs to be a little quiet, and not on a Speakerphone function to allow the far end Server to hear what you're asking.