RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Wisconsin to the Teton Natl. Park

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning our first major RV trip in about 10 years. We are heading to Yellowstone Natl. Park, with a stop in the Tetons Natl. Park. We are traveling in a 40 ft. diesel pusher with a small trailer carrying a motorcycle.

The plan so far is to stop in the Tetons and camp for a 3 to 4 nights while exploring the park during the day on the motorcycle, then move on to Yellowstone Park and do the same thing for 3 to 4 nights.

MY QUESTION:
Can anyone give me some help planning the best way into the Tetons Natl. Park?

We will be coming from Wisconsin so I can take I80 or I90, both are within an hour driving time. What is the EASIER route into the park,

Hwy 191 from the south?
or
Hwy 26 from the east?

I am looking for the easiest climb up the hill grade wise...a large rig friendly route...

ALSO, I know we are limited to a couple campgrounds in Yellowstone, I am planning on Fishing Bridge for there. I am not sure about The Tetons, can anyone give a recommendation for a nice campground centrally located there?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I did a similar trip last year and traveled from Madison to SD, MT, Wy. We went out I-90 and really enjoyed the trip. Our return was from Jackson (Teton Park) to Cheyenne via I-80. Very flat, and desolate at times. No matter which way to opt to go you will have to drive in mountains. They are not a big issue however. Just be patient.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
My son drove from Rhinelander, WI to Yellowstone this past summer taking I-90 to Buffalo, WY then winding his way through Rts. 16, 20 and 14 to the East entrance of Yellowstone.

If going to the Tetons first, your fastest route per Google Maps is through Casper to Rt. 26 which has a climb from Dubois to Moran Jct. A few years ago, we stayed at the campground in Buffalo Valley right before Moran.

Rt. 191 sends you through Jackson which can have a ton of traffic - for me, I'd rather deal with a climb than deal with traffic.

Fishing Bridge campsites go fast so be online as soon as the reservations open up. You may want to be flexible in case you need to flip flop and visit Yellowstone first due to reservation availability.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi,
Thanks for the response, The southern route would not be so bad, I figure I will not be able to see a lot of it anyway due to darkness. I plan to stop prior to the mountains for the night, then head up the hill in the daylight.

RVThere,
Thanks, I don't like traffic either, but if the southern route is a much easier climb I would deal with it.

As far as Tetons Park first, we are headed to Billings to visit friends for a week after the parks, so it would be nice to start south and end up going out the north exit to Billings.

I hear you about the reservations, all I can do is try. Any idea when the reservations open up?

Thanks Jim
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

For Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, call rather than trying to use the online reservations. This helps with big rigs.

For Grand Tetons, Colter Bay RV in the park is the only one with hookups and many like it. We always stay in one of the dry campgrounds - Colter Bay (next to the RV park) or Gros Ventre, our favorite. Each has 300 sites and rarely fill. No reservations accepted and we've always gotten a site in all seasons for our 40' motorhome.

If taking I-80 you can take either 287 at Rawlins, WY or 191 at Rock Springs, WY. We've done both with no issues.

Leaving Yellowstone head out the West Gate at W. Yellowstone, then north on 191 to Bozeman and east on I-90 to Billings. You could also leave the park through Mammoth/Gardiner on 89 north to Livingston. You probably wouldn't like the hilly drive though if you're concerned about the interstates.

Frankly, with your motorhome you won't have any problem with any hill.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I went on the Xanterra Fishing Bridge website just now and sites for a 40 footer are mostly sold out for this coming summer. And that's from May to September! Not sure if the link below will work:

https://ynpres1.xanterra.com/cgi-bin..._utmk=25572468

It is worth a call to the campground but I'm pretty sure no one is there until May. The phone number I found is 307-344-7381 which is different from the general reservation number. A few years ago they were able to squeeze in my 40-footer due to some cancellations.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Awesome trip... you won't be disappointed...

Not sure exactly where you're coming from... but we left from the Oak Creek/Muskego area a few years ago... We took the I-80 route... It seemed to be the easiest and most straight forward...

Our planning consisted of the following (not sure your time-table, but we still work).. We left on a Friday evening and tried to get a few hours under our belt before we stopped and slept at a rest area... There is a VERY nice rest area just over the Mississippi River (Dresbach Info Center).. from there, we drove straight thru to Custer SP and spent the night... from there, we took the "south" route via 89 to 18 to 25 to 26 to 191... just do a google map route of; Milwaukee to Stockade Lake North Campground to Headwaters Lodge/Cabins @ Flagg Ranch

We stayed at Headwaters Lodge/Cabins @ Flagg Ranch just south of Yellowstone's south entrance.. We felt it was a good "middle" ground for both Yellowstone and the Tetons.. We wanted to stay at Colter Bay Village.. but lost out, as we missed on securing reservations.. As others have suggested.. make your reservations quickly.. they go fast..

When we returned home... We left thru the Yellowstone east entrance and took 14 to 90.. YIKES !?!?!? but very glad we did.. there were a few white knuckles, but nothing major... we look back and laugh now.. and we are glad we did, the scenery is just incredible !!

Also... I'm sure you already know this, as you are a motorcycle enthusiast, but if traveling the end of July, beginning of August, keep in mind that is Sturgis time, and the route west will be much busier than normal.. When we went to Yellowstone, it was the week before Sturgis, and we noticed quite a few motorcycles in Yellowstone.. So, keep that in mind...

All in all... sounds like a great trip and I am jealous (I hope you come back to this thread and update us).. I went with the kids and cannot wait to go back with the bike and tour the area... As mentioned earlier.. we still work, so our time was limited.. the plan was to split the time evenly between the Tetons and Yellowstone.. but the kids wanted more time in Yellowstone, so our time in the Tetons was limited to the drive in via the south route..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
RVTHERE,
Thanks for the link, YES you are correct, the two RV parks that could accommodate us were not available for the last week of June dates we wanted.

OAKCREEKERIC,
Thanks for your thread! We also wanted the Coulter park, then we planned to move up into Fishing Bridge RV park, but two of the four dates were taken.

I decided to do exactly as you did and stay the full week at the Headwaters RV park. It is actually closer to the eastern half of Yellowstone Park as the RV parks located outside the west entrance are.

ALSO; I found a very good article on traveling the Yellowstone National Park with an RV, it shows the good and bad about the various entrances and exits to the park. Anyone else thinking of doing this trip in a large RV should read it.

Road to Yellowstone

Thanks everyone,
Jim
Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

Just remember if taking I-80 you will wonder if Nebraska never ends.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote