Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Wisconsin to UP Michigan route

I'm gonna head out from Egg Harbor in Door County Wisconin in a few weeks and go around the UP of Michigan over to the east side and stay a while at Traverse Bay. Gonna stop overnight at Whitfish Hill around Bay du Nac on US 2 .

To get to route 2 we will go southwest around Green Bay and then northwards along the lake on route 41.... BUT.... might take the "scenic" route on RT 35 at Menominee to Escanaba in Michigan. I was wondering if that is a decent route northward or should I stay on route 41 all the way to route 2 due to height or weight or whatever reasons?

We have a tag axle coach and also tow, so we like to take a scenic road now and then but like to also avoid any route that has " issues " for big rigs. Never hurts to ask... Looked like route 35 is a little bit shorter distance wise and goes right along the lake, but that don't always make it a better choice.

Anybody been that way lately trying to escape cheeseheadland?

Jay and Joyce.. and IZZY the Havanese guard dog
2009 Tiffin 42 QBH on Spartan, HydraLift, DualSport mosickle, Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk toad, AF1 brake system
kannonvaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
MI 35 is okay to travel in your rig ...

I hope you are going to Munising to see the Pictured Rocks National Seashore ... and to check out Tahquamanon Falls ...

I hope you are enjoying your time in Wisconsin ... we have several good "local" beers made in WI ... Lienenkugel red, Spotted Cow are two of our favorites .... I hope you have time to enjoy them before you leave

2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second that SKIGRAMP..

Now, to the O/P.. if you like decent music there is a group in Wisconson (usually) Called "River Folk" Riverfolk I have had the pleasure of singing with these folks, and dining with 'em (John from Detroit, do not know if they will remember me, been a few years We met in Troy MI at a convention)

As for Taquamanon falls. IN Gallons per minute over the lip it's second to Niagara Kind of impressive Not nearly as high.. but the water is "Golden" One lovely waterfall, and one of many.. If in Munising to see Pictured Rock there is even a waterfall there.. Not nearly as impressive (Flow rate of a couple of garden hoses) but still neat.. right in town too (next to the medical center)

Oh, and Paradise, mi.. You'll be glad you made it
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Cool beans....

We always spend a couple weeks each summer at Egg Harbor, and meet up with some friends from Minnesota. We hit all our favorite restaurants and joints and get in some mosickle ridin and some fishin.

We haven't been over to the west side of cheeseheadland in a while although some of my favorite stuff is over on the river roads around PDC and LaCrosse. Gays Mills has about the best apples yer ever gonna find in this country, and near there they make the finest smoked sausage to be had anywhere along with great cheeses.

The last time we went over that way we booked a couple weeks at Wyalusing SP up on the bluff. We had a 38' class A with a garage carrying a sidecar rig at that time. We barely got into the CG with that rig, but did get into a decent spot without killin anybody or running over any large trees and such. THEN we found out the place was buzzing with skeeters. Bad skeeters, not the friendly kind..... and this was in the FALL like maybe early October. Who knew? It has been pretty wet each summer for several years in western Wisconsin, so we've stayed away from there for a while.

I do miss them little sausages though..... can't get any like those anywhere else in Wisconsin like they make there around Steuben just east of PDC. YUMMM !

We're not gonna go further north than rte 2 on this trip. We're just tryin to get over to Traverse Bay. We do plan to go see the locks and such at SSM via toad once we get settled in at the resort, along with the other sights which we haven't seen for a while since we've not been in that area for about five years or so.

I will say that Wisconsin needs to get on the bandwagon and develope a few "luxury motor coach resorts " like they are getting over on the Michigan side of the lake. I can think of several spots along the western shore and also on the river road that would support a high end coach resort. Lots of campgrounds in Wisconsin, but they are mostly just handy for the smaller coaches and travel trailers IMHO.
Build it and they will come ....

Jay and Joyce.. and IZZY the Havanese guard dog
2009 Tiffin 42 QBH on Spartan, HydraLift, DualSport mosickle, Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk toad, AF1 brake system
kannonvaggon is offline   Reply With Quote