Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Word of Warning - Delaware Memorial Bridge and I-95 SOUTH from there...

Not sure if this has been posted yet, if so please forgive.

There is an on-going MAJOR, repeat MAJOR construction effort in the area just south of the Delaware Memorial Bridge along I-95, I-495, I-295 and US-13 South, for probably the next 24 to 36 months.

On and off ramps are being reconstructed, there's a lot of repaving and widening, and just general monkey business going on all around that particular spot. Traffic SOUTHBOUND coming off the bridge that's looking for I-95 south is backed up almost 24x7.

There are not a lot of alternatives, but if you are in the area, look for I-95 and I-495 SOUTH in the Philly-Chester-Claymont area, rather than the I-295/NJTP routes in Jersey.

Here is a link to the DRBA page with more explanation and such.

http://www.drba.net/LinkClick.aspx?f...nI%3d&tabid=39
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

We take I295 South to the Commodore Barr bridge. Then onto I95 south to I495. Some maintenance work going on the bridge, but no backup.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
We take I295 South to the Commodore Barr bridge. Then onto I95 south to I495. Some maintenance work going on the bridge, but no backup.
Yes, that's pretty much the only workable alternative. By the time 495 South feeds in to 95 south, you're out of the woods, so to speak.

I should note that NORTHBOUND traffic coming up from Maryland on I-95, etc is NOT affected quite so much. There are often slowdowns around exit 7 because of mall traffic but it's no worse than usual, if you're going in that direction.

Same holds true if you're coming up US 13 from farther south on the DelMarVa peninsula. No real problems.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have not tried it yet but, I know there is RT40 on the DE side that you can take all the way down to Baltimore. It is two lanes on each side ( a four lane route) but I have never drove it.

Anyone tried this RT40 route ?
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
I have not tried it yet but, I know there is RT40 on the DE side that you can take all the way down to Baltimore. It is two lanes on each side ( a four lane route) but I have never drove it.

Anyone tried this RT40 route ?
Well, to get down to where US 40 branches off US 13 about 4 miles south of the bridge, you'd still have to go over the bridge. And it's pretty much 65 miles of traffic lights about every 1/2 mile or so. There are stretches with open road for a few miles between Elkton and North East, MD, but on a good day it would add an hour to any trip from Wilmington to Baltimore.

If you are headed south from the Philly area towards Baltimore, the best bet is to take the I-495 or I-95 route specifically, and stay out of New Jersey all together.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the warning. Just mapped this route this morning to get from New England the Chesapeake bridge tunnel. Any suggestions how to get to route 13 coming from New England?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #7

Word of Warning

As someone who commutes on this road every day, there is construction but it's not too bad unless there is an accident. I haven't had to find an alternate route so far. I'd avoid Fri evenings, Sat late morning/early afternoon and Sun afternoons. They have cameras on their website you can check for delays www.drba.net.
TomJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Took a chance and went the Delaware Memorial bridge route yesterday. Crossed about 10 or so, absolutely no problems on the road to I95.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
As if that wasn't bad enough...

Word of warning : Yesterday (4/19) sometime in the late afternoon, a cable problem (?) required what the DRBA is calling "emergency repairs", on the SOUTHBOUND (NJ to DE) span, reducing that route to ONE LANE. Traffic this morning was backed up halfway to Cherry Hill, I hear.

DRBA reports that this work may take SEVERAL days, and recommend southbound 95 travellers in Jersey cross to PA on the Commodore Barry in Chester, and make their way south that way.

Traffic Cameras
Old 04-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Thanks for the warning. Just mapped this route this morning to get from New England the Chesapeake bridge tunnel. Any suggestions how to get to route 13 coming from New England?
As mentioned, it depends on how you're coming south, but if you find yourself in New Jersey at any time, from the NJTP or I-295, look for signs to the Commodore Barry Bridge in Chester, about 10 miles south of Philly area. Take the CBB over to I-95 SOUTH in Pennsylvania, and either stay on that, or look for I-495 SOUTH. I-495 follows right along the river between Chester and Wilmington, and is SLIGHTLY more scenic that I-95 itself which runs through the city of Wilmington, but it's a coin flip. There are NOT USUALLY any major problems with the route from Chester to Wilmington.

You will see signs for US-13 SOUTH and NORTH as you come around the western edge Wilmington, past the port and the landfill. If it's a warm day, you won't be able to ignore the landfill. Follow the signs for US-13 SOUTH (also called the "DuPont Highway", for some unknown reason..

The southbound traffic on US-13 is usually not so bad. Follow signs for DE 1 towards DOVER (nice, four-lane divided road, small toll) and then when 1 peters out near Dover, look for US-113 SOUTH.

US 113 shoots eastward down the Delmarva, skirting the only major burb of any significance for the next 150 miles, Salisbury MD. There's one or two traffic lights, contrasting the 20 or 30 if you stay on US-13 proper. They merge again down in Pokomoke City, and then you're breezin' along all the way to Norfolk.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
And check this out, taken from the bridge's website. I have no idea what the last sentence means:

RV and Camper E-ZPass Alert
As a vehicle enters a Delaware Memorial Bridge toll lane, the toll system reads both the number of axles and the vehicle profile. If a customer is towing a trailer or is operating a large recreational vehicle and enters a dedicated E-ZPass lane, the system may register the transaction at a commercial rate. To eliminate the potential for a misclassification, the DRBA advises customers to pay the toll manually. The E-ZPass transponder must be removed before entering the lane and placed in the read proof bag during the transaction.

In addition, all E-ZPass customers should always check their statements to make sure that the charges are accurate and immediately report any discrepancies to their customer service center. This alert does not apply to campers or RVs with dual tires.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, that is very confusing. Typical. :(

I think what they're trying to get at is the idea that the EzPass system uses the number of axles as ONE determinate of toll class. An RV with a toad will get measured differently if the RV and the TOAD both have transponders. Thus, the notation that the TOAD transponder should be stored in the fancy anti-reading bag they send you, so it won't register.

Plus, if an RV with a toad or trailer enters an EZ-pass ONLY toll lane but DOES NOT have an EzPass transponder, the camera will snap the license and send you a bill, but a bill based on a COMMERCIAL vehicle, not an RV, because of all the extra axles.

Also, a DUAL-rear tire RV is not the same as a tag axle RV, for EzPass purposes.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
After re-reading it, I wonder if they mean that an RV with dual tires on the drive axle pays the commercial rate, not the RV rate.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
After re-reading it, I wonder if they mean that an RV with dual tires on the drive axle pays the commercial rate, not the RV rate.
No - Both my RVs were dual tires but not dual axles. I have an RV tag that's a couple bucks more than a regular car to cross, but not as much as a Kenworth with a45' box behind it...

Plus, it may also vary depending on which STATE ezpass you have. Mine are Jersey .