Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Worland WY to Buffalo WY HWY 16

Is this the easiest route east to I90 from Yellowstone? How are the grades they seem pretty steep? How long are the steeper grades? Any suggestions or info would be helpful. Pulling a 36 ft 5th Wheel with a 3500 Ram. Mark

werv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
American Coach Owners Club
Hey Mark, While camping in Buffalo(Indian Campground...(nice people,nice park) we did a long day trip loop that the last section was 16 from Worland east back into Buffalo (toad trip). The road between Worland and Ten Sleep was very good and an easy drive. After Ten Sleep, it gets pretty steep. The road was excellent but will require some slow going on the steeper grades(long and some I would guess at maybe 7 to 9 %. We did see a few class A's towing but most disconnected...the 5'ers were muscling up the grades with not much effort. Your 3500 should do just fine from what we saw.

BTW, in Ten Sleep, they put on a pretty good rodeo everyday and worth the stop.

Also, just outside of Ten Sleep (6-10 miles past and heading east) there is a campground on the right at the base of the up grades of Bolder Pk. Sorry, I should have kept better records, but the campground(on the right) is on a road that parallels 16 on the opposite side of the canyon that turns into dirt and reconnects with 16 near the top of the pass. That road is worth spending a night there at the CG and driving with the truck. !6, IMO is much tamer than 14A further to the north. Enjoy the trip, it's a good one. Bob

One other note, Mark. As I said, it was a long day trip and we were caught after dark on the last third of 16 into Buffalo. I never saw so many deer on a patch of road as we did that night...FYI.

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We pulled the same route a year ago and it was a beautiful drive. Some sections was really slow as we was pulling a Ford Explorer with our then class A with Ford V10 engine.
Didn't really bother me though as I rarely get in a big hurry.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be a very doable trip. I plan on staying at Boulder Creek 1 night then moving onto Buffalo. Again thanks for the insight on this route. Mark
werv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

16 is a good road, very scenic but not as taxing as 14 or 14A to the north. Check out RVcruzer.com - Driving Routes for Large RVs into Yellowstone National Park for more details on crossing the Bighorns.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
we did it last spring 40 footer pulling trailblazer . nice drive, area around ten sleep was very beautiful. big horn mtns great. just take your time and enjoy the view's

beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote