Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #15

In order bad to worse:

- I15 West of New Orleans (just plain rough)
- I80 in Indiana (same)
- I65 in Indiana (same but worse)
- I40 East of Williams (rougher and no let up till West of Williams)
- I5/US101 anywhere in CA (the "hoop de coos" roller coaster ride broke the straps on the MC)
- Some state road North of West Yellowstone (broke the highway peg the MC was tied down to)!!!!!

It is a shame we couldn't spend some of that enormous amount of budget spent overseas on infrastructure and the jobs created to fix our Interstate and US highways. Pls don't turn into a political commentary...the point that I'm trying to get across is the road system is deteriorating faster than it is being repaired. Out West is the worst, but i wouldn't disagree about I95 on the East coast as well! That's all....and it needs money...now!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
l\Loking for routing suggestions, currently in Old Orchard Beach, Me headed to St Johnsbury, Vt. on Thursday. Looking for routes that avoid thruways etc.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
l\Loking for routing suggestions, currently in Old Orchard Beach, Me headed to St Johnsbury, Vt. on Thursday. Looking for routes that avoid thruways etc.
Rt 2 accross Maine and whatever it might change to on the way. Hilly but not all that bad. Just did Maine to turnoff to N Conway NH.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post
I-15 out of LA up to Vegas is pretty bad. I also really dislike the concrete freeways of Houston with uneven bridge abutments all along the way.
Yeah, if memory serves, closer to Vegas the tire noise is almost unbearable...
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaddy View Post
In order bad to worse:

- I15 West of New Orleans (just plain rough)
- I80 in Indiana (same)
- I65 in Indiana (same but worse)
- I40 East of Williams (rougher and no let up till West of Williams)
- I5/US101 anywhere in CA (the "hoop de coos" roller coaster ride broke the straps on the MC)
- Some state road North of West Yellowstone (broke the highway peg the MC was tied down to)!!!!!

It is a shame we couldn't spend some of that enormous amount of budget spent overseas on infrastructure and the jobs created to fix our Interstate and US highways. Pls don't turn into a political commentary...the point that I'm trying to get across is the road system is deteriorating faster than it is being repaired. Out West is the worst, but i wouldn't disagree about I95 on the East coast as well! That's all....and it needs money...now!

We spent 1.7 Trillion dollars on the Iraq war and look at where it is today? Meanwhile, we have bridges collapsing, corroded gas lines and a deteriorating interstate system just for a start.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #20

Pls don't turn into a political statement. We just need to spend more money on roads, wherever it will come from.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

Worst road in America = Louisiana.

You have to want to build roads this rough.

Quote:
We spent 1.7 Trillion dollars on the Iraq war and look at where it is today? Meanwhile, we have bridges collapsing, corroded gas lines and a deteriorating interstate system just for a start.
If memory serves me correct, didn't we have bad roads before this? ...just saying...
Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We just did the PA turnpike about a month ago, west to east from the I-79 interchange all the way to the Downingtown exit, which is about 30 miles west of Philly. The eastbound lanes were not TOO bad, although there was construction here and there on the WESTbound lanes around Harrisburg. The Turnpike's NE extension is also undergoing a lot of work, in both north and south directions.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #23

hwy 69/75 from Big Cabin Oklahoma south to Sherman Tex will beat your rig to death. It is a great shortcut to get from I 44 to I 20 but really hard on a RV
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I am confident that I-95 on the east side of the George Washington bridge has to be the worst road in America. Drove it earlier today, after paying a $68.00 tool to cross the bridge and have never driven over such a rough road as exist there.
Do you have a worst road story to share?
I-65 from Louisville, KY to Indianapolis, IN. That road is criminal negligence. The Governor of Indiana should be sentenced to drive that road non-stop, fulltime until it's replaced (I don't think it can be fixed it's so bad). Parts of I-35 in Oklahoma are pretty bad also.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Notice many of the reported highways are the high volume pathways. More traffic, especially trucks, means more wear and more inconvenience when under rebuild. Volunteer to pay higher fuel taxes, tolls, etc. to fix our crumbling infrastructure. We've spent decades passing the problem on to our children by deferred maintenance. Sadly, repairs don't get cheaper with delay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Worst road in America

I agree with I-15 west of New Orleans being pretty rough, and I-40 east of Kingman, Arizona being really bad.

But my vote for the worst road I've driven is the stretch I drove last May on old Hy-99 south of Sacramento until (as I recall) around Fresno. The bumps, bad pavement, lane closures, pot holes, and etc. just never seemed to let up.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Notice many of the reported highways are the high volume pathways. More traffic, especially trucks, means more wear and more inconvenience when under rebuild. Volunteer to pay higher fuel taxes, tolls, etc. to fix our crumbling infrastructure. We've spent decades passing the problem on to our children by deferred maintenance. Sadly, repairs don't get cheaper with delay.
Here's an interesting article regarding the Federal Highway Trust Fund and fuel taxes:

Gas Tax Can't Fill Up Federal Highway Trust Fund - Businessweek
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Here's an interesting article regarding the Federal Highway Trust Fund and fuel taxes:

Gas Tax Can't Fill Up Federal Highway Trust Fund - Businessweek
I read similar articles. The other factor I didn't bring up here, on an RV forum was besides fuel and use taxes, we need to re-develop public passenger services to cut down on private auto use. As a kid in suburban Philadelphia, I could ride a county wide bus service that connected with train, trolley, and subway forms of passenger travel. Now, in Cincinnati, I can ride a bus downtown, a 15 minute drive in my car that takes the bus 55 minutes. Once downtown, I could transfer to another bus and go back out to another area. Not very user friendly.

A lot of the kvetching about our highways is the orange barrels, lane closures, and construction. We RVers want to travel in the warm months, the same time construction crews are busy.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote