Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
There is a stretch of I-75 north of Tampa that has been under long-term construction for years, and has two or three more years to go. Last spring, with a total of about five miles behind the wheel of a motor home, I hit a bad spot in the Northbound slow lane that tried to throw me into the fast lane. I recovered, but it had me wondering if I was up to driving the rig. The rest of the trip wasn't nearly as scary, and after I got home I flew back to Tampa to pick up my Sequoia and drive it home. When I was going through that bad stretch I thought about the scary experience the last time I drove through. Just then the road tossed the SEQUOIA into the fast lane. I guess it wasn't just my inexperienced driving after all.

I-275 used to be a good way to avoid that construction, but now they have it torn up as well. I'm working on a non-Interstate route for going south through Hillsborough County next January.

I also agree on the rough road I-95 northbound through South Carolina. It is a real tooth-rattler.
You will probably want to avoid I75 from the northern Pasco County line as well. They've started widening the road and re-building interchanges on that stretch. You can get off I75 at FL50 (they are working on that interchange as well, but its not too bad) and go west to US41 or to the toll road to go on into Tampa or go east to US41 to go south.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #44

In Florida we start repaving. Then when we get to the end we go back to the start and start again. And start again. Any questions?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #45

Another vote for Louisiana, I-10 beat me to death last year. Took I-20 this year, not too bad in the middle, but in Shreveport I bottomed out the air bags, porposing at 55 mph.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
TinCanTee,

That's what I was planning - take exit 301 (also US98), then US98 to the Suncoast Parkway (FL589), then the Suncoast Parkway to I-275. Then it should be an easy trip across the Skyline Bridge, rejoin I-75 and continue south. I assume that the Suncoast Parkway is the road that goes by the airport that they finally finished after having things dug up for what seemed like forever.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
TinCanTee,

That's what I was planning - take exit 301 (also US98), then US98 to the Suncoast Parkway (FL589), then the Suncoast Parkway to I-275. Then it should be an easy trip across the Skyline Bridge, rejoin I-75 and continue south. I assume that the Suncoast Parkway is the road that goes by the airport that they finally finished after having things dug up for what seemed like forever.
The Suncoast Parkway is the Veteran's Expressway in Hillsborough County (passing the Tampa airport). Unfortunately, much of that road is also under construction now, being widened and adding "toll by plate" systems.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
The Suncoast Parkway is the Veteran's Expressway in Hillsborough County (passing the Tampa airport). Unfortunately, much of that road is also under construction now, being widened and adding "toll by plate" systems.
I didn't know about the construction on the toll road. I usually go to Tampa via US41 and get on I275 at Bearss Ave if I need to.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #49

Rexhall Owners Group
As a snowbird heading about as far south in Florida as I can go, what would you Florida posters think of a slightly more inland route, say 98 to 35 to 17. going through Lakeland, Ardcadia, etc..?
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
I didn't know about the construction on the toll road. I usually go to Tampa via US41 and get on I275 at Bearss Ave if I need to.
You're much braver than me to take a motorhome on I275 through Tampa. I don't even like taking my Mini Cooper (which I can easily maneuver around/away from the lunatics) on that road. We prefer to just plod along Busch Blvd. or even Hillsborough Ave. to get through Tampa.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
You're much braver than me to take a motorhome on I275 through Tampa. I don't even like taking my Mini Cooper (which I can easily maneuver around/away from the lunatics) on that road. We prefer to just plod along Busch Blvd. or even Hillsborough Ave. to get through Tampa.
Its not too bad if you just keep your eyes closed.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
As a snowbird heading about as far south in Florida as I can go, what would you Florida posters think of a slightly more inland route, say 98 to 35 to 17. going through Lakeland, Ardcadia, etc..?
I think it would depend on how much of a hurry you're in. IIRC, most of the route you outline is divided 4 lane, but going thru Lakeland can be a pain...just take your time...lots of traffic lights.

I avoid interstate for the most part, jump on here and there because I hate surface streets thru big cities. For instance, I take 301 north from Tampa area to I10 to get to I95 when going north. Going thru Ocala on 301 is not too bad. Most of my RV driving is within FL, so I'm never in much of a hurry.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Maybe that's why most RVs going to Central FL for sale need a front end alignment upon delivery:(
I know mine did!!
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
TinCanTee,

That's a lot of miles out of the way to avoid a little bit of construction. I-75 has been moving pretty well lately and you can get by Tampa in a flash (except during rush hour). Consider also that they may not let you onto the bridge if it's windy.

JMO
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #55

Stay in the far left lane thru the construction north of Tampa, it isn't that bad.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd say I-40 though Oklahoma City.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote