Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Worst road in America

I am confident that I-95 on the east side of the George Washington bridge has to be the worst road in America. Drove it earlier today, after paying a $68.00 tool to cross the bridge and have never driven over such a rough road as exist there.
Do you have a worst road story to share?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Pennsylvania Turnpike, about the same cost, awful road lots of construction, and in 2006 lots of construction. Never again.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #3

I was on the Penn Tpke last week and it was fine between the delaware river and Hershey.

I will agree that the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95 east of GW bridge) is easily the worst. It's super expensive, and it's like driving on a road in a third world country. Just look at all the car parts (mufflers, hubcaps ets.) on the shoulders.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I am confident that I-95 on the east side of the George Washington bridge has to be the worst road in America. Drove it earlier today, after paying a $68.00 tool to cross the bridge and have never driven over such a rough road as exist there.
Haven't heard of a person referred to as a tool in years! You should go to Harbor Freight, tools are cheaper there!

As fuel economy goes up, revenue goes down and the gov'ment keeps short changing our infrastructure. Last Sunday during a Bengals game some poor ticket holder came out after the game and his car had been crushed by a piece of concrete that fell off the I-75 bridge between Ohio and Kentucky. That particular bridge has been over capacity for over 30 years and still no plans to replace it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
You should have asked advice first. Nobody voluntarily drives the Cross Bronx. There are plenty of ways to bypass the entire NY Metro area- hell, you can bypass the entire DC-Phil-NYC corridor and only add about 100 miles to an east coast transit.

There are other bad road segments, too, though the CBE is in a class by itself. I-84 Waterbury through Hartford can break some parts, although it's clear that CT is putting a lot of money into other segments of the road. The western reaches of I-90 in MN, from SD line to Rochester is not so much deadly as intensely frustrating with its unremitting bumpiness. Even the Indiana Toll Road (I-80) is deteriorating. I-80 through Indiana and Ohio together used to be the national model for well managed and well maintained highway. Ohio's still pretty good, but the ITR was privatized some years back, and when I drove it a couple of weeks ago it was clear that the owners are deferring maintenance. It's only a matter of time. I haven't driven the NY State Thruway in years (I-90), but I'm told just recently that it's in great shape the whole length. If true, that's likely the future we can expect. It costs about $65-$70 to take a MH and toad across NY. <<sigh>

BTW, FYI---- The Ohio Turnpike has now built dedicated RV parking areas at three of the four Turnpike Service Plazas in each direction (check the website). Ten spots at each area, max length 40 ft, 20/30/50A electric at each spot, dump station and potable water source at each area. Cost is $20 per night; pay the machine and put the receipt on your windshield. We used it one night travelling through. Very nice lot; no noise problem even though you're at a highway service plaza, and of course super convenient.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I nominate I-70 through the center of Indianapolis. Drove it Saturday. Beer bottles actually bounced over in the fridge, and one actually opened up.
From now on I go around.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I-15 out of LA up to Vegas is pretty bad. I also really dislike the concrete freeways of Houston with uneven bridge abutments all along the way.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I nominate I-70 through the center of Indianapolis. Drove it Saturday. Beer bottles actually bounced over in the fridge, and one actually opened up.
From now on I go around.
Bob
I'm surprised I-70 through the center of the city is open, for at least the past two years I think it's been closed, diverting you around the I-465 beltway.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

I would also vote for the PA turnpike as the worst. We usually stay west of OK, so we have been all over CA and the roads there are bad. In 2011 we went to the east coast, most roads were ok but that PA turnpike was the worst road we've ever been on. 2 flats later, we bought 4 new tires and made it out of there to NY.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I 84 in PA, yes the GW I 95 is awful! I last went thru in 1988 and is was scary then can't imagine how it is now. I'll throw I 95 from crossing the GA border and heading north to Myrtle Beach, it will absolutely loosen your coach. I've been checking every connection today after getting home from the National Rally, not really what I wanted to do!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Haven't heard of a person referred to as a tool in years! You should go to Harbor Freight, tools are cheaper there!
I think he meant toll
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #12

Interstate 5 thru Stocton ca, real bad with lots of construction.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

Maine roads are ALL TERRIBLE including I-95. Get new shocks before you go there.
JimB
Old 09-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #14

Can't not tax billionaires and have companies like Apple and Burger King and General Electric and Intel each parking billions of dollars overseas waiting for the next amnesty as under Bush when the money came into the USA and was taxed at a 10% rate, and have money for infrastructure (or schools or health care or anything else).

Even tiny Costa Rica has better roads than I find where I live and they also have free health care, free education through college, and social security. Better internet access and better public transportation than in most of the USA. But no army and no navy and no air force to pay for in operation or in retirement. No coupes either with no military for our CIA to influence.