Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you decide to go, I predict when you come back you will tell everyone how amazing it was.
I've read 2 blogs, and the Mazatlan area has thousands of RVs staying there.

40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:27 AM   #30
When were were planning on heading for Mexico I asked the question on another forum - would I be better going to Baja or to the mainland Mexico.

Was told that Baja USA was not really the real Mexico and if we wanted to do it right, we should head for mainland Mexico, forget the crap that most Americans go on about how unsafe it is and how gruesomely we would die, and just enjoy the experience.

We followed that advice, boondocked for close to half the nights and went back over the border with nary a bullet hole to brag about and a heap of great experiences.

If we do ever go to Baja, I would expect it to be uneventful and probably wish I had stayed at Quartzite and saved a heap of driving.

My suggestion would be if you are going to ask for advise, accept that 90% will be from naysayers who have never been there and just listen to the 10% who might know enough to give meaningful counsel

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #31
Newmar Owners Club
[moderator edit]

If You would prefer an honest and direct answer Send Me a Private message. If You are truly interested in joining a small group of intelligent People in an impromptu Caravan next Winter We would be more than happy to put You in touch with a number of Our Friends!

Nothing organized ,no commitments,just honest answers !

We don't charge a fee and We don't have any financial interest in any of the RV Parks or Public Beaches that We recommend.

Our only request is that after You experience for Yourself ,how wonderful The Country if Mexico is ,You spread the word!

If on the other hand You don't enjoy yourselves ,feel safe and Happy , We would love to hear exactly what it was that You didn't like, so that We can address the issue!

RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #32
Originally Posted by GraciesDaddy View Post
I start sweating at about Van Horn on I-10 [going west] and don't stop until Las Cruces... or even Deming!
I'm a total basket case on I-8...
Are you serious?
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #33

Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
How many of you feel comfortable driving your Motorhome or RV down to Baja Mexico. I'm really concerned about actually driving it there and back. I would get the proper insurance ect., but I'm leaning towards not doing it as I'm not sure if it is safe to, or would make us a target.

I'm not concerned about where we would end up as we have friends who own some houses in a location that is just south of Ensenada. We have been going there since we were kids, the complex has it's own security, and a campsite next to the houses right on the beach, and it's beautiful. I have no problem in the car, but the MH concerns me.
I ran a search on State Department warning for Mexico and found this site.
Mexico Travel Warning It give a lot of narrative but also provides a state by state breakdown of warnings - some locations have "no advisory in effect" This what the US Department of State says about Baja:
Baja California: Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California - Exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. Criminal activity along highways is a continuing security concern. According to the Baja State Secretariat for Public Security, from January to October 2014 Tijuana and Rosarito experienced increasing homicide rates compared to the same period in the previous year. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #34
I lived in San Diego for 18 years...in college and afterwards. My friends and I used to go to Baja twice per year. We had a great time, but we weren't driving fancy motor homes...more like pickup trucks and tents. Last time I was down there was about 15 years ago. My friends, who have lived in San Diego their entire lives, tell me that there are so many problems with going south that they won't go anymore. The root of these problems seem to be the drug cartels that ship product from the mainland to Baja by fast boats and then ship it north to the US from there. So, you are likely to run into these bad actors in Baja, and that's not a good thing. It's a pretty place to go, but for me, the risks are too high. I'll explore the 1000 places in the US that I haven't seen yet instead.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #35
Thor Owners Club
I wouldn't take my rig into Mexico.....I don't trust the mexican government or law enforcement. Has nothing to do with most of the people that live in Mexico. But I wouldn't criticize folks that do go there...nor imply that they have their heads up parts of their anatomy because they don't agree with me.........live and let live
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #36
Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Are you serious?
John E. Baker, III and Sally Baker... The Traveling Siblings! ó Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!
GraciesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #37
[moderator edit]

Some go to Mexico and enjoy it, I was last there 4 years ago and would not cross the border again. I live close to the border 4-5 months a year and have a good idea of what is going on. I will not risk life or limb to go there, I'm too old to do that anymore.

[moderator edit]

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, many posts have been removed or edited for attacking, rudeness & baiting...all of which are violations of our Community Rules. Our first rule is Be Courteous!. Many seemed to have forgotten that.

The OP asked for input from members who have driven their RV's into Mexico. Please keep responses based on that request & leave the snarky comments behind.

Thank you,
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #39
Newmar Owners Club

The Cities on Both Sides of the Mexico-US Border are certainly the areas to avoid!

We don't hang out anywhere near there ,however I feel safer in most parts of Mexico than I do in the Southern USA!

There are areas in the Vancouver,B.C. Suburbs where I spent much of My Adult life that are also No Go zones !

I have had the opportunity to travel to many Countries around the World sometimes peaceful Holidays and sometimes during periods of Social unrest ,with outright Bloody War Zones on the streets .

I don't consider that RV ing in Mexico is anywhere near as Dangerous as some people on these Internet Forums suggest!

If You have personally had a bad experience I feel sorry that things went wrong for You!

You are equally welcome to express Your opinions on this Forum!

I am proud to be a Happy Camper hanging out on a quiet Beach in Mexico and I will continue to Drive My RV down here for as long as My Health allows.
RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #40
I would not go anywhere in Mexico in any vehicle.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #41
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you do a Google Earth fly-over of the Puerto Penasco area of Mexico you'll be amazed at the number of large RV's and 5vers parked along the coast.

Here is one example.

I say go at your own risk and it would be better if traveling with other RVer's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Rocky Point is less than an hour's drive from the border. They call it Arizona's beachfront. Kind of Mexico Lite. A while back there was a firefight involving the strafing of a luxury condo complex by a military helicopter trying to kill a drug lord there. The cartel also assassinated the police chief in town. In the border town of Sonoita the cartel forced the mayor and police out of town and took the place over.

But, yes, some people still go
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #42
I travel to Rocky point 2-3 times a month in the winter. I travel to Tijuana 4 - 6 times a year. Since December I have been to Rocky point 4 times and just got back from TJ last weekend. I have been traveling to Mexico for 8 years at the same rate. I too was scared as well as ignorant before that. Most of my best friends are living there. the dollar is currently very strong (14.5 pesos to $1) right now. I have had 2 minor incidents in the last 8 years. The people are down to earth and would do anything for you, even a stranger. Mexico is beautiful. Go Go GO!!!

mbridinger is online now   Reply With Quote