Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

WV hwy 33/55?

Has anybody driven along the Virginia side over to West Virginia on highway 33 in a long 5th wheel. My plan is to go from New Market,Va to Elkins Wv.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

I have pulled a 31-foot TT with a 2500 Yukon XL on the section from Elkins to Seneca Rocks on US 33 -ONCE. After that trip, we started going through Canaan Valley. Of course that doesn't help you. We have the option. I was tempted by the great section of US 33 from I-79 to Elkins. It is 4-lane on that stretch, but you aren't going that far. The 4-lane stops near Elkins and the twisting 2-lane starts.

Here's a 10% grade:

There are some steep sections with switch backs, but the road is OK, just steep. I see tractor trailers on the route. The steep sections have some pull outs, brake check stations and passing lanes, but you can get behind slow moving traffic or become the slow moving traffic yourself. Usually, that doesn't last long, though.

For the most part, the road is kept in good shape and has plenty of room by WV standards. You will not be on a 2-lane road with a lane and half and no berm. The lanes are wide, and it's a true 2-lane highway. It just gets steep and windy. I haven't been there since last summer, so don't take too much from my "good shape" comment. It could be all tore up right now and I wouldn't know.

I am not familiar with the section towards Virginia.

One thing is for sure, you will see some beautiful country. This is our favorite place to go. We usually go two to three times per year. Our kids are moving into their teens and activities at home are starting to interfere with our camping, though, so no fall trip last year? The visitors center at Seneca Rocks has plenty of parking for big rigs, so don't be afraid to pull in there.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
I have pulled a 31-foot TT with a 2500 Yukon XL on the section from Elkins to Seneca Rocks on US 33 -ONCE. After that trip, we started going through Canaan Valley. Of course that doesn't help you. We have the option. I was tempted by the great section of US 33 from I-79 to Elkins. It is 4-lane on that stretch, but you aren't going that far. The 4-lane stops near Elkins and the twisting 2-lane starts.

Here's a 10% grade:

There are some steep sections with switch backs, but the road is OK, just steep. I see tractor trailers on the route. The steep sections have some pull outs, brake check stations and passing lanes, but you can get behind slow moving traffic or become the slow moving traffic yourself. Usually, that doesn't last long, though.

For the most part, the road is kept in good shape and has plenty of room by WV standards. You will not be on a 2-lane road with a lane and half and no berm. The lanes are wide, and it's a true 2-lane highway. It just gets steep and windy. I haven't been there since last summer, so don't take too much from my "good shape" comment. It could be all tore up right now and I wouldn't know.

I am not familiar with the section towards Virginia.

One thing is for sure, you will see some beautiful country. This is our favorite place to go. We usually go two to three times per year. Our kids are moving into their teens and activities at home are starting to interfere with our camping, though, so no fall trip last year? The visitors center at Seneca Rocks has plenty of parking for big rigs, so don't be afraid to pull in there.
Thank you for your report. Sounds kinda like the mountain roads back home in Nor-Cal.

In the Rand McNally Truckers atlas, it says this is an approved Rd to travel, so I guess with your report and there's I'M going for it on the 22nd.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Beautiful Road! Like the man said, there are lots of Tractor Trailers using it. I only have a 25' Winnebago-but I think that if a Semi can go somewhere- we can too
Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Roger that, Deny. Can't wait to do it.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

Drove this hwy yesterday, and although it was pretty steep on a couple of grades (9%) it's a beautiful drive. It will definitely test your vehicles transmission and cooling system. Our new Ram totally impressed me. I love the way the Aisin Trans down shifts under a load. Totally seamless.