Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #1

We are taking our 3 young children ( 7,5&1) to Disney and will be staying at a new KOA. Do the theme parks have RV parking? We need to be able to go back to the coach for kids naps and so on.
If they do have parking will we be close enough to do this or is there lot transportation?

Also I have directions from mapquest and plan on two easy days each way. I have not RV'd beyond Myrtle Beach SC. Is there anything on the trip heading south that is a must see or do with kids?

Herd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #2

We are taking our 3 young children ( 7,5&1) to Disney and will be staying at a new KOA. Do the theme parks have RV parking? We need to be able to go back to the coach for kids naps and so on.
If they do have parking will we be close enough to do this or is there lot transportation?

Also I have directions from mapquest and plan on two easy days each way. I have not RV'd beyond Myrtle Beach SC. Is there anything on the trip heading south that is a must see or do with kids?

Herd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the parking is at the transportation center, there is parking for RV's. Cars are now about $9 so RV's might be $10 . The trams run you to and from the lot. REMEMBER where you are parked lol, and use lots of sunscreen. It is a lot cheaper to eat your meals in the RV and let the kids nap. I think Animal Kindom has it's own parking lot. Mousesavers.com can answer a lot of your questions. Good Luck
Old 01-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #4

Bill,

I live near Disney and I've made the trip to the Smokey Mtns (near Pigeon Forge) with my RV for the past 5 years -- every year! I know about every pitfall along the way. I'll give the best route AND the quickest. IMO

The first trip I used I-75....bad choice because of Atlanta, major contruction all over, and it's a rough ride - bumby. You will saves lots of time taking the eastern board down I-95. (It maybe a few miles longer, but you'll save much time because it's QUICKER. Go to Asheville and take I-26 south to I-95.

Jacksonville is your "problem area" but you can avoid it by taking the I-295 by-pass loop around the city. Go WEST on the loop because you want to go to SR 17. At SR 17 go south again toward Orange Park and Palatka. In Palatka get on SR 19 heading south to Eustis.

(From Jacksonville to Eustis it's a single lane highway going thru the Ocala Forest....your average speed will be 65 mph because it's light traffic....and it's scenic!)

In Eustis you will hit hwy 441 junction....go south on that until you get to Apopka (suburb of Orlando) In Apopka go south on toll road 429 until you come to the Florida Turnpike and go south on turnpike for about 15 miles and you'll be in Kissimmee.

Taking this route will save you 3 to 4 hours (or more) on your trip. If you take this route and can make it to Savannah, Ga, there's a huge 8th Air Force museuem there and many other sites in that city. (8th AF are the guys who bombed the crap out of Germeny to liberate Europe.)

Enjoy your trip!

PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

KR
I'm not a big fan of KOA's so I do not stay in one if I can get away from it. Have you tried the CG at Disney? I have as much fun at the Fort Wilderness CG as I do the parks with our grandson. All of your transportation is taken care of, get to ride all the boats free and lots to do in the CG. Its worth the extra few bucks to stay at Disney. Park once and enjoy all the parks. Also the advice about eating and resting is a good idea. Although the food at Disney has improved, it still best to go back to the camper and rest after you eat. s/Toby