Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
WDW

WY 14 or WY 16

OK so we're in the final planning stages of our trip to Yellowstone. I'm just not sure which route I want to take. Should I leave I 90 at Buffalo and take 16 over to Cody or should I continue along I 90 and then pick up 14 and take that into Cody?

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
OK so we're in the final planning stages of our trip to Yellowstone. I'm just not sure which route I want to take. Should I leave I 90 at Buffalo and take 16 over to Cody or should I continue along I 90 and then pick up 14 and take that into Cody?
We have done both in all three of our coaches. I prefer Hwy 14 for its scenery but it is much steeper, narrower and more winding than Hwy 16. Hwy 16 is a very nice smooth less steep grade but is also quite scenic.

I would say it would depend on how you feel about driving narrow, curvy two-lane road vs. more of a highway multi-lane slight grade route. Much of Hwy 16 has passing lanes and a nice big pullout at the top whereas on Hwy 14 there is nowhere to pull out and definitely nowhere to turn around if you change your mind.

We have also heard that there is a herd of wild horses up over the top of Hwy 14 near Burgess Junction and we have tried to catch a view of them many times over that route but have yet to see them. Once we actually unhooked the Jeep and took off on a side road looking for them, still no sighting. Maybe someone can confirm if that rumor is true or has someone sent me on a wild horse hunt.

Mike.

zmotorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

16 is much more rv friendly. 14 is doable but is steeper with more sharp turns and with fewer passing lanes
Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the wild horses are in the canyon when you come down Rt 14 into Lowell near Powell--it is called Prior mountain wild horse center. There is a ranger at the station.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

I've been up and down both 14 and 16 in my class A DP pulling a towed, and found little difference; 14 has a few more sharp turns, but both are typical 2 lane roads going over the Rockies. The only one you want to avoid in a big rig is 14A further north.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done 14, 16 and 14A ~ 6 times each ... don't recommend 14A going up or down with a rig. Highway 14 is my preferred choice ... great scenic drive, new 2-lane from Ranchester up to Burgess Junction. Just before Burgess Junction there's a great Forest Service Campground called Sibley Lake that easily takes our 43' with 30 amp electric. Always go to the back country with the jeep to see the moose and elk ... haven't heard anything about wild horses. Will be there the second week of July - will ask the locals ...

Enjoy and safe travels!
Old 03-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

14 and 14a are both very scenic drives, 14a is best done using a 2 stage compression brake altho using the second stage I had to keep hitting the accelerator to maintain 40 MPH on the western downslope. Glad they are finally finished with the road work, the last time thru it took nearly 1+30 to reach the top from I-90.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

How ironic, we are just finishing up our summer plans and was wondering this exact same thing! Only we are going East from Yellowstone to Buffalo. Thanks for asking the question WDW!

Here's another question on this. Headed East, to get to 16 from Cody, it looks like one must either take Rt 30 or US 20 and/or Rt 31. How are those roads for a 32-foot gasser with a tow?

And are there any places to pull off in Ten Sleep or Buffalo to have lunch or walk around the the main streets in these two old towns?
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
WDW

McGarrrett -- it's a Jayco thing between us. Almost bought the Precept (I'm on the Jayco Boards) and I know Safety Harbor -- 40 years ago before when Clearwater Beach was a nice family place!

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote