Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Wyoming 18 from Worland to Buffalo

I am starting to plan my trip from Yellowstone back to GNR. I would like to know about Highway 16 from Worland to Buffalo, Wyoming. About 10 years ago I drove a van from Greybull to Sheridan through Shell Canyon on Highway 14 and it was my scariest experience. I can't imagine driving a motor home over that route. Is the Highway 16 route less precarious? I must admit to being a flat-lander and am easily spooked by big drop-offs with no guard rails.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

I don't have my "Mountain West Directory for Trucks and RV" at home ... but as I recall that some of the grades on
  • US 14A are in the 10% range,
  • US 14 are in the 8% range, and
  • US 16 are in the 6 % range
(between Yellowstone and I-90)...

So the answer to your question is ... US 16 is a much friendlier road than either of the other two ...

And if you really want gentle driving ... take US 20 through Thermopolis into Casper ...then beyond Douglas US 20 and SD 79 to Rapid City ... then continue to GNR on I-90

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
You had me there for a minute. Your title mentioned hiway 18 and I could not remember such a hiway. We have done that route several times and it is not bad at all. The road was re-done a few years ago. It is a doable route, but coming through Ten Sleep up the canyon and over the edge is sort of steep and has a couple or three switchbacks might give you some thought. After that it is not so bad, sweepin curves and good road. It is a long pull as you cross the Big Horns. There are a lot of pull outs and most of the route is public land. I forget the name of the pass at the top, but it is a great place to pull out for coffee or lunch and just enjoy the air up there - it is pretty high but you really don't realize it. From there to Buffalo it is down hill for a good portion of the way. No surprises, but not a place to go trying to set a record on either. If you try that route it will be much better than 14 and the scenery is great.
We have done it in an F-250, a 36' pusher (towing) and a 40' towing. wish we were heading that way this summer.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #4

I came through Yellowstone from east to west today and am now camped in West Yellowstone. I think I will go back east through Yellowstone and down to Jackson Hole, through Dubois and on to Casper and then decide whether to go south on I80 or north on I90. Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry about misnaming the highway.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

16 is a good road. 14 and 14A are not. Check out RVcruzer.com - Driving Routes for Large RVs into Yellowstone National Park for details and http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystone/US14A_Sign.jpg for a good map of 14/14A.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

by the time you get to 16 you will be an old hand at it and will enjoy one of the most beautiful and scenic roads in the country.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote