Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wyoming Hwy 22/Teton Pass

We are heading that way in July, after visiting a friend in Idaho, on our way to the WIT Grand National Rally. Has anyone gone over the Teton Pass in a biggish class A? I see that the grade is 10% in both directions. What is your take on this?

Loving our Happy Trails.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Drove it in my toad, did not see any huge red flags. Exhaust brake
and downshifts will be the order of the day. It may be 10% in some
spots, but overall not that severe. Saw plenty of trucks and campers.
You will be busy, but the views are great.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Drove it in my toad, did not see any huge red flags. Exhaust brake
and downshifts will be the order of the day. It may be 10% in some
spots, but overall not that severe. Saw plenty of trucks and campers.
You will be busy, but the views are great.
Mountain driving is not a big issue for me most of the time. The deception of the pass I read online caused me to question. This coach has not had overheating issues in the long mountain passes we have traversed since being on the west coast, about 2 years now. Sometimes the curves are a bit more distracting than the slope. No time for sightseeing.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with me. It just settles any apprehension I may have been having.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick.....We took that pass by accident several years ago. We were in our 36' Monaco Diplomat, towing a 4 door Nissan Frontier. We've traversed a lot of mountain passes, including the Eisenhower in Colorado, Siskyous (sp) in Oregon and routinely over the California Grapevine.

This was the first time we had issues. We had plenty of power and no overheating, but the brakes got hot going down into Jackson. Our coach only had an exhaust brake and I kept the speeds down. I couldn't keep the coach from upshifting, even with the exhaust brake on and using the brakes for short periods. I finally pulled into a turn out and let the brakes cool.

We should have stopped sooner, disconnected the toad and let the wife drive it.

With all that said, there were dump trucks running back and forth, but were most likely running with engine brakes.

I would do it again with my new coach and engine brake, but would be hesitant with just an exhaust. if I were towing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a turnout on top for checking your brakes and putting on chains--it would be a good place to unhitch the toad if that makes you more comfortable. There are brake runaways too but plan on a coronary if you need to use one of those.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Did it in my first class A, a Chev 454 gas in a P30 chassis, which of course doesn't have any exhaust brake. You will be fine, just go slow and enjoy the ride. I wouldn't have thought twice about taking my diesels over it, in fact, someday I want to take my diesel over it just to compare the difference in power.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
These comments are great. Thank you all. For those not familiar with the towed breaking system I have, it runs off the air breaks and breaks proportionately to the pressure applied by my foot. I think the car is fine being towed over the passes from what you are all saying. This is a well built chassis. The engine is a Cummins ISC, 380HP against an Allison which has been working well. The front disk breaks are a plus. I do wish I had a 2 stage engine break though. I had that in my last coach and loved it.

Again, thanks all. We'll see what happens in July. I like to plan my trips well in advance, as you can tell.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We did it last year in a 36 foot gasser pulling a Honda accord wagon on a master tow dolly with electric brakes, I was able to pull 36 mph going up and was able to come down the grades using engine braking in tow haul mode in a lower gear using very little brake and keeping rpm below 3400. Just take your time and let the truck do the work, start slow, stay slow and you'll be fine.
Enjoy your trip.
Mrfix