Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wyoming Route 189 question

Can anyone tell me what the road is like between Jackson Wy and Rawlins WY on route 189 and then on to Doniphan NE. I'm driving a 40' DP with a flat-4-down toad. Curious about the grades and expected drive time in a MH. I'm very comfortable in mountain driving in my SUV, but I don't have a whole lot of experience on two lane roads with 6-8% grades.

Is there a good website or app to research grades and such?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First, US 189 doesn't connect Jackson and Rawlings, US 287 does. If you follow US 189 from Jackson, you'll go SW to Kemmerer and eventually I-80 not too far from the Utah border. US 191 takes you south to Rock Springs, still far to the west of Rawlings.

If you travel Jackson to Rock Springs, US 191 is not a bad road, two wide lane hwy with a wide berm for most of the drive. There are grades along the way, but most have passing lanes so you don't hold up traffic. Just pay attention to your temperature gauge, if it starts to climb, downshift and let engine cool down.
From Jackson, head south on US 26/89/189/191/287 (!) At Hobart Junction take US 189/191 East along the Hobart River. At Daniel Junction, stay on US 191 to Rock Springs an I-80.

I prefer leaving Jackson/Grand Teton by way of US E 26/287, going over Togwottee Pass, through Dubois, stay on US 287 to Lander, and Rawlings. You'll pass Split Rock, a famous spot on the Oregon Trail and Pony Express route.

All these roads are very doable in an RV, wide lanes and berm, no narrow, twisting roads to give an RVer heartburn.

One source of information is Google Earth. On this you can select a section of highway and see a profile showing elevations. Another source is the Mountain Directory, a 'trucker's bible' of highways and their grades:

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/mtnshop/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

From Jackson take 191 to Rock Springs or 287 to Rawlins. Purchase the above-mentioned 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. We used it all the time.

None of the 3 routes have any serious grades. The only one mentioned in the Mountain Directory is on 287 at Togowotee Pass - westbound 6% for 17 miles - not steady but with rolling hills. Eastbound 2-6% downhill. These are not real serious grades.

We've done 287 and 191 many times.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with both post above. Very doable highways with very open plains and not much traffic to speak of really. I made this trip via hwy 287 with the family July 2014 from Yellowstone to Rawlins. Boon-docked at a lot next to McDonald's in Rawlings for free since I couldn't locate the RVParky campground listed. It's the only stretch of hwy I felt comfortable enough to let the wife try her motor home driving skills due to such a low amount of traffic. (I think she actually drove the rig better than I did but that's our secret since she never visits IRV2 ; )
You can then take I80 East most of the way to Doniphan if you don't mind wind and truck traffic.
May be worth going North out of Jackson Hole to catch 287 at that point if you want to see some beautiful country through Wind River Reservation. Just don't stop for the night in WRR as it has become rough area due to failing economy.
Nothing to see from Jackson Hole to Rock Springs. I lived in Rock Springs for 4 years and not much for tourism there.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From Jackson take 191 to Rock Springs or 287 to Rawlins. Purchase the above-mentioned 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. We used it all the time.

None of the 3 routes have any serious grades. The only one mentioned in the Mountain Directory is on 287 at Togowotee Pass - westbound 6% for 17 miles - not steady but with rolling hills. Eastbound 2-6% downhill. These are not real serious grades.

We've done 287 and 191 many times.
Your directions are a bit fuzzy because of the way the roads overlap each other in the limited paths through the mountains. In Jackson, if you go out of town on W US 26 which is also S US 191, you'll come to a junction with E WY 22 to Wilson -- and Teton Pass. Don't go that way, Teton Pass has 10% grades up and down the pass.

To get to US 287, from Jackson you must go E on US 26/191/89 to Moran Junction where S US 287 joins in and heads E over Togwotee Pass. This pass used to be closed 4 months a year, but in the past decade the WDOT crews have widened it, removed some curves and made it a much better road that is open year round.

If you continue on E US 26/287/191, you can stay on US 26 and continue on to Casper and I-25 S to Cheyenne and the NE border. No great grades, hills with passing lanes is about it. If you split off and go by way of US 289 to Rawlins and I-80, you will cross Sherman Summit in the Laramie Mtns, at 8,640' the highest point on I-80 coast to coast.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

There's no reason to even get on WY22 to Wilson (Teton Pass) - that's heading west.

The OP wants to head east to Rawlins and he can do so by taking 287 or 191 to Rock Springs and east on I-80 to Rawlins.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I mentioned WY 22 for a couple of reasons, one to show what side of town you'd be on to follow US 189/26/191 and the other to point out that while WY 22 looks like a 'quick' route to Idaho Falls and I-15, it's quite a chore for RVs.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone !
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote