Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

Wyoming to Asheville, NC

Planning a trip in July/August from CA to Asheville, NC. Driving a 39' DP w/dingy. Wife has MS so heat is a major concern.

We are starting out by heading North to Mammoth, Boise, and then Yellowstone. Not sure of the best way to complete the East bound trip. I was thinking the next leg might be either down to Fort Collins, CO or across to Mt. Rushmore. Then???

I am good to drive about 9-hrs a day and do not mnd sleeping at a rest stop or Walmart or ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
That time of year, it's going to be hot and sticky from Miami to Minnesota. Just SLIGHTLY less so up north. I would go as far east as you can before heading south, but either way it's probably going to be unpleasant, if you're not used to hot, humid weather. That said, elevation is your friend - Asheville, being where it is, may be bearable more so that an inland area like St Louis or Chicago. Any idea what kind of routes you want to take? Interstate? State highways? Lots of stops or "let's get the heck on the road!" ?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

We are thinking of moving to Asheville. We were there at its best, last Fall. Now want to see its worst, Summer(humidity???). The goal is to get there but my wife is disabled and I am the only driver so a day off here or there would be nice to take in the sights. As far as the heat goes, we can drive through the hot flatland's but I am mostly concerned with nightly rest stops. I don't want to have to run the gen/AC at a rest stop. What do you suggest for a Northern/cooler route then drop down to NC?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Just look at Google Maps, MapQuest, or Bing Maps --
If traveling on the Interstates from Yellowstone you could go straight over to Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Columbus, Zanesville, then take I 77 South, pick up I 81 South to 26 S right into Asheville. If heat is a concern opt for inexpensive RV parks so you have electric to operate the A/C at night. Best to you and safe travels!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Might want to consider dropping south to I-40 then straight east -- that way you would avoid the worst of the humidity until you get to OKC. Unless you are way north, you are going to hit humid weather at least by Minnesota, then the south run as well as the rest of the east run are going to be sticky. Try to put as many of your miles in the west as possible, the dryer weather makes it more bearable at night. We will be leaving Amarillo, going to Asheville and points beyond, on the 2nd of August and not looking forward to the heat and humidity.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

FWIW, you will pay tolls to you take the 70 across Kansas, and there's very little to distinguish it from the 80, which is toll-free. Not to mention that to get to the 70 you will have to either time it well to avoid downtown Denver traffic, or pay the e-470 toll.

In short, out of the four choices: 90/80/70/40, the 70 would be the worst choice.

I haven't done the 90, but I have been to Mt. Rushmore, and while it's neat, it's really a 2 hour deal you see and then move along.

In Cheyenne, just south of town at mile marker 4 (I think -- town itself is at MM9) there's a rest area with a dump station. And fairly decent fuel prices.

Steve
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

rickinama, we did the 40 last fall. Not sure if we will be in Asheville by Aug, 2 but it should be close.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

SteveLevin, Thanks for the info. I had no idea that I70 was a toll road. We have crossed the Rockies on it but nothing further East. I think I will stay on I80. Cheyenne was a possible rest stop. Any suggestions from Cheyenne across the Plains?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will enjoy living in NC. Moved from the OC to NC two years ago and really like it here. Been to Asheville a couple of times. The highest peak east of the Mississippi is Mt. Mitchell in NC at 6800' thats a foothill in CA.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

We will be going to Ashville the first week of Aug. We are leaving from Ohio and thought about route 23 out of Columbus. Anyone ever traveled this stretch of road?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9crazy5 View Post
SteveLevin, Thanks for the info. I had no idea that I70 was a toll road. We have crossed the Rockies on it but nothing further East. I think I will stay on I80. Cheyenne was a possible rest stop. Any suggestions from Cheyenne across the Plains?
Yes, I-70 from Topeka to (roughly) Kansas City is a toll, and then the e-470 around Denver (if you go to avoid traffic).

There were a few nice rest areas on the 80 east of Cheyenne, but I don't recall exactly where. We only went that a few times (as compared to Cheyenne to the Bay Area, where we really know the 80).

There's also a KOA in Cheyenne that's easy access for a quick overnight, but me, I'd just use the rest area; because of all the truck stops there I've never seen it packed with trucks and it has the dump and water station as I mentioned. It's only a 5 mile detour if you are driving 25 to 80. I don't know if the new Walmart in Cheyenne (College Rd offramp from the 80) is open yet... we moved back in January this year and it was well on the way to being completed.

Steve
Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #12

I think i have it mapped out. What do you think?

From Yellowstone, I90-87-90 to Spearfish, SD. I90-29 to Nebraska City, NE. I29-70-64-57-24 to Grand River, KY. I24-80 to Aheville.

How are these roads for DP with toad? Anything of interest, other than the largest ball of thread. Other suggestions?

Thanks