Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Yellowstone?

We are in Glacier NP, returning from 2 months in Alaska. Wondering what to expect for crowds in Yellowstone at this time. We have no reservations. Would Mt Rushmore be a better option to avoid crowds, traffic etc? Unfortunately, we never had time to actually plan this adventure due to family illness so everything has been "off the cuff" so to speak. But working out well. Thanks.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We were at Yellowstone in late August 2 years ago and the crowds were not too bad. We stayed at Fish Creek and I would highly recommend calling ahead for reservations. Very tight spaces at Fish Creek, but a good central location.

The Rushmore area is also a great choice and probably not as crowded. Lots of places to stay around Custer City.

How is Glacier with all the fires? We are headed in that general direction from Georgia.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

West Yellowstone, grizzly RV Park, South side of town .
Is in town good park plenty of room. We were there for a week the middle of July.
I would call for availability.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yNP and GTNP experiencing record visitors this year--up 17%. Cheap gas is the reason--a dollar cheaper than a year ago. I work in GTNP. Today is first day I noticed a slow down. Guess families are getting off vacation and ready for kids to head back to school. Best to get a res or arrive at CG early in the day.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Another option to consider would be some of the campgrounds on the eastern side of Yellowstone, in the Cody area. We've only been to Cody in the winter (and Yellowstone in winter in something is a totally different and wonderful experience), but I understand in the summer there's lots going on there.

To me, the issue with Mt. Rushmore is that it's a single location that you see in a couple of hours at most... then you can move on to the Badlands, I suppose, but it's not comparable to Yellowstone in my opinion.

Steve
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
We were at Yellowstone in late August 2 years ago and the crowds were not too bad. We stayed at Fish Creek and I would highly recommend calling ahead for reservations. Very tight spaces at Fish Creek, but a good central location.

The Rushmore area is also a great choice and probably not as crowded. Lots of places to stay around Custer City.

How is Glacier with all the fires? We are headed in that general direction from Georgia.

We are in East Glacier and have seen no signs of fire. All roads are open. You should have no problems.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

We visited Yellowstone from Cody. The parks in Cody (where we stayed) are just a parking place. There were several campgrounds on the road between Cody and Yellowstone, including state park camping on the lake, that look much more attractive.

FWIW, we loved Cody too. The Buffalo Bill Museum is terrific! There is also a Cowboy Music Review in the old theater across from the Irma Hotel. We liked that so much the first time we went back.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Are you going to be in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Park at another time? If not, while you're in the area I would certainly spend some time there.

Grand Teton has two campgrounds with 300 sites each that don't even accept reservations. You will have no problem getting into one of those. We like Gros Ventre and Colter Bay is the other one. There's also Colter Bay RV - right next to the dry campground but you'd need reservations for that one.

Family vacations typically diminish toward the end of August in preparation for school. In fact, many schools in the West have already begun the first week in August. I'd say your chances are good in getting a site in or around the parks.

You said you haven't really planned your two-month Alaskan trip and it's been going well. There you have it. No planning is not all bad!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Another option to consider would be some of the campgrounds on the eastern side of Yellowstone, in the Cody area. We've only been to Cody in the winter (and Yellowstone in winter in something is a totally different and wonderful experience), but I understand in the summer there's lots going on there.

To me, the issue with Mt. Rushmore is that it's a single location that you see in a couple of hours at most... then you can move on to the Badlands, I suppose, but it's not comparable to Yellowstone in my opinion.

Steve
There's more to see in the area besides Mt. Rushmore (the night lighting of the sculpture is a great program). There's also Deadwood, where you can visit the historic town and the cemetery where Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane are buried. There's also the 1880 steam train. (Great ride!) The Crazyhorse sculture and other things.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yellowstone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
We are in Glacier NP, ......Wondering what to expect for crowds in Yellowstone at this time. We have no reservations. Would Mt Rushmore be a better option........

Hi Gladie.... We visited both Glacier and Yellowstone (Grizzly, West Yellowstone) around Labor Day last year, and had no crowd difficulty at all. We were headed east, and also stopped at Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, and visited the Badlands again. No crowds anywhere. Once the kids are back in school-- 3rd - 4th week August-- summer is officially over!!

Enjoy!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We did the drive (only) through Yellowstone day before yesterday. In via Cody and West Gate, out North Gate. Summer crush is over. Do not drive Norris to North Gate, road is under construction--12 miles of dirt and take turn one way traffic. They gave no warning at the East Gate!
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

A little late but thank you all for the responses. After time in Jasper, Banff and Glacier and 2 months in Alaska, we were ready to go home to New England. We did go to the Black Hills area and visited all there was there to see. We stopped in Lancaster Pennsylvania Dutch country for our last stop. Have been home one week and headed out soon for a week at the ocean.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We'll be in Jackson today for a couple of days visiting with friends, then we'll head north to see the Tetons and Yellowstone. Not sure where we'll stay there yet but hopefully something will look good and be available. Then we're of to South Dakota.