Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Yellowstone and Beyond - NW to the Ocean Question

We've now been in Yellowstone - Grizzly RV Park - and the weather has turned... Uncomfortable. So, it's time for new direction(s).

Our plan for tomorrow morning (8/21) is to head through town - I believe on Hwy 287 - Northish through some scenic territory and then connect with Hwy 90 just North of Butte, MT. Then continue on 90 West toward the Pacific. Finally south on Hwy 101 and Hwy 1, when available (San Diego is where we call home - for now) .

My question: For those of you who have traveled a similar route, any suggestions of places to visit along the way? Or other routes to pursue?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Soap Lake, just north of I-90 in central WA #17 . With maybe a day trip to the Dry Falls and Grand Coulee Dam . Dramatic change of scenery from Yellowstone.
Or , O'Sullivan's on the Potholes Reservoir on 262 just south of I-90
In Idaho, Farragut S.P, on Lake Pend Oreille, north of I-90 on #95

Old 08-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

The Oregon coast is nice. We like Cannon Beach rv park and Honeyman State park in Florence.
Csillybug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I prefer 191 out of West Yellowstone. The weather across I-90 can be hot and hotter this time of the year. Our rule of thumb is, stay on the coast if you want cool weather. We summer on the Olympic Peninsula. 70 degrees was the high today.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I prefer 191 out of West Yellowstone.

Fred
Viewing a Google map, 190 appears to be mountain roads - lots of climbing -while 90 is flatter and still picturesque.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

If you are into historical stuff ... there are lots of Lewis and Clark sites along the way on I-84 ... in particular Multnomah Falls east of Portland ... "Oh the Joy, the ocean is in view" near Astoria

Crater Lake and Winchester Bay are other spots in Oregon that I thought were particularly noteworthy.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #7

Any suggestion for a campground in Seattle, WA if we want to spend time seeing the sites of this city?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

Well the stats are in:
1. Three BEAUTIFUL weeks
2. 3,141.92 miles
3. Four new states for us
4. Only two arguments with DW
5. Two very tired puppies

Generally we did:
1. Two days dead-heading to Yellowstone
2. Five days in Yellowstone - Like two crazed kids set free, we played toward enjoying as much as we could before the rains came. Lots of truly wild and magnificent object of nature
3. Hwy 90 NW through some very powerful looking country
4. Various Forts along the way
5. Leavenworth, WA - Fun but noise little Bavarian town waaaaay up in the mountains to include black bear sighting near our camp site!!!!
6. Seattle, WA and all of the touristy things including items such as the Space Needle, Music Historical Museum, Tram ride to Public Market - scenes from "You've Got Mail" and its notorious used chewing gum wall, lots of waterfalls and a ferry ride from the Olympic Peninsula - to include a delicious ice cream cone at the port, floating houses, +, +, +
7. Newport, OR in the very beautiful cold and rain and all of its colorful muraled building walls and a bowl of Mo's Clam and Shrimp Chowder
8. Silver Falls State Park with its Walk of Ten Waterfalls
9. Port of Bandon at the sea, watching the result of the Salmon runs as successful fisher-persons cleaned their prizes, a taste of Pirates Corn, beautiful wood carving at the pear's edge, and to top that off a sighting of Big Foot in a local shopping mall. Very friendly town; very unfriendly constipal
10. Lots of local lighthouses
11. An absolutely incredible find (if you're into uncluttered beaches, driftwood and simply magnificent scenery), Humbug Mountain State Park

And, last but in no way least - as most of us gentleman will agree - One very tired but happy wife.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Just For Fun,
When we are in/around Seattle we like Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell. It is a little ways off of I-405 on the north end of Seattle. It is convenient to get around everything and is quiet and very clean.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
Just For Fun,
When we are in/around Seattle we like Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell. It is a little ways off of I-405 on the north end of Seattle. It is convenient to get around everything and is quiet and very clean.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
While visiting Seattle, we stayed - and really enjoyed - Blue Sky RV Park about 20 minutes East off at Exit 22 - 9002 302nd Ave SE, Issaquah, WA 98027. Super friendly and super clean.

The one you want to stay away from is Trailers Inn RV Park in Bellevue, WA. What a disgusting dump!!!! They won't even include a picture of their park in their website. We found out why when we visited.