Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
yellowstone

If one is going to do Yellowstone , do it right it should take 3 days and 1 in teton park.If you don't get out of the car or coach you will see less than 1%!!!If you are just going to drive through you didn't DO Yellowstone. Keep this web site handy destinationyellowstone.com (chamber) for west yellowstone - updated daily for road construction weather ect. Avoid 22 west out of jackson 8% up and down go south to hoback junction than west idaho falls ect.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Stayed 12 days at Cody and saw Yellowstone 3 time's and Cody stuff two days,Jackson Hole and drove over Teton pass Ford Explorer,Chief Joseph Park Way and trip Red Town and still didn't see all.I would say go to Ca.next year.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the consensus.... your plans and timeline are too ambitious. We have visited Yellowstone before. We are in Buffalo, WY now and drove route 16 over to Ten Sleep yesterday in the car. It is a good road but, fact is, while these roads are beautiful, you don't get anywhere fast on most of them. From here we are heading West to Oregon and I am not driving thru Yellowstone (it is more direct if you look at a map) because of the mountain driving and the certain traffic jams in the park.

We are on our third motorhome and I've learned that when a mapping program or GPS tells you it will take 3 hours to get somewhere, that translates to 4 or more hours in a motorhome.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #18

I have done many trips like you have planned. Some with my kids years ago. Even some with grand kids recently. Time constraints are what they are. To drive thru Yellowstone will be special. Due it your way and enjoy. Some day you can go back and spend a little more time at each place. Enjoy your trip

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I drive hard 7am to 10 pm with stops for fuel and food. I do 500+ miles a day sometimes 600, and it still took me 3 and a half days from LI NY to Cody Wyoming.
We stayed overnight in the Walmart in Cody. When we pulled in there were 2 other campers, by the next morning there were about 20.

The drive into Yellowstone via the east entrance is a good climb. I have a 35' MH and it was a slow climb. At to first place I could pull over I unhitched my jeep and let my daughter drive that behind us which made it much easier on the MH.

I assume that you will leave your MH at the fishing Bridge campground and take your car on the grand loop. The north section of the grand loop is not large vehicle friendly. There is a small tunnel on the east side and some tight turns on the west side. The drive from fishing bridge to the Tetons is no issue for a MH mostly down hill.

It is a great trip we have done it twice and want to go again next year. The first time we camped outside the east entrance but that was time consuming driving in and out (about an hour each way) every day. The second we stayed at fishing bridge and liked it much more as you can spend more time in the park.

Fuel is expensive in the park so top off before you enter.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #20

Yellowstone Drive Through Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
Our mission is to get to the west coast. The Yellowstone thing is just a drive thru.
It's not about the quantity but the quality of time we are spending together.

2 weeks. 16 days including the extra weekend. About 6200 miles. To make Gilroy by Thursday you need well over 600 miles per day!

I am exhausted by just the thought.
I look forward to a trip report.

Best Wishes and Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Try the below web site.

WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie)
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #22

Whatever time you think that you will need to see Y’stone NP you better double it!

Remember that Y’stone Park itself is about 50 miles E/W and 70 miles N/S (2.2 Mil Acres) and the Grand Loop (figure 8) road is about 140 miles around. With a 45mph speed limit (radar controlled) and all the thermal attractions and the altitude (Canyon Area is 7918 ft, Old Faithful is 7365 ft and Mammoth Area is ONLY? 6239 ft) it will take a full day for each loop, when walking take it easy, carry/drink lots of water as it can be very exhausting, then you will only see the highlights. If your luck is like mine I guarantee that Old Faithful will have gone off just minutes before you arrived and will have to wait about another hour and 10-15 minutes for it to go off again kill time by walking around the upper geyser basin. When you are at Old faithful be sure to go into the Old Faithful Inn and look up when inside. When in the visitor center or the Inn they will have a sign displaying approximately when the next eruption will occur (+ or – about 10/15 minutes)

We have lived about 110 miles from the West Y’stone entrance for 50 years and go there a couple of times each summer and I still haven’t seen everything yet.

Teton Pass is between Jackson, WY (WY 22) and Victor, ID (ID 31) It is 10% up/down for 5 miles each way!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In California you can stay 8 hours in the roadside rest stops.

Several of them have dump stations.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #24

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything." ~Charles Kuralt
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything." ~Charles Kuralt
That quote, I like. Miss those 'On the Road' reports with Charles.

OP: Sounds like a 'snapshot' trip to me...go for it and enjoy!

We stayed in Wapiti(between Cody and the east entrance to the park... quite scenic). When we moved on, we drove hooked up through YS and on down into Teton NP...a little twisty in sections, but we had no problems and even found a park campsite...no hookups, but inside the park. Safe travels.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #26

If you take 16 out of Custer, there is a tremendous amount of road construction going on right now. Worst we have ever been through . . . . I mean for miles there is "NO" road . . .