Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Planning to do Yellowstone after the FMCA rally June 19 - 22, 2013 in Gillette, WY. Would you recommend overnighting in Cody and then drive through YS in a day to get to Grizzly RV Park, MT. I'm 42' plus tow so my thought is to stay outside the park near the W entrance and drive in daily. BTW, I haven't made reservations yet.
Any help would be appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post
We're doing Yellowstone mid-September... and haven't yet decided where to stay. Where (and why) did you choose?
We've made reservations at the Fishing Bridge Camp Site inside Yellowstone Park. We wanted to stay inside the park...even though I anticipate a lot of delays driving through Yellowstone, we think that camping inside the park will be worth the PIA of driving through the park in a RV. No tent camping is allowed at Fishing Bridge, it is limited to hard-sided RV camping.

At Grand Teton we are staying at the Colter RV Park Village which overlooks Jackson Lake.

We never been to the area, so we are shooting craps with the choices we've made. We're hoping for a couple of good locations...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does anyone know if the Fishing Bridge site can handle big rigs? I have not had good experiences in State and National Parks with narrow roads and small stalls. My last experience at the Russian River, AK ended up costing me about $500 to buff out all the scratches from tree branches.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp8284 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer in our 40' DP. We are considering a stay at Jackson for the Grand Tetons then through the south entrance to W. Yellowstone for camping. Some say the roads are okay for a big rig, others say they are narrow and windy. Steep grades aren't a problem, but I'm VERY ALLERGIC to cliff hangers.

Please give me your opinions on traveling through the park from the south to the west entrance.

US 191 from Jackson to W. Yellowstone is no problem for our 37 Footer towing an SUV. There is about 5 miles where you would want to slow down to 30 mph if you were heading the other direction, but no problem going north. Engine power drops off at the higher altitudes, but it's a road that you don't want to speed on anyway.

We stayed at the KOA in W. Yellowstone. Pricey, but very nice.

Snow in June is not out of the question:

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and went into the park by toad, We went to several Campgrounds on the inside of the park with Madison CG being one of the better ones, I don't think there was hookups except for workers, We drove around West Yellowstone Looking at other RV parks, we didn't see any that caught our eye. IMOP... I don't know if I would want to tour Yellowstone in an MH I don't think it would be much fun, but then again it is my opinion. If you go to Trip Advisor you can see all the good reviews for Grizzly RV park When we left the park we stayed 2 nights in Cody wish we would have stayed more there is so much to see we never even made it to the Buffalo Bill Museum.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
We went 2 years ago and it was on the east side of the grand loop. North east corner I think. Looking in the right mirror all I saw was river and yes it was very high. My wife is not a fan of heights. After that I was not allowed to take that road.
Thanks for the response. I've read enough to know to stay away from the east loop.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp8284 View Post
Thanks for the response. I've read enough to know to stay away from the east loop.
Thanks for the thread, I have gained enough information that I too will avoid some areas, I have rerouted our trip from West Yellowstone, MT to Jackson, WY based on responses to your thread...
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've worked and explored around the 'Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem' for 20 summers. The roads in Yellowstone have been greatly improved in most areas in that time. Tour Buses navigate the parks all the time. You will have some high cliffs overlooking the Snake River Canyon after entering the park from the south, but there are pull-outs and the MAXIMUM speed limit is only 45 mph. Dunraven Pass road has been greatly improved, but it is a mountainous road over the flank of Mt. Washburn, the highest point in the park. Leaving and entering the park by the west (West Yellowstone), east (Cody), or north (Gardener) entrance are the least 'scary' -- but all spectacular. Don't try the NE entrance through Cook City, MT, and the Beartooth Mtns. That road is definitely only for smaller vehicles, but worth the trip if you have one.

I would avoid Teton Pass on WY 22 west of Jackson. It has grades up to 10% and is very hard on RVs. Coming east on the pass there are no runaway pull outs unless you cross the uphill lane on the left!

South of Jackson, turning east at Hoback Junction is O.K., but to continue south on US 89 US 26 is pretty twisty with canyons along the Snake River.

Check the web sites for Wyoming Dept. of Transportation for road construction, they can be a major headache, often delays of an hour or more common in and around the area east on US 26 between Moran Junction and Dubois.

Wyoming Department of Transportation

Yellowstone construction also causes delays, check here:

Seasonal Closures and Road Construction Delays - Yellowstone National Park

The road between Grand Teton and Yellowstone (J.D. Rockefeller Parkway) has also been under construction for a few years, it also can have up to hour delays.
How about HWY 191 from Jackson south to Rock Springs? Any big cliff hangers along that route?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #23

I second what another poster said about the Teton Pass. Crossing that in a Class A is the closest I've come to dying.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
US 191 isn't too bad from Hoback Junction to Rock Springs. The road through the mountains SE of Hoback is 2 lane with wide berms and the occasional passing lane on hills.

Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup CG in YNP and it was built before the 'big rigs.' They are all back in sites and are limited to 40'. Campgrounds in Yellowstone - Yellowstone National Park

Cody is a good place to stop on the east side, the Buffalo Bill Historical Center is 5 museums in one and worth a visit. Cody also has daily rodeos if you've never experienced one.

Thermopolis is also a neat area east of YNP, hot springs to soak in, extinct geyser cones, and a great Dinosaur Museum.

I wouldn't avoid the east side of the great loop road in YNP, it has Canyon, Tower Falls, Roosevelt and Lamar Valley, 'the Serengeti of Yellowstone.' Lamar Valley is the best place to spot wolves, elk, eagles, grizzly, etc.

The few miles on the northwest side of the great loop between Bunsen Peak and Mammoth Hot Springs are some of the more scenic but twisty roads as you go through the 'HooDoos' Inside Yellowstone - The Hoodoos - Yellowstone National Park

One of the easiest routes in and out of YNP and the Tetons is US 26 US 289 from Moran Junction through Dubois, WY. Stop in Dubois at the Cowboy Cafe, great food and pie! My name is branded on a plank in the wood sidewalk across the street from the cafe. South through the Shoshone reservation to Lander and then on south to Rawlins has hills, but the only mountain pass is after Moran Jct. Towotee Pass is one of the easiest accesses to the Yellowstone/Teton highlands. It was the original stage coach routes into the region. You could also stay on US 26 and go through Riverton, but it does have some scenic canyons in the Wind River Canyon area. It does then settle down all the way to Casper and I -25.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled our Jetta wagon behind our 40' Coach all around Yellowstone last Summer. East entrance, North Entrance, South Entrance. No problem. Any roads we went down that weren't rated for Motorhomes had pullouts and turnarounds before, or at the posting. The roads are narrow and steep, but traffic is slow since everybody is sightseeing and/or unfamiliar with the road. We had no impatient tailgaters the whole time. If you can bring a Towed vehicle, you can leave the rig parked at the camp and save a lot of fuel cruising up and down those mountains.

We had a great time and can't wait to go back, but make your reservations on the day you are eligible (6 months before, I think?). we had to move campgrounds more than we wanted to due to lack of available sights. Some of the best campgrounds don;t accept reservations. Drop someone off at 6:00 AM to get in line for a spot. Once you are registered, you can go for a hike!