Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #1

Yellowstone NOW... anyone?

We're in Jackson Hole WY this morning and heading to Yellowstone park. We never dreamed it would be so cold here this time in May. We planned to spend several days at YNP but now I think we'll make it a day trip. Anyone ever in this area of WY in May? How are the roads and are they very steep and dangerous? We have no chains or snow-tires. We'll be HERE at Jackson for another few hours so I await replies. TIA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been there a few times. I don't think you can rely on warmer weather until much later - probably June or July. You can have cool days even then but I don't think it is at all unusual to have snow in May. I could be wrong but don't think so. We were always in that area much later - like July or August.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
May is not a good time to visit YNP. Warmer weather is possible in the middle of June normally but not guaranteed. The only advice I would offer, being a life long resident living between YNP and Glacier, is plan your visit for later in the year and stay out of the Beartooth Mountains in your rig. The altitude and geographical location of YNP and Glacier dictates bad weather is a possibility any time of year so plan accordingly.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are cold here in Arkansas!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #5

Turn the heater on-you'll be ok.No crowds now and its really not that cold-chilly!Love this time of year!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

When I was at Yellowstone, I picked up the newspaper from West Yellowstone (small town just West of Yellowstone Park). They had a section listing the average snowfall by month. Every month except July (or August; I don't remember which) had at least one inch ! July (or August) was listed as "Trace". It can snow anytime that far up North.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

Stick with it. Western weather reports show things are going to warm dramatically in the next few days.

There's a saying out here in the Mountain States, "If you don't like the weather wait a few hours."
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #8

Bigskybob said it. We had planned to stay a week in Yellowstone in 2012, enroute to Alaska the first week of June. Had to cancel that because the entire park was closed by snowfall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's not that it's north so much as it's 5000'. Bug this time of year is magic, New borns everywhere.

LEN
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #10

Well, it may be cold but it's a great time to visit, no crowds. We spent 3 summers 30 miles west of Bozeman volunteering at a state park. We arrived on May 1 and usually had to fight a snowstorm getting over the Bozeman pass. All of May was usually cold, rainy and sleeting. No mosquitos yet either!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. It was cold in the Park but we bundled up and had the heat on. Only one road was closed. There was snow everywhere. What a breathtaking place. We enterd at the south gate, and after seeing what we wanted to see, we left by the east gate and went through some wildlife refuges that were every bit as beautiful as the Park itself. We're now in Cody WY at a nice CG outside the parks/reserves. We both came down with horrible colds so we're staying over a day or two to recuperate and relax.

As for animals. There didn't seem to be anywhere near the number I saw the last time I was at YNP back in 1977 or 78. They were in small numbers and widely scattered.

At our ages we may not make it back here again, so decided to see the Park and reserves anyway. The Grand Tetons were also something we'll never forget.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
We were staying in West Yellowstone near the end of September a couple of years ago. While walking the dog, I noticed a work crew covering the doors and windows of the Kamping Kabins with plywood. I asked Why ? Was told " the weather". Weather says I ? "Snow" he said, and said "this high" , and reached up and touched the gutter about seven feet above the ground. " And the forecast is for it snow the end of the week" We left dodge the following day!
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We're in Jackson Hole WY this morning and heading to Yellowstone park. We never dreamed it would be so cold here this time in May. We planned to spend several days at YNP but now I think we'll make it a day trip. Anyone ever in this area of WY in May? How are the roads and are they very steep and dangerous? We have no chains or snow-tires. We'll be HERE at Jackson for another few hours so I await replies. TIA.
We normally get our last frost at the end of May at the 5000 ft level in Cody. Farmers don't plant beans until June 1. Much colder up there in Yellowstone. I don't think the weather has been much different this year.

As far as roads, I would just be careful of roads in shady areas where moisture has been on the road. May thaw during the day but freezes at night and can be dangerous. The park normally opens about mid May and roads are pretty clear.

There is a web site you can check road conditions.
WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie)
Or call the 511 number. WY keeps pretty much up to date on their road conditions.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote