Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yellowstone Route Question

Destination will be West Yellowstone with arrival June 11.

I intend to be leaving from Craters of the Moon, or there about, and kicking around the idea of going through Jackson and up to West Yellowstone.

My question is it worth the extra time, fuel and miles? I figure with the extra miles and going through the park I'm going to want to overnight some place near Alpine or Jackson. Thought about Colter Bay but had sticker shock.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best route is from the Northeast on Beartooth Highway.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

From Craters of the Moon continue east to Idaho Falls and take Hwy 20 to West Yellowstone.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #4

I think going to Yellowstone and skipping Grand Teton Nat'l Park would be tragic! As long as you're there you really need to do both. Staying IN the parks themselves is the best way to experience the parks. For Grand Teton we love staying at Gros Ventre campground (dry camping & no reservations accepted; however, there are 300 sites & we've always gotten a site.) There is also Colter Bay campground - 300 unreservable sites. It's next to the full hookup Colter Bay.

For Yellowstone, Madison campground is nicely located.

I'd suggest going to Yellowstone first. Then you can get to Grand Teton by driving through Yellowstone's south exit & you'll get to the Teton campgrounds early in the day assuring a nice site in the non-reservable campgrounds.

From Craters of the Moon take 20 east to Idaho Falls then north on 20 to West Yellowstone.

If planning to go to Jackson first & then into Grand Teton Nat'l Park; definitely don't take a shortcut of Hwy 22 from Victor, ID to Jackson. It's extremely steep. Take 26 out of Idaho Falls to Alpine then north to Jackson. It's a nice easy drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
From Craters of the Moon continue east to Idaho Falls and take Hwy 20 to West Yellowstone.
I hope TXTiger is joking. Beartooth pass is not for the faint of heart nor the novice. Approach it with caution. Of course...it is spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies
Note that Madison is dry camping and reservations are a must and sometimes difficult to get.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think going to Yellowstone and skipping Grand Teton Nat'l Park would be tragic! As long as you're there you really need to do both. Staying IN the parks themselves is the best way to experience the parks. For Grand Teton we love staying at Gros Ventre campground (dry camping & no reservations accepted; however, there are 300 sites & we've always gotten a site.) There is also Colter Bay campground - 300 unreservable sites. It's next to the full hookup Colter Bay.

I'd suggest going to Yellowstone first. Then you can get to Grand Teton by driving through Yellowstone's south exit & you'll get to the Teton campgrounds early in the day assuring a nice site in the non-reservable campgrounds.

From Craters of the Moon take 20 east to Idaho Falls then north on 20 to West Yellowstone.

If planning to go to Jackson first & then into Grand Teton Nat'l Park; definitely don't take a shortcut of Hwy 22 from Victor, ID to Jackson. It's extremely steep. Take 26 out of Idaho Falls to Alpine then north to Jackson. It's a nice easy drive.
As is normally the Case you are Getting excellent advice above - I would just add that the option into Jackson from the South by going through Alpine is easy and beautiful. It would allow you to drive through Jackson and stay in Gros Venture on your way to Yellowstone with the Time/Visit to the Tetons on the way.

What ever and however you drive Do Not Miss the Tetons!

MAP - https://binged.it/37bidCw

The Best thing about most of the drives is that they just keep giving you Eye Candy - this will be a Great trip.

Best of Luck,

Few images to keep you excited;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons across the lake 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	267131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons across the lake.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	267132  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons with empty parking lot.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	267133  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

After having been to both Yellowstone and the Teton’s the advice to not miss the Teton’ is great advice and if we ever go back wont even bother with Yellowstone.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I hope TXTiger is joking. Beartooth pass is not for the faint of heart nor the novice. Approach it with caution. Of course...it is spectacular!

Note that Madison is dry camping and reservations are a must and sometimes difficult to get.
You won't be going near Beartooth Pass from Crater of the Moon in Idaho.

With our 40' motorhome we've pulled into Madison early morning and secured a spot without reservations. There are cancellations. If on a tight schedule though.... yes, get reservations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the ideas.

Never heard of Madison, sounded good. I was thinking using it for a base but couldn't get the dates I wanted.

I think I'll try Gros Ventre for a couple of days. It will give me time to see what changed in Jackson since the last time I was there was winter of 1991 and then head to West Yellowstone.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Just wanted to add a footnote about reservations..... your going to want them - everyplace around Yellowstone, Tetons, Alpine - all over. We went through there this summer and were surprised that even some of the further out places filled up. In Alpine of all places we had to dry camp a few nights.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hwy 20 from Idaho Falls to W Jellystone is a good drive. And, if you don't require full hookups, consider Bakers Hole Nat Forest C/G just a couple miles north of W-Y on 287. About half electric, half without!! No reservations taken, so need to get there in the am to score a spot. Lot of people in and out, so not so hard to get a site before 11 am. Also has a water fill area plus spigots throughout. Pretty quiet, some sites are near hwy so more noise. Easy access to park entrance and good spot to stay when exploring. Assuming you have a towed vehicle to explore.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, yellowstone