RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Smile Yellowstone to Moab

we are taking our first trip with our new 31foot Class C RV. We are planning a trip of Yellowstone,Moab,Bryce,Capital reef,Zion and the Grand Canyon. In need of some beginner type routes that arenít crazy. Leaving from Yellowstone to Moab. What are you recommendations on route keeping in mind this is my first trip.

kreshaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #2

Exit Yellowstone through the west exit (West Yellowstone). Highway 20 goes straight south to Idaho Falls and joins up with interstate 15 south. Follow that all the way through Salt Lake City and through Provo. In Spanish Fork near exit 260 take highway 6 east through Price to 70 east. Then turn south to Moab. Watch the speed going through Price on highway 6 as the police watch for anyone speeding.

bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford3454 View Post
Exit Yellowstone through the west exit (West Yellowstone). Highway 20 goes straight south to Idaho Falls and joins up with interstate 15 south. Follow that all the way through Salt Lake City and through Provo. In Spanish Fork near exit 260 take highway 6 east through Price to 70 east. Then turn south to Moab. Watch the speed going through Price on highway 6 as the police watch for anyone speeding.
Is it worth driving to Canyonland National Park?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

I would just take 191 the whole way.
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreshaus View Post
We are taking our first trip with our new 31foot Class C RV.

We are planning a trip of

Yellowstone,
Moab,
Bryce,
Capital Reef,
Zion and the
Grand Canyon.

In need of some beginner type routes that arenít crazy.

Leaving from Yellowstone to Moab.

What are you recommendations on route keeping in mind this is my first trip.
Hard to give you much info unless you give us a little more.
  1. Where will you be starting this Adventure from?
  2. When will you start this Adventure?
  3. How Long are we planning for this Adventure?
  4. Are you Hikers, Bikers, Lookers, Photographers or Doers?
  5. How have you normally traveled?
  6. Is there anyone else with you?
  7. What are your feelings on driving the New "C"

Just from the looks of things you have loaded your plate pretty FULL - You have left out the Tetons (South out of Yellowstone) - Jackson - Flaming Gorge - Dino NM - Colorado National Monument - All the Utah State Parks - Lake Powell - CanyonLands - North Rim - Slot Canyons - Monument Valley....................

Give us some more info and we might be able to point you in the Right Direction

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford3454 View Post
This would be the easiest.

However, by the time you'll be returning home you will have a lot more experience on hills and curves when you're driving around siteseeing that you really should take a scenic way home via the secondary highways. You'll see a lot more of this beautiful country rather than being on the interstates.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #7

We have 3 weeks and will be starting in Pa. Stopping at Moran. Entering Yellowstone is the southern entrance. Staying at Yellowstone for 3 days then head towards Moab. Taking in Arches and Canyonland each one day. From there going to Capital Reef one day. Next Bryce one day. Staying overnight. Zion for two days. Then to Grand Canyon. Staying at south Rim for a couple days. Lastly heading home stopping at 4 Points and staying over at Mesa Verde. Wow. Exhausting just writing that. Just trying to keep it as stress free as possible. Both my husband and I are driving. First trip. Leaving the most difficult to him. Lol. Hoping this is the first trip of many. Thanks Everyone!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
We have 3 weeks and will be starting in Pa.

Stopping at Moran. *1

Entering Yellowstone is the southern entrance. *2,3,4

Staying at Yellowstone for 3 days then head towards Moab. *5

Taking in Arches and Canyonland each one day. *6,7

From there going to Capital Reef one day. *8

Next Bryce one day. *9

Staying overnight. Zion for two days*10,11.

Then to Grand Canyon. *12

Staying at south Rim for a couple days. *13,14

Lastly heading home *15

stopping at 4 Points and *16

staying over at Mesa Verde.*17 Wow.

Exhausting just writing that. Could it be you have a NEW MODERN CALENDAR?

Just trying to keep it as stress free as possible.

Both my husband and I are driving.

First trip.

Leaving the most difficult to him. Lol.

Hoping this is the first trip of many.

Thanks Everyone!
I could do this in my twenties - but I'm sooooo much smarter now - - - Look this post over on a similar trip but in two weeks with just the Rockies - 2 week Western US trip in late June. - then on the next trip focus on the Southwest.

Lets see what we know now;
  1. Where will you be starting this Adventure from? Pennsylvania
  2. When will you start this Adventure? Time of year is critical in the desert Southwest - 100-115
    are not unheard of for daytime temperatures in the summer - so not a lot of FUN - If at all possible schedule this in the spring or late Fall on a later trip - Just might be Memorable

3. How Long are we planning for this Adventure?Three weeks - 23 days - But at least 8 days of just going and coming so think 15 DAYS if all goes as scheduled with NO issues
  4. Are you Hikers, Bikers, Lookers, Photographers or Doers?
  5. How have you normally traveled?
  6. Is there anyone else with you? Just the two of you.
  7. What are your feelings on driving the New "C" Both will drive.

I've tried to make this EASY - Good chance you are not going to Enjoy the trip - First time will have Issues - Issues will cause you PAIN - and will eat into the time - While the Trip Might be DOABLE - it is not likely to be FUN - JMHO

I am pleading with you to learn from the old fa*ts on the forum - "Slow Down Smell the Roses" - Make this a Fun Adventure - break it into smaller more connected Pieces - With the two weeks you will have out West I'd try to just do a Little of the Rockies - then Later - Possibly in the Fall. head back out for a little longer and enjoy the Southwest - cooler and just more Fun.

Can you do what you have planned - Sure but You have plans to do this Again - so let's make each trip a Great Memory.

Now I'm worn out just try to Slow you down, so Keep in touch let us know what else you need help on - there is so - soo - so Much you are missing - State Parks and Great Sites all along the Way.

I'll stop.

Best of Luck,
Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

I really think 3 weeks is not enough time. Can you add more? Staying one day in a national park really isn't experiencing it. You'll just be doing a drive through. Hope you can add more time!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
That would be at least a 6 weeks trip.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. It really makes me rethink this trip. So a new question ... If you had 3 weeks and Yellowstone is a must. What would your trip look like. We are leaving June 11 to July 4. What are you favorites that I could fit into this trip. Terri
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It really makes me rethink this trip. So a new question ... If you had 3 weeks and Yellowstone is a must. What would your trip look like. We are leaving June 11 to July 4. What are you favorites that I could fit into this trip. Terri
Not everyone has the time off and resources to be able to take this kind of trip over a protracted period of time. If you want to see the country and time is limited, then pushing a little bit might make sense. Likewise, not everyone has the stamina to put this many miles down in this short of a time frame. Obviously, only you can decide.

We have taken 4 trips out west since 2013... most of which were as many or more miles than your trip will likely be, and in a shorter time frame. We also live in PA. Keep in mind, I am a driving freak of nature. It might be my favorite thing to do.

2013 - Badlands of SD, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, 14 over the bighorns and across northern WY to the west entrance of Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Moab, Arches, Dead Horse Point, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Tucson, White sands, and then home. 6200 miles - 18 days.

2016 - Badlands of SD, past Devil's tower, up the Bighorn mountains on 14 and down 14A... then up to Red Lodge MT, up and over Beartooth pass, down to yellowstone and the Tetons... across Idaho and Oregon to the coast at Newport, down the coast and down the Avenue of the Giants, through Yosemite, and across the Mojave.... Tucson, up for a quick stop at the south rim of the grand canyon, and then home through southern CO (wolf creek pass). - 7500 miles in 25 days.

2017 - All over New Mexico, then to Tucson for a week, then north through salt river canyon, and home. 5500 miles (?) 18 days.

2018 - Badlands of SD, Custer State Park, Devil's Tower, 14A over the Bighorns, Beartooth Pass (both directions!), A few sights in Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Coulee Dam, Coulee Corridor, Mt. Ranier, Palouse Falls, Steptoe Butte, Craters of the Moon, and then back to PA. - 6800 miles all in 16 days.

2019 - The trip is not entirely planned for this year... and not entirely certain it will even happen... but hope to run another 6000 miles in 18 days - on the list is once again the drive over the bighorns, Beartooth Pass, and Colter Bay in Grand Teton national park... from there, we haven't decided yet. Possibly some new sights in Utah and Colorado.

Note that Bear Tooth Pass from Red Lodge MT into Yellowstone, and 14a over the Bighorns Mountains are not for everyone one driving an RV... The roads are steep and winding, but they are our family's absolute favorites. They might be some of the most scenic areas we've been to.

From Yellowstone to Moab, we took 150 in Utah - it's called the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway. It's not as scenic as the mountains in Wyoming and Montana, but it's a nice drive and nothing crazy. I believe it's the highest paved road in Utah at something like almost 11,000 feet.

Rt 12 in Utah to Bryce is nice... there is one section where the road runs right across the very top ridge of a mountain. You look to the left and there's a canyon, and you look to the right and again... a canyon. Bryce itself is just amazing.

No regrets on any of these trips. Yes, there were days where we put down A LOT of miles...

All for now. Good luck and have fun planning.

-cheers
Piker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

It really makes me rethink this trip.

So a new question ...

If you had 3 weeks and Yellowstone is a must.

What would your trip look like.

We are leaving June 11 to July 4.

What are you favorites that I could fit into this trip.

Terri
Terri,

Correct Yellowstone is a must.

From State College, PA YNP is 2,000 + miles with no stops. At 400 miles a day it would be 5 days - at 500 = 4 days - at 600 = 3.5 days of just driving.

So the point here is that in an RV your average (Actual Average Speed) tends to be closer to 50 Miles per Hour VS the 60 MPH you are used to in a car.

Nothing Is close - these are BIG Areas/States. Driving in the Mountains will often mean 25-30 MPH. Driving in a Park usually means 15-25 MPH. YNP may require 600 miles of Driving.

Three days in a Park will usually mean - Arriving the night before exhausted from the drive - Getting a late start as you sleep in (East Coast Time = -2 hours) on your first day - Second (2nd) Day really getting into the park/area with a hike or two, not just drive bye's - usually this day is one you say "I need a week" then - the Third day tour again but cutting the day short because you need to get back to Pack and get ready to Leave.

Point is 3 days is a tease - this Park, YNP is BIG no really BIG (Bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island Combined) So a week is needed - there are places and roads that need to be driven - Beartooth - Cody - Red Lodge - Chief Joseph - Wind River Canyon - Thermopolis Hot Springs - Tetons - Jackson ..................

Coming or Going the Black Hills are a requirement. (three days)

A little more of the Rockies are also Needed. (Think Colorado - JMHO)

A little of Utah, just a taste, might help for the return trip. (Moab or Dino NM)

So look at the Map - think a lot about the time in the Truck and the hours you are comfortable driving - make some hard decisions - then just Do It.

No Wrong choices,

Something Like this would be my Route - https://binged.it/2GG6SAh - some drive throughs some stops

Tags
yellowstone