Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Roads

I guess living in PA has made me adjust to bad roads..we seldom have a road here that does not have problems.

Wife is not crazy about driving the MH but we figure long stretches of straight road she will be fine..Pulling the 18 ft enclosed trailer behind us with Harleys inside makes her nervous.

Thank you for all the help everyone..we are going to do the Columbus, Indy route on our way to Sturgis..

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a life long Pennsylvania resident I know what you are saying. There were a few times in our trip west we thought we were back in PA again but mostly the roads were very good.
I like the long stretches of straight road with no one around that we have in the west. I wish we had gone west years ago.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
[SIZE=3]I guess living in PA has made me adjust to bad roads..we seldom have a road here that does not have problems.
No worries at all on I-80 in Pennsylvania, but plenty of them on PA Turnpike. Lots of curves, several places where speed goes to 55 MPH from 65, plenty of road always under construction, inability to shop price for fuel, no other choice but expensive and limited selection rest stops. I avoid the PA Turnpike if at all possible and use I-80 whenever I can to traverse our state.

Also, if you can't or don't want to go north so far to get onto I-80, how about I-68? Much better than PA Turnpike, no tolls and it will get you across Pennsylvania to link up with the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) which is much better (and cheaper) than PA Turnpike. And what about I-70? At York, you are not that far away, and taking it west would have you avoiding the Ohio Turnpike tolls too. Yes, you would have to go north on your travels to get to Sturgis, but you could do that in Indiana or Illinois, swing around Chicago and get to Sturgis having avoided the majority of the problems you are anticipating. If a little additional time and a bit of extra distance are not issues on your trip, these would be good choices for the way to go with minimal consternation.

Safe riding, my York friend (where, of course, it all starts) from a fellow Harley rider ('11 Road King and '13 Ultra Limited Anniversary model).

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #18

Bill,
When you get to Indianapolis, take I-465 north, around the northern part of Indy to I-865. It will take you to I-65 north. Take I-65 north to the 140 mm exit (IN-32). Go west on IN-32. It is a very good 2-lane state hwy that will take you to I-74. We always go this way when we head for Seattle, Wa. When you get to I-80, continue north ,around the northeast edge of the "quad Cities". You will cross the mighty missippi river and be headed due west on I-80.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #19

Deek and Indiana...

We are going to do part of the turnpike till we hit RT70 west...past Columbus and around Indy..then up the route Indiana you mentioned..

Deek...I manage a HVAC company who provides all the support to the plant...I ride a 1996 RK Evo with 90 HP and 100K in miles..shes a runner..

Wife has a custom 2002 Fatboy...big motor...cams and such..

Looking forward to Sturgis this year...We may head to Erie this summer also..Sister has a B&B in Meadville..

Bill
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Iron, Blacknchrome! My wife also has an '11 Road King. The day she got it, we set out from Erie for Grand Rapids, MI where we have a sister-in-law we adore. We ran at 72 through Ohio and nearly 80 all the way in Michigan (where if you are not doing 80, you might as well pull over and park!). We had a ball. How's that for two straight laced people -- one a high school principal at an inner city high school and the other a trial lawyer? Not exactly the picture you get about motor homers, is it?

I have had just about every model you can have and have loved the Road King. Simple, smooth, no collection of do dads, just the essence of Harley IMO. And we have kept ours stock with the exception of an LED light set I put on mine (really love it).

We have had a LOT of fun with the motor homing and we really like participating in this Forum. So many good tips, so many insightful posts, so much fun. We have learned a lot.

Looking forward to combining the riding with the motor homing -- we have both wanted to ride the bikes on Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway so we have to figure out a way to do what you do and take them with us.

Have a great trip to Sturgis. Ride safe.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Good Iron, Blacknchrome! My wife also has an '11 Road King. The day she got it, we set out from Erie for Grand Rapids, MI where we have a sister-in-law we adore. We ran at 72 through Ohio and nearly 80 all the way in Michigan (where if you are not doing 80, you might as well pull over and park!). We had a ball. How's that for two straight laced people -- one a high school principal at an inner city high school and the other a trial lawyer? Not exactly the picture you get about motor homers, is it?

I have had just about every model you can have and have loved the Road King. Simple, smooth, no collection of do dads, just the essence of Harley IMO. And we have kept ours stock with the exception of an LED light set I put on mine (really love it).

We have had a LOT of fun with the motor homing and we really like participating in this Forum. So many good tips, so many insightful posts, so much fun. We have learned a lot.

Looking forward to combining the riding with the motor homing -- we have both wanted to ride the bikes on Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway so we have to figure out a way to do what you do and take them with us.

Have a great trip to Sturgis. Ride safe.

Deek
We just did an all bike weekend with 18 fellow riders on the Skyline Parkway in October...Brenda my had a kidney transplant last june 22nd...so about 2 months later she did 3 weekends in a row...did over 1000 miles total...

Skyline drive is nice but it can be slow...lots of cars and such...find a place at a campground and run both ways on the HD's....we live only 100 miles from the top of the Parkway so its easy for us to get there.

Ever been to the factory?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Ever been to the factory?
Oh, yea. Seven times! Outstanding tour, great memories. Truly, nothing like it. Even H-D Museum pales a bit in comparison IMO.

Congrats to your wife. Glad to hear she is doing well and riding again. These gals are real riders sometimes.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #23

I also vote for route #3 through Columbus and Indy. I avoid Chicago like the plague, no way do I want to drive my rig through that mess.
Enjoy your trip, we will be work camping at Mt. Rushmore next year in the bookstores so stop in and say "Hi".
Not only do I get to go to Sturgis next year but I also get to ride in the Black Hills all season long! We are really looking forward to next summer!

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Oh, yea. Seven times! Outstanding tour, great memories. Truly, nothing like it. Even H-D Museum pales a bit in comparison IMO.

Congrats to your wife. Glad to hear she is doing well and riding again. These gals are real riders sometimes.

Deek
Well as you might be aware on the new building on the east end of the plant still stands..the old building 1 where you use to come in is still standing and was sold to the state...Building #3 the Softail plant was expanded to do all the bikes...I work for a large HVAC company and we maintain the equipment and I see the plant often...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
I also vote for route #3 through Columbus and Indy. I avoid Chicago like the plague, no way do I want to drive my rig through that mess.
Enjoy your trip, we will be work camping at Mt. Rushmore next year in the bookstores so stop in and say "Hi".
Not only do I get to go to Sturgis next year but I also get to ride in the Black Hills all season long! We are really looking forward to next summer!

Phil
Workin...count on us meeting with you...we will have 8 days out there...we are staying in Rush no More Campgrounds which is 10 or so miles south of Sturgis...looking forward to riding the black hills..
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well as you might be aware on the new building on the east end of the plant still stands..the old building 1 where you use to come in is still standing and was sold to the state...Building #3 the Softail plant was expanded to do all the bikes...I work for a large HVAC company and we maintain the equipment and I see the plant often...
Thanks for the tip. We will be traveling to York for another tour sometime this summer.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!