Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Your post brought back happy memories of my first trip in a MH. It was Aug 79 or 80 in a 1978 Mini Winnie. Went from LA to Sequoia, then to Yosemite, then over to San Francisco and down the coast back to LA. Fantastic trip!! Weird, I remember it like it was yesterday. I need to dig out those pictures. I took TONS of them

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi all
Up date. There are two bridges that have u go around the side area and cross the Merced River. The good thing is that they are controlled by a signal to allow one way traffic.The wait time at the light varies depending on traffic, weekdays better than weekends.The bridges are steel fab.portable. The slide is still unstable. There are many pull off areas to disconnect the tow if u decide . just outside of the Park there is a old temp scale area on the right After the bridg there are many pull off most on the right river on the right mountain on left be carefull not sure on the length of all. I think u will be ok on tow. 42 foot tour bus can get across and they dont turn at their back end. The long straight will end at Briceburg(MercedRiver canyon )u willsee the bridge in front of u as u drive the straight . U make a a sharp turn at this point to the left and begin the steep slow climp out of the canyon .Be careful of driving many drivers watch river more than the road. sorry 4 being long winded

Joe
Ka6bud
Mariposa Ca

Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks again to everyone for the responses, and to ka6bud for the more detailed info. I also found that you can get Google Streetview for this detour. Coming from Yosemite it looks like there is plenty of room to turn on and off the first bridge, but it does look like the turn onto the second bridge might be tight. The turn off the second bridge looks ok.
Thanks again for all the info. I was thinking about and realized that depending on the weather when we exit, that may be what makes my decision. If its wet and limited visibility, I will just take the safest and easiest route out (which seems to be 41) and add the time to the trip. Otherwise I might be tempted to try the 140 or 120 route and just take my time.

Thanks,

Steve
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Steve Hwy. 140 is the only all weather road in and out of the park. The only weather related issues are after heavey rain in winter the may be small rocks on road quickly cleared quite coomon not big deal usually in hour or less . When u climp out the canyon that will be last real pull mostly decline into Mariposa a slight pull south of town then more decline as u leave foothills At the county line u begin a long straight about 15 +miles into Merced and 99 north, a headed up ram is a incline and short with view slightly difficult becausefreeway is higher than ramp Afew more options are 41 south to Oakhurst then 49 to Mariposa the 140 to Merced this will get u around the bridges but miss the beauty of the river. The distance form Oakhurst -Mariposa about 26 compared to41 to 99 extremly out of the way.

Joe
Ka6bud
Mariposa Ca
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ive quite near CA-41 and use it a lot. It gets pretty twisty as you near the park and, once in the park, stays twisty until get to the valley. You could overnight at the Wawona (inside the park just about a mile past the gas station) campground to break up the trip. There is stuff to see there as well as in the valley.

When I take visitors through a 1 day tour (I don't really advise this but you do what you have to do), I go in on 41 so that you can get the full effect of the tunnel view (not to be missed), tour the valley and come out on 140 to Mariposa and then take 49 to 41 and home again. Makes for a long day.

On 140, it would be best to disconnect before the bridge. It is pretty tight. You could probably make it but the CHP would get unpleasant if you didn't.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it is considered rude to post to a very old topic, but in the interest of completing the story please forgive me in advance.

We spent May 4th through May 8th in Yosemite. We traveled in on the 4th from Fresno via CA-41, and exited on the 8th via CA-120.

After much agonizing over how difficult the drive was going to be, it wasn't that bad. I thought 41 in was worse that 120 out. 41 is narrow and twisty, while 120 is wider, more forgiving and even though it has switchbacks west of Groveland, there are nice straightaways between the curves of the switchback.

The Allison did its job climbing and more importantly its grade brake performed admirably on the descents. I didn't have to ride the brakes.

I didn't even consider 140 out, as no one could give a definitive answer as to whether I would have to unhitch the toad to get around the 13 year old "temporary" detour.

The biggest mistake that I made was following 120 over to 99 to head north and catch I-80 to Reno. I should have taken the advice here to take 49 up to Placerville and use US-50 to get to Reno.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help.

Steve
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the update.

We were there from April 18 - 23. Took Rt.41 in on a warm sunny day. By the time we were leaving, Rt. 140 was our ONLY option as Rts. 41 and 120 had snow chain restrictions. Below is a pic of the Rt. 140 detour (1st bridge leaving Yosemite)

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #22

Lots of good info here. I was wondering if there were any size restrictions driving on Hwy 120 from east to west, from Lee Vining on Hwy 395, through Yosemite and down to Hwy 41 and on into Fresno, Ca. I'll be driving a 38' Damon, pulling an 08' Chevy Malibu.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
You will be fine. We have driven it more than a few times with our 36' towing the car.

After Crane Flat, dropping into the valley you have a winding drive with a short rock wall on the right, with plenty of nothing but air. If your co-pilot gets nervous, this will be the place. I know Patty did the first time we drove this road.