Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

Yosemite Park CA Rt120

Planning a trip to CA this summer. Has anyone had experience driving CA Rt 120 from Lee Vining to Groveland?

We will be driving an 38 foot Adventurer pulling a Honda Fit.

Thanks for any and all assistance!!
Toole'n Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I did part of that route from Yosmite Valley to Lee Vining in 2003 with a 35 foot Suncruiser towing a minivan on a tow dolly. Also know as Tioga Pass Road.

Scenic, doable with a MH but scary at times as you have a 1000 foot cliff on one side and a thousand foot drop on the other (with no guard rail of course). Go to Google Map and you can get a 'street wise' view that actually shows your the road at street level.

Son #2 may be working at the Ahwanhee Hotel in Yosemite Valley this summer so I may be doing that route myself a few times!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Toole'n Along,

We have driven Tioga Pass road many times in our 36' DP, dozens on our motorcycle and even more by car in the 30 years we have lived near Yosemite. You don't say when you will be traversing Tioga (120), but it usually doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend....sometimes as late as the 4th of July.

First, if you need a place to stay before tackling the pass this is a nice scenic campground right in Lee Vining, elevation 6700 feet; RV Park Reviews :: Lee Vining, California ( CA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Second, the 8 miles to the entrance station will average 8% grade, gaining IIRC about 3K-3.5K feet. You will be on the inside of the road so it won't be too intimidating for anyone in the MH. There are pull outs on your right on the way to the top, but we are able to keep up with the traffic. I'm not sure if I would use a pull out....I don't know how much power you will have at 9K feet to get rolling again, and you can use pullouts after you crest, before the entrance station. Most people are sightseeing on the way up anyway From the Tioga entrance station to Groveland the road is good with numerous pull outs. Here is the link for vehicle restrictions: Yosemite National Park - Vehicle Restrictions (U.S. National Park Service)

You can see Tioga (120) cut on the left side of the picture.

Third, IMO places to stop for a view are Tuolumne Meadows (Lambert Dome is a nice scramble), Tenaya Lake, and Olmsted Point. Patty and I feel this part of Yosemite is truly the most beautiful. Of course the valley is a must see.

Enjoy our beautiful treasure.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Thank you for the info
Toole'n Along is offline   Reply With Quote