Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Your "Must See" U.S. Destinations

DW and I will be on the road for about 6 months next year to see this great country. We are taking our 37 ft. DP with an SUV toad. We are starting to make a wish list (mainly National Parks so far), and we would like to hear from everyone about their favorite places in the USA and Canada.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Len & Pat

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We've covered 37 states and about 40000 miles and our list would sure include Bryce Canyon Utah, Washington DC, Black Hills SD, and Yellowstone.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Ill just add one...but Im sure you will have plenty to choose from. Ive seen Mount Rushmore in the past BUT seeing the "Lighting Ceremony" was like seeing it for the first time all over again. This "Ceremony" is only done during the summer months I believe and its a very spectacular and moving experience. This sounds Like a Great TRIP.....Enjoy!!!!!
1995 Vogue PrimaVista 37'
Mollie and Cassie ..Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Humphrie, the stray Mini Schnauzer. RIP LiL Rubie and sweet Maggie!!
acampingwewillgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cape Hatteras National Seashore, lighthouses
Fort Sumter, SC
Fort Moultrie, SC
Big Bend, TX
Fort Davis, TX
Charles Pinckney NHS, SC
Petrified Forest, AZ

There's over 390 National Parks and Historic Sites. A lifetime of exploration.

Find a National Park, Historic Site
U.S. National Park Service Find A Park
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
If you get to the Nevada/California area, there are more things to see and enjoy than space here allows me to mention. But....suggest you consider some time on the Avenue of The Giants in Humboldt County's giant redwood country, about 225 miles north of the Bay Area. It is an amazing place! Also a Must See out here is Yosemite National Park. It will absolutely blow you away. By the way, neither place is a "drive by". A drive along the eastern side of the Sierra's on US 395 between Bishop, CA and Carson City, NV is filled with incredible scenery and neat things including a REAL ghost town as well as amazing geological formations. Mamoth Lakes off of 395 is a wonderful, beautiful place to visit. And by all means, spend some time at Lake Tahoe...its beauty and serenity is legendary. Have fun!!
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Banff National Park of CanadaBanff National Park in Alberta . If you get that far north come see us in Alaska.

If you do visit MT Rushmore the ride up 385 to the town of Deadwood is worth it

Little Bighorn National Battlefield in Crow Agency, MT Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (U.S. National Park Service). We drove our 40 DP throught the battlefield stopping along the way at the historical markers.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
These are some of the sites we will be seeing, too. In addition, we plan to visit all of the Presidential libraries. So far, we have been to three.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Thanks for the ideas so far. Keep 'em comming!
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
If you make it all the way out to the top left-hand corner and you have the time, I'd strongly recommend coming out to Anacortes, visiting the other San Juan Islands (but don't take the RV, it's ludicously expensive).

After visiting our home area, I'd suggest taking the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend and then heading south, first on SR20 and then on US101. !01 goes through the Olympic Peninsula of washington and then across the Columbia Rver into Oregon.

The Oregon coast is worth 4 weeks exploration, starting at Astoria and heading south to Cape Blanco. We haven't been any further south yet, since we just finished our second season with our current rig and were limited by the eventually terminal illness of our older dog.

Early next seaon, we're planning on doing the Olympic Peninsula from Port Townsend to Astoria and then the section of the Oregon coast as far south as Lincoln City.

Later in the season, who knows.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
I think one of the major highlights of our trip this year was going to the battlefields of Gettysburg. It definitely makes you think of the sacrifices made during the civil war. You could spend a week there and still not see all to see and do.

Dennis & Debbie Z (Retired) F415847
Pipe Creek, TX
2008 HR Endeavor 40PDQ / 2014 Grand Cherokee Toad
DennisZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #11

I think it really depends on your personal interests as to what is the favorite. We have RV'd in 47 of the lower 48 states, and Canada & Alaska. The places that we thought were the best (for us) were Niagara Falls (both sides) and the Washington DC area. In DC so very many of the museums and attractions are free - Smithsonian, etc. In DC area if you are a dry camper you can stay at Greenbelt National Park at a fraction of the cost of the private parks. You are in the middle of a forest but 20 minutes or so from downtown DC.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Let me also add this....Ive been to Branson on two occassions, this last time about two weeks ago. Now I realize were not talking a National Treasure nor a Natural Monument, but if "God and Country" give you that warm, fuzzy, tingling feeling(as it does me)..then I strongly suggest you have a visit. Some may consider it way too commerical, as well it may be, but in the 8 shows in the three days we were there, the prominence of "God and Country" was refreshing in this day and age and made me Proud to be an American! IMHO
1995 Vogue PrimaVista 37'
Mollie and Cassie ..Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Humphrie, the stray Mini Schnauzer. RIP LiL Rubie and sweet Maggie!!
acampingwewillgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Saguaro National Park, AZ is worth the drive to see these cactus in the hundreds. If you like to hike, there are some very nice trails here. I think Sequoia NP & Kings Canyon NP are more impressive than Yosemite, but if you have never been there I wouldn't miss any of the three. Of coarse the big one The Grand Canyon, again some hiking involved to truly get the feel of what this canyon is. Hiking into if not to the bottom at least to Tonto Plateau is an unbelievable trip. But seriously just hiking down about 1-2 hours gives you a complete different aspect of the canyon than looking into it from the south rim. If you go & hike in to the canyon be sure to be prepared it can get more difficult than it looks. Although I know some guys I work with in their late 50's & early 60's who have gone down to the bottom & back up in a day. I would prefer to take a few days or only go part way if I only had a day. Sedona AZ is a must see also. The town is cool in its touristy way, but the area surrounding Sedona is absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We have a trip planned for next Sep to go back for a week. We have been there numerous times. I could go on, but others have made great suggestions also & I am sure there will be more to come.
The post about Gettysburg is also a good suggestion.
Where ever you end up, if NP's are on your list you are sure to have a great experience.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
There are untold things to do and see in this great land. Two things I would recommend.......

View the Grand Canyon from the rim and consider the distances and various colors and textures.

At Yosemite, stand at the Tunnel View Overlook, take in the view, and consider the beauty the Almighty has created for us to enjoy!

We once had an exquisite moment at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We went there that afternoon to watch the sun set over the far rim. It was magnificent seeing that shimmering, big orange ball fall below the horizon. Filled with seeing that beauty, we turned to walk back to our vehicle. WOW!!!!! Before us was the huge yellowish disc of the rising full moon! The timing could not have been more perfect.

'14 Winnebago Vista 35F, '14 GMC Terrain
BlueOx Towing Pkg, SMI Stay-n-Play
49 States & 7 Provinces visited in MH | WIT W112365
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote