Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125
I40 around Oklahoma City, Ok. We actually exited because we thought we blew one of our duals the road was so rough.
Been there! Know what you mean about that stretch.

HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with I-84 from Hartford, Ct. to Scranton, Pa. Small stretches of I-81 in PA, south of Scranton. to state line.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #17

This is going to be a big thread. I think Indiana and Louisiana tie in the crappy road race.

I agree about Oklahoma City, but who here has driven in Detroit?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #18

Detroit? No way! I was driving from Chicago to western New York at the start of our first summer trip and went through Canada via Port Huron. I avoid Detroit roads like the plague. I-94 is almost impassable in spots with huge chunks of concrete missing. West of Detroit I-94 is fine, at least up until Ann Arbor.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #19

I-680 between Milpitas and Dublin, California is still pretty rough. Enough to pop open the microwave in our old gasser and eject the glass turntable!

There was a terrible section of Hwy 101 between Carpinteria and Santa Barbara as well that jolted a fire extinguisher out of its holder but they recently fixed that.

Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just returned last Thursday from a 6,180 mile trip. Traveled I-15 to I-70 to Indiana, played around there and then went to North Caroline, South Caroline, and Georgia, then Tennessee, then took the I-40 back to SoCal.

Wife and I both agreed that IN GENERAL, the further East we traveled the better the highways are. California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona are some of the roughest roads out there and don't seem to concerned about spending any tax money to make them better.

Mind you all road have their spots, but by and large Mid-West and East Coast roads were terrific compared to West Coast roads.

So if your Mid-West or East Coast thinking your roads are bad, don't bother coming to Kalifornia!

I put fruit in my travel mug before I leave for work and have a smoothie when I arrive... no blender necessary!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #21

I'll add a positive note... Roads in Florida were really quite good. Coming from Carrabelle towards Orlando we took US 98 to US 27A to I-75 in Ocala. There were almost no bad spots. I think between the light travel they receive and the lack of snow and ice, the asphalt stays in good shape for longer periods of time. This Christmas on our journey to Orlando we are bypassing I-65 in Indiana and trying US 41 south through the western part of the state down to Evansville. I'm hoping the lesser traffic of that route will mean better roads!
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #22

I-5 through Seattle
I-20 between I-635 and Terrell,Tx
US-45 between Meridian, Ms and Mobile, Al, shook the swing-arm for the flatscreen off the wall hook
Louisiana
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #23

I just drove the length of I 5 in both directions in my beloved California. It ranges from bad to nearly impassable. Around the Grapevine is particularly bad. Every freeway within 100 miles of LA is a complete embarrassment. Very sad.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for I-5...terrible especially around LA. It's ok once you get to OR.

We also had a very, very bumpy ride last year on I-10 just east of New Orleans. Almost shook the TV off.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #25

You all have NOT been to Alaska have you?? Lets see, frost heaves that will make an 8 second ride seem like childs play. Then there are no or very small shoulder and in some areas no break down lane at all. How about the 135 mile Denali highway that is about 120 miles of gravel road that is NOY open in the winter. Howabout the Dalton highway that claims vehicles on a regular basis, not to mention how it likes windshields.
All that just goes for making a very interesting trip, and I would not trade it for all of the paved roads in the 'lower 48'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
You all have NOT been to Alaska have you?? Lets see, frost heaves that will make an 8 second ride seem like childs play. Then there are no or very small shoulder and in some areas no break down lane at all. How about the 135 mile Denali highway that is about 120 miles of gravel road that is NOY open in the winter. Howabout the Dalton highway that claims vehicles on a regular basis, not to mention how it likes windshields.
All that just goes for making a very interesting trip, and I would not trade it for all of the paved roads in the 'lower 48'!

I second that....I remember having to drive almost 30 miles before I was able to make a "U" turn because I missed a turn. It took us 30 miles to find an area big enough to unhook and make a turn.The road coming down from Chicken to Dawson City was a trip and a half....holes in the road that were pretty big, and you had to drive over them, and you couldn't go around them. With the help of the road crews that were directing traffic and guiding us around each hole. I remember also driving on a road that took us forever to cover 10 miles because of the frost heaving and gravel/rock road.
The toad had so many dings and chips.....but it was worth it.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Add the Pennsylvania Turnpike and this would be my list.

Rick
I hear you there about the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We came through there the 1st of July going to Gettysburg and my Lord i am sure we got more gray hair from that road. We don't ever want to go through Pennsylvania again. Bad Roads and People wanting to drive faster then speed limit. A Big RV with Toad can not turn on a Dime and with Road Construction it was not a good drive.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor16 View Post
I hear you there about the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We came through there the 1st of July going to Gettysburg and my Lord i am sure we got more gray hair from that road. We don't ever want to go through Pennsylvania again. Bad Roads and People wanting to drive faster then speed limit. A Big RV with Toad can not turn on a Dime and with Road Construction it was not a good drive.
And THEN.... I loved being hit with a $58 toll charge when I finally got off of that road. I'll be back real soon too.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote