Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #43

I 65 from 94 to Indy is a POS.Going home from The FMCA Rally on a different road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I 65 from 94 to Indy is a POS.Going home from The FMCA Rally on a different road.
My coach is now in the shop at Precision due to damage to the rear fiberglass cap received on I-65 northbound between Indy and Chicago. The most likely cause was tire debris which is EVERYWHERE on I-65 in Indiana. Between the huge potholes, broken pavement, and other problems on this so-called interstate, it will stay as my number 1 worst road I've ever driven on. Having said that, the responses my thread has brought are very frightening. It's amazing how many terrible roads we have in the USA.

By the way, the drive from Chicago to Precision in Bremen Indiana was rough on the eastbound tollway. Especially near Chicago, the road also approaches the conditions found on I-65. Indiana needs to do something. These roads are a disgrace.

rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #45
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hands Down! The Entire State of California!!!! The I-5 is our shining example of what the worse road in America can be. Others may have bad roads, but what distinguishes California's roads from others is that we pay .31 a gallon tax on our gasoline for our crap roads. Highest road tax in the nation.....oh yeah.....the politicians have been stealing the tax money for pet projects until a few years ago when they were exposed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to add I-29 in Iowa, in fact I-80 wasn't much better.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #47

route 295 by pass richmand VA. it will rattle your teeth.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #48

I-75 Detroit to Ohio border.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congress is afraid to put people to work on fixing any infrastructure because they think if the country goes to crap then their guy will be elected. The roads are a casualty of politics. The transportation bills need to be passed for work to proceed. I don't see any difference happening any time soon. Roads need to be fixed everywhere, except where they are important for tourist dollars, and the locals get bonds passed to pay for them. If you can help it just don't buy fuel and pay taxes in the worst areas, maybe the states will catch on and do something.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #50

Sadly, Judy is right IMHO. Politics and lack of willingness to do things to improve our country are hurting at all levels. Congress does nothing unless it benefits them and their cronies. Special interests dictate where the money goes and roads are not a priority. Look around at the bridges, roads, sidewalks, and other public structures. They're all crumbling and there's no money to fix it.

I better take a chill pill! I have a feeling many others here agree though... It's a national tragedy the way our infrastructure is deteriorating!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #51

I think you are confused as to who maintains the roads. This is mainly a state responsibility with a very few exceptions. Interstates are a state responsibility. I see a lot of work being done on some of the roads mentioned above, so maybe they will catch up soon. I don't want Congress fixing roads. States previously received a lot of federal funding to do some infrastructure upkeep, but that has been cut. States are trying to fill that gap without raising taxes, and most are doing a pretty good job of that. There is just a lot of catch up to do. Let's keep the pressure on our state elected officials to do their jobs. They should maybe hear what visitors think of how they are doing with respect to roads. Again, we have RV traveled in more than a dozen states in the past 12 months and I see a lot of heavy repair being done, to include bridges.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I don't want Congress fixing roads.
That horse is pretty much out of the barn. That's what the Federal fuel tax is supposed to fund.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #53

I agree the states should be funded for these projects, but with all the partisan politics at the state and federal levels nothing gets done quickly. Yes, there are projects going on but not nearly to the extent they should be to protect our infrastructure. Here in Illinois, where corruption is a favorite hobby of our politicians, road projects that are completed frequently (and mysteriously) need to be redone in a year or two because the work is so shoddy.

Whether state or federal, the system is broken as well as our infrastructure. It matters not what political label you put on it - they're all the same. Again, apologies for my rant! It's just so frustrating!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #54

all though they are starting to finish it, i-15 through salt lake city gets my vote. it makes the grapevine seem like a super highway
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Alaskan Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Come on up to Alaska, all of our roads are full of frost heaves and pot holes, you just got totry and miss the large one and hold on
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Hands Down! The Entire State of California!!!! The I-5 is our shining example of what the worse road in America can be. Others may have bad roads, but what distinguishes California's roads from others is that we pay .31 a gallon tax on our gasoline for our crap roads. Highest road tax in the nation.....oh yeah.....the politicians have been stealing the tax money for pet projects until a few years ago when they were exposed.
I totally agree with Don on this one. After living in CA for 16 years and paying some of the highest fuel prices/taxes in the nation so the local politicians can go on their Boondoggles while serving in their state government, no wonder there isn't any money to fix the road system. It's all in the politician's pockets.

The only other road that I have traveled on which is WORSE than the ones in CA is a 100 mile section of the Alaskan Highway in the Yukon starting just north of Destruction Bay all the way up to the border at Beaver Creek, YK. If you are going more than 15-20 mph and still using both sides of the entire road, you WILL do some damage to something.

Now remember that these are paved roads. There are plenty of roads in Alaska and the Yukon that are worse but they are NOT paved roads by any stretch of the imagination.

Dr4Film ----- Richard